Boxdin
Vanning.com logo
We host with and recommend Your-Site.Com - This site works best with FireFox - this site is powered by UBBCentral

Site Navigation

Advertisements
Recent Posts
Mlarky's Dodge....gonna keep her after all.
by mlarky
B.V.A. presents Return to Cortland July 25-27th 2014
by HighwayStar
05:05 PM
New ride and loving it
by HighwayStar
05:03 PM
Keystone Madness, September 18-21, 2014, Summit Station, PA
by HighwayStar
04:59 PM
Ok, So I finally finished the Van Interior and most of everything else.
by jules73
04:33 PM
""Show Vans & Show Girls""
by shaggy
04:12 PM
Vannin Doc Screening - August 9th - Muskegon, MI
by Steel_City_Stax
04:10 PM
Super Somer 13 "A Custom Van Event" August 8-9-10, 2014. Somers, Ct
by OVANNER
03:58 PM
Engine light comes on >65 but goes away
by Maciej102
03:47 PM
Generic AC for use in vans at truck-ins/evants/cam
p-outs

by Reed
01:34 PM
Featured Links

-->
Cluster Map
Locations of visitors to this page
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#537086 - February 07th 2012 9:36 am Re: HELP PLEASE with fuel gauge/sending unit [Re: Lee7673]
DrBob Offline
veteran

Loc: Stephentown NY
I'm trying to picture what your doing to test it before you put it into the tank. Are you hooking it up to the wires that are in the tank for testing or are you just hooking it up someplace after tank but before the gauge?

If it's working hooked up to the tank wiring before you put it in the tank but not after, you have a break in the wire that's making momentary connection or a bad plug in line just before tank.
I always feel I could do less.
"The only thing wrong with a perfect drive to work is that you
end up at work."
NOVA VANS
1990 Dodge B150

#537499 - February 08th 2012 2:10 pm Re: HELP PLEASE with fuel gauge/sending unit [Re: Lee7673]
Superbeast Offline

Madman!

Loc: Dayton, New Jersey, U.S.A.
This is the reason most people hate automotive wiring.

I'm just grasping at straws here, but what about grounds? Is it possible that with the sending unit installed in the tank and the tank in place, you are loosing a ground or creating one where there shouldn't be one?

I remember my 73 Cuda had a braided wire with 2 clamps on it that clipped to the fuel sender line and to the line running to the carb. An old timer told me once it was to balance the voltage for the sending unit to work properly. Don't know if he was right or not though.
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"

#537554 - February 08th 2012 4:52 pm Re: HELP PLEASE with fuel gauge/sending unit [Re: Lee7673]
NateNCBV Offline

Administrator

Loc: Brooklyn Park, Maryland, USA
Mopar sending units are grounded via the fuel line running up to the engine. That jumper strap must be in place for it to work.

A-100 Van Association
Honorary Canadian(You Hoser!)
--------------
1994 Dodge B250 Elk Conversion (5.2L/A518)
1985 Dodge B150 "Burnin' Desire" (5.2L/A727)

#537568 - February 08th 2012 6:17 pm Re: HELP PLEASE with fuel gauge/sending unit [Re: NateNCBV]
Lee7673 Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Maryland
Originally Posted By: NatetheskateNCBV
Mopar sending units are grounded via the fuel line running up to the engine. That jumper strap must be in place for it to work.

Nate,
This is after market tank and sending unit. Its a Spectra sending unit (its the only after market brand I could find and I couldn't find a NOS one). The sending unit has three things coming out of it: a fuel line, a connection for the wire going to the gauge cluster and a tab with a wire coming off of it with a ring at the end for grounding (which I have grounded to the chassis). Do I still need the jumper strap?
Thank you in advance...I appreciate all of your input.

#537597 - February 08th 2012 7:24 pm Re: HELP PLEASE with fuel gauge/sending unit [Re: Lee7673]
Phoenix Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Evansville, Indiana
I have rebuilt my own sending unit in my 75 , same sending unit, anyway it is easy as bending a few tabs and opening up the little box and see if the rheostat is making contact with the finger that is supposed to be doing just that or do like Nate says and put the old one in, best bet if there are no new ones from your dealer. I know there are about three left for the Phoenix vintage FOS from Dodge at stock price. I got one for my tank Change. IF push comes to shove I have another brand new '86 tank and you can get a stock sending unit for it and just bring your wires around to the side of the tank and hook it up. Dodges are all the same set up even my 86 tank is dimpled for the right rear dump of the older models. They were pretty good about making easy changes. Good luck, Just an after mkt glitch I am sure

Been There, done that, Member of those....

