Rate Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Steam out the tailpipe
Altosax #532193 January 23rd 2012 3:09 am
A
Altosax Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thanks, lemme think on that. I will try to post some pics or link a vid tomorrow.

wrcsixeight #532491 January 24th 2012 3:11 am
A
Altosax Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Originally Posted by wrcsixeight
Originally Posted by Altosax

I theorize these Mopars are extremely forgiving. Runs cool, not a high compression, etc. Maybe it will blow up - I ain't sure.

I'll be interested to see if there is much oil consumption if you can get it to stop steaming.

Is there any coolant in the oil?

Nope, no coolant in the oil, tho it has not been run very long yet. Engine has good compression, too. I saw your interesting thread in "Bob Is The Oil Guy" about your rebuild some time ago.

Altosax #532572 January 24th 2012 2:00 pm
Madman!
Madman!
It's been quite a few years since I messed with a small block Mopar, but I swear the head gaskets were a mirror image front to back. The picture you show of the gasket on the block deck has the top water jacket hole blocked by the head gasket and the rear is open. IIRC, the heads have a passage hole cut into the front portion of the head for the coolant to flow up and into the intake and back out the water pump. The gasket you show, with having the one hole blocked may be causing your issue. Do you have a picture of the gasket before the head went on from the other side? Did you install them both the same way? Although, maybe not, I guess the locator pins wouldn't allow you to put them on wrong.

I would start by double checking the part numbers to make sure they are accurate. Then borrow a coolant pressure tester and pressurize the system and watch to see if pressure drops. Next, I would check the spark plugs on that side of the engine and look for spots or differences in the plugs as water in a cylinder will show up on the plugs.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Van Clan Plus One, Canada
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

[Linked Image]

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"
Altosax #532575 January 24th 2012 2:03 pm
Madman!
Madman!
PS: If it comes to pulling the heads off again, one trick I learned years ago, if using gaskets not impregnated with sealer, get a can of silver spray paint and paint the gaskets before installation. I'm not sure why it has to be silver, but it does. I've done it with every engine I've ever built and never had an issue with the head gaskets leaking.

PSS: Those little red plastic things are supposed to go in after the intake gaskets go on to help keep the gasket from slipping during intake installation.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Van Clan Plus One, Canada
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

[Linked Image]

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"
Superbeast #532764 January 24th 2012 8:40 pm
A
Altosax Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Ran this 318 a bit today, at least until I realized alt belt was trying to bail out. Got to temp, maybe it did "vapor" somewhat less. Looks like this at low low idle:
[Linked Image]
Shows OP: at temp:
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Little blip on gas pedal produces more cloud action:
[Linked Image]
Plugs pulled just after, recovering from super rich idle from the other day all drvr side look like these:
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
So I don't know what I have got here. Maybe there is coolant finding its' way into combustion - or maybe a heck of a lot condensation...but just one side? I will run it more tomorrow after I get alt mount issue resolved and try some of the cooling system pressure tes as has been suggested. Kind of thought I might find clue that coolant was getting to #1 due to corny handling of gasket tab or maybe insuff torque down on that hard to reach head bolt...

Altosax #532771 January 24th 2012 8:45 pm
Maniac
Maniac
It looks fine to me. Fix the belt, check the coolant level, and take it for a test drive.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Altosax #532796 January 24th 2012 9:24 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
You can't read used plugs with a new problem Put in a new set and run five miles and take a look. I learned that with my old carb tuning problems. Old messages get mixed with new problems and you don't get the right diagnosis. at least one new plug on either side , but all new will give a head gasket leak a location. That if you can afford to loose a set of plugs just for testing. Some people in here can't do that. But those that can't can take theirs and have them cleaned and at least give an idea where the problem is.

Cheers!

Been There, done that, Member of those....

Built for comfort not for speed angel....Well speed too !...smile

I am a vanner, Promise me the world, give me nothing, I'll be back ... next year !
[Linked Image]
Phoenix #532802 January 24th 2012 9:51 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Originally Posted by Phoenix
You can't read used plugs with a new problem Put in a new set and run five miles and take a look. I learned that with my old carb tuning problems. Old messages get mixed with new problems and you don't get the right diagnosis. at least one new plug on either side , but all new will give a head gasket leak a location. That if you can afford to loose a set of plugs just for testing. Some people in here can't do that. But those that can't can take theirs and have them cleaned and at least give an idea where the problem is.

Do you know I still have one of the old spark plug cleaners.
OOOps now i'm telling my age LOL

The only Stephentown on earth.
I don't mind Coming to work,
but that 8hr wait to go home is a bitch.
No matter how little I do,
I always feel I could do less.
"The only thing wrong with a perfect drive to work is that you
end up at work."
NOVA VANS
1990 Dodge B150
Altosax #532856 January 25th 2012 12:12 am
A
Altosax Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Hey Dr. Bob - You remember the lever to advance "spark" on the steering column? The throttle you could set on the dash? Did you ride in the rumble seat? I sure did, and not in no parade either!

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (MD VAN MAN), 17 guests, and 7 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
drivestylish, MGCBBQ, rick74, Keithl, G10brett
12736 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 183
Wedgy 43
CatFish 31
frscke1 31
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,844