#54810 July 08th 2006 10:48 pm
OP Offline
i bought a box on ebay a while back
it's a MTX carpeted box, with voice horns
and a pair of 12" MTX road thunder speakers
they arrived crackling and even a 50X4
dash radio made em break up
got the box cheap so i kinda expected it
and just got a pair of THUNDER 3000 12" to replace em with (expecting them this week)
to go in front of a SONY EXPLODE single cd player
50wX4
and a 300W VR3 single channel amp
also have 2 - 8 inch alpine subs in another box i may use depending on space available and how it sounds
i have a second battery in to power the amp,stereo and power inverter separate
- think it will sound ok with just the MTX box?
or should i add a couple 6X9's somewhere too
-wiring and i don't do well together,and after a couple dash board toasters over the years thought i'd ask if i should scrap what i got and start over or what i may need to make what i got work well
i like it loud.. but not sounding like crap

AdSense long
Re: MTX speakers,sony stereo and VR3 amp
#54811 July 10th 2006 3:39 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
Erick you will need some Mids as well as a few tweeters to make it crisp

#54812 July 13th 2006 7:23 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
And so it starts, the endless saga of, "sounds great, I want more." You'll be needing an amp capable of running a 2 ohm load to put on the 12's, and it'll be committed to them only. Get some 6" speakers for your doors, hook these to the radio, it'll only handle 4 speakers, so any more will require a small amp. I wound up putting a 400x4 Jensen under my pass seat for my factory speakers, have 6, they will cause aftermarket radios internal amps to overheat is you have 4 outs and 6 speakers. See, 2 4ohm speakers in series take it up to 8 ohms, amp output isn't max at this, but at parallel, they go to 2ohms, a radios internal amp is only stable at 4 ohms, a 2ohm load will burn it up. Many external amps are rated at maximum RMS output per chanel is attained at 2ohm, but some only handle a 4ohm load, anything lower will cause it to overheat and shut down. Reason I'm a Rockford Fosgate fan, their amps have max output at 2ohm per channel, 4ohms in bridged mode. Stay away from Sony amps, as well as their radios, I've heard problems with amps frying and the tuners having CD failures.
Ebay is kind for amps, you can get the older Rockford Fosgate amps reasonable, they are underrated too, push far more than what's listed.
Mine all started with a single Rockford Fosgate competition 15, free from a friend, had it on a Jensen 500x2 amp, wasn't enough. I got a Rockford Fosgate 800x2 amp from my father in law, freebie, I had to order a new cap to solder inside. With the Jensen 500x2, needed a speaker, Bestbuy had a Rockford Fosgate HE 2 12" sub and Q-logic box on sale, had to have it. See where this is going, 1 12 is good, how about 2, so bought another identicle one, had to upgrade to a better amp, in comes a Rockford Fosgate 500x2. I had a custom box build by a competition builder, on the side, tuned and ported for low hits.
Friend gave me a Kenwood 12, same one who started it all giving me the 15, I put it in the empty Q-logic box, it'll get the Jensen 500x2, "where do I put it?" I have a sickness, I refuse to sell or give away stereo equipment, just let it pile up.

#54813 July 13th 2006 8:49 pm
OP Offline
best radio i ever had was a pioneer
supertuner III single CD
on 4 180w jenson 6x9's -that system went through 4 or 5 of my vehicles, and 2 of them were vans
windshield leaked in my 65 when i was on my way to keystone soggyness a couple years ago- must have gotten wet, or just expired, but went dead and never lit up again-
( i ended up going to cabella's and got a power inverter and fired up a home kenwood reciever for the ride home ..
used it that way for a LONG TIME lol )
-i know some high dollar tunes i got here
but sometimes the less comlicated stuff sounds the best
-i decided not to use the single channel amp i have here, i ran the rear wires to the MTX box (R & L)
it has the 2 new 12's i just got and a couple motorola voice horns in it
that alone today sounded pretty good with just
the sony explode 50x4 pushin em
i still have a pair of 180w jenson 6x9's in
carpeted boxes that would match the MTX box
and riding with that to the NATS
-i did try the amp ,but i must be doin somethin wrong ,because it sounded way way too deep
even with the gain and freq turned all the way down- speakers took it great,they really hammer but sounded bad, i may have a setting in the tuner for the amp lines output,overdriven is they way i heard it
but sounds good with no kick, and with the 6x9's
together it's louder than the van, and thats what counts LOL

<small>[ July 13, 2006, 08:51 PM: Message edited by: leadfoot1965 ]</small>

#54814 July 14th 2006 3:06 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Low frequency is for bass, high is for mids, should be a switch on the amp, it's an internal cross over, sounds like it was set on flat. You set the 12's on low, and the 6x9's on highs, the 12's will not handle highs, they have to either have a choke coil wired in, or amp be on a cross over to only allow the lows to it, regular tunes will burn up the voice coils. Put the 6x9's on the radio output, no need in amping them, unless all of the radio speaker outs are already used.
I had the first Supertuner that came out, great radio, had it in 2 vehicles and never quit.

<small>[ July 14, 2006, 03:07 AM: Message edited by: maples01 ]</small>

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (MufflerMan Mike), 13 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747