Built for comfort not for speed angel....Well speed too !...smile

I am a vanner, Promise me the world, give me nothing, I'll be back ... next year !

#537645 - February 08th 2012 10:05 pm Re: HELP PLEASE with fuel gauge/sending unit [Re: Lee7673]
Lee7673 Offline
pooh-bah

I spoke with a mechanic tonight and he thinks the tank might be positively charged (due to all of the excess wiring in the van....a wire might have been hit with a screw...he had 4 batteries in the van....its a mess). He said if it was it would only take a couple of millivolts to cause the gauge not to work.
Thoughts?

#537748 - February 09th 2012 7:15 am Re: HELP PLEASE with fuel gauge/sending unit [Re: Lee7673]
NateNCBV Offline

Administrator

Loc: Brooklyn Park, Maryland, USA
Originally Posted By: Lee7673
Originally Posted By: NatetheskateNCBV

Nate,
This is after market tank and sending unit. Its a Spectra sending unit (its the only after market brand I could find and I couldn't find a NOS one). The sending unit has three things coming out of it: a fuel line, a connection for the wire going to the gauge cluster and a tab with a wire coming off of it with a ring at the end for grounding (which I have grounded to the chassis). Do I still need the jumper strap?
Thank you in advance...I appreciate all of your input.

Ah so. Okay..I didn't know the new sending unit had a dedicated wire for ground. Are you positive the chassis is getting a good ground up the the battery? Mopar wiring in those years is a nightmare I admit...all the lights and stuff are grounded via the chassis as well.
A-100 Van Association
Honorary Canadian(You Hoser!)
--------------
1994 Dodge B250 Elk Conversion (5.2L/A518)
1985 Dodge B150 "Burnin' Desire" (5.2L/A727)

#537751 - February 09th 2012 7:30 am Re: HELP PLEASE with fuel gauge/sending unit [Re: Lee7673]
Superbeast Offline

Madman!

Yeah, that's the strap lol
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

#537752 - February 09th 2012 7:34 am Re: HELP PLEASE with fuel gauge/sending unit [Re: Lee7673]
Superbeast Offline

Madman!

Originally Posted By: Lee7673
I spoke with a mechanic tonight and he thinks the tank might be positively charged (due to all of the excess wiring in the van....a wire might have been hit with a screw...he had 4 batteries in the van....its a mess). He said if it was it would only take a couple of millivolts to cause the gauge not to work.
Thoughts?

That's kinda where I was going with the strap deal I was talking about. I wouldn't think the tank being charged would make a difference though because of the rubber seal between the tank and the sending unit. I guess anything is possible though. I you have a voltmeter, test the tank if it will read that low.
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

#538033 - February 10th 2012 12:18 am Re: HELP PLEASE with fuel gauge/sending unit [Re: Lee7673]
Lee7673 Offline
pooh-bah

YEA!!!! Problem resolved!!...great news. I have the fuel gauge issue resolved! I had two issues going on simultaneously. The float wasn't set right and there is a loose connection in the plug in the rear of the instrument cluster. Since the sender would always work out of the tank but never in the tank, I dropped the tank again (3rd time) and I took the rollover gasket off of the top of the tank so I could see inside and be able to manually move the sender float. I also hooked the sender up to a battery on my bench that was hooked up to a voltage limiter and a fuel gauge. I then put 5 gallons of fuel in the tank while it was out of the van and on my workbench....and nothing happened. I then put another 5 gallons in and the fuel was just beginning to touch the float!!! So I re-adjusted the float rod (bent it) until I was getting it to float and register correctly on the gauge. I then drained the tank again and re-installed it (getting good at this) and the fuel gauge in the van worked but then stopped. I realized that if I wiggled the plug at the back of the instrument cluster, it would work again. I have a very poor connection at the plug and will be changing out the cluster. It feels great to finally get this resolved. NOW......I can start replacing all of the brakes!!!!em resolved!!!

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Upcoming Events
AdSense
Instagram Feed
Who's Online
2 registered (Knightjp, 1 invisible), 2 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
tdc, IRIEMON, roostervanner, DCPDGUY, VanManDan345
7865 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
lukester 102
Reed 93
newkirkinc1 87
HighwayStar 75
jules73 72
kursed 71
MACE 69