Boxdin
Vanning.com logo
We host with and recommend Your-Site.Com - This site works best with FireFox - this site is powered by UBBCentral

Site Navigation

Advertisements
Recent Posts
Scooped Dodge
by Reed
15 minutes 48 seconds ago
Pontiac motor in a Chevy
by JEEPNHAL
45 minutes 36 seconds ago
New G20 shorty
by JEEPNHAL
Today at 06:38 PM
My 1979 G10
by JEEPNHAL
Today at 06:33 PM
New to me Astro
by johncj5
Today at 04:56 PM
E85 in non E 85 van
by Lionvan
Today at 04:17 PM
New (old-ish) non-running van...
by Reed
Today at 03:23 PM
Obligatory newbie post.. any other vanners in RVA?
by Rusty_Pancelode
Today at 11:47 AM
The black bitch...restoration
by Capn Scurvy
Today at 08:56 AM
My 75 Chevy Van
by lostinthe70eees
Today at 08:30 AM
Featured Links

-->
Cluster Map
Locations of visitors to this page
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#529271 - January 13th 2012 11:55 pm Re: Is that diesel I smell?? [Re: aftoyboy]
I_am_new Offline
addict

Loc: N.Ky
Originally Posted By: aftoyboy
I've been planning for the zombie apocalypse for a while now too.

yeah

Its a VAN not a CAR

1995 Chevy 30 6.5 diesel wo/windows

#529350 - January 14th 2012 10:52 am Re: Is that diesel I smell?? [Re: aftoyboy]
OldMitch Offline
stranger

Loc: Albuquerque, NM
My van is a G30, 14bff rear, dana60 front, 400small, th400, np205. I'm ready to be done with the small block (I just moved to phoenix, and I bet my siamesed heads will not appreciate phoenix summers). And I hate not having overdrive. Hate. Hate it. A lot. It wouldn't be a huge deal, but the van had bigger wheels on it, years ago, before I bought it. So the last owner put 410's in it. Due to money issues, I may just end up putting new gears. I think it needs them anyway; when I get into or out of the throttle quickly, I get a "thunk" sound out of the rear. I checked the drive line already, and there's no slop in the ujoints or anything.

Anyway, I have a pretty good foundation for my zombie apocalypse mobile, I think. I do need a new roof though. It doesn't have drainage notches in the gutter, so it's rusted all the way around. When it's raining outside, it's sprinkling inside. Lame.

#529355 - January 14th 2012 11:21 am Re: Is that diesel I smell?? [Re: OldMitch]
PYSCHOWard Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: NW Pa
If you want POWER, Diesel is a Good choice, but I sure am glad my cummins isn't That loud.
New 4 Seasons Criuser, 74 B100, The Night Train
Member of the Toopa Sinner Tribe

#529726 - January 15th 2012 8:18 pm Re: Is that diesel I smell?? [Re: Superbeast]
Carlton Offline
addict

Loc: SC
Originally Posted By: Superbeast

Also, if it doesn't have a turbo, it's a dog, but will pull a house down

Hey, hey now. I think my 6.2 full size van is pretty quick.

Oh wait, it must be the 4 speed manual trans smile

My little Mercedes 190D turbo will flat out zip right along and smoke the tires if necessary while giving 40 MPG smile

1984 Chevy G20 solid panel van

Factory 6.2 DETROIT DIESEL, 4speed manual, dual A/C, cruise, power windows & locks.

#529733 - January 15th 2012 8:53 pm Re: Is that diesel I smell?? [Re: OldMitch]
vanfun Offline
veteran

Loc: Hartville OH
If you want a the best overall out of the box right now you will have to go whith the Duramax. You want the best motor (sorry Ken) it is the cummins. You want a daily driver pull a trailer now and then you cannot beat the powerstroke pre 06.The cummins all day long with a trailer your going to get 13 mpg empty 5 spd you can get 22 by experience. Now the 97 is the best year for these 99 they did another fuel pump which last like 90 thousand and the poof expence..... The powerstroke with a decent size trailer, 10. Empty pushing 20. 06 and later you could give me one I would run it till the head bolts blew and then give it back. The 6.0 is junk. Back to the duramax the 01 No!!! then on they got the ducks in a row and well they have done very well for themselves out of the box. There is not alot you can do with them but out of the box they are the best overall. In a van you cant beat the powerstroke pre 06.Any other questions bring it on Baby!! rofl

Member Shenandoah Valley Vans
Van = Party. Party + cool people = Vannin'. Lets go Vannin'!

#529777 - January 16th 2012 12:09 am Re: Is that diesel I smell?? [Re: OldMitch]
frscke1 Offline
carpal tunnel

Loc: San Diego California
Originally Posted By: OldMitch
My van is a G30, 14bff rear, dana60 front, 400small, th400, np205. I'm ready to be done with the small block (I just moved to phoenix, and I bet my siamesed heads will not appreciate phoenix summers). And I hate not having overdrive. Hate. Hate it. A lot. It wouldn't be a huge deal, but the van had bigger wheels on it, years ago, before I bought it. So the last owner put 410's in it.

I know its not diesel but..

My '93 G30 454 4X4 EXT has a 4L80E, np205, 4-56 spicers in a Dana 60 ft & GM 14 Corp rear, Bilstien 5100's, BFG 315/75/16, 146" wheelbase. This was all factory or govt, well almost I have increased the tire size to mellow The Beast, still way more motor than tire,they only made 3.

The OD will be nice when you get it I cruise 70 mph and barely touching the gas can....
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146 WB

#529781 - January 16th 2012 1:10 am Re: Is that diesel I smell?? [Re: OldMitch]
Uncle_Fester Offline
Festerus Vannimus

Loc: On Route 66 in Bethany Oklahom...
There is a guy over on www.coloradok5.com that makes motormounts to put a cummins in a 73-87 (?) chevy pick-up. . . . He SHOULD be able to help you out if you go cummins. I forget his screen name, but should not be too hard to find. Good luck !

1)The 1991 Dodge B250, J.Y.D.

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !

#529782 - January 16th 2012 2:03 am Re: Is that diesel I smell?? [Re: OldMitch]
draggnastro Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Springfield, Illinois
Originally Posted By: OldMitch
Good info. My main interest in the cummins 6bt is the fact that it doesn't have any brains. I'm not into the conspiracy theory sort of thing, but here's my goal with converting my van to diesel. Once the world falls apart and we're over run with zombies and liberals, and we all have to flee up into the mountains to save our families, I want a vehicle that doesn't require a mobile computer command center to fix if something goes wrong with it's computer controlled components. I'm a big fan of the KISS mentality (Keep It Simple, Stupid). If/When I break down, while running from a pack of spleen-hungry zombies, I want to be able to grab a wrench, hop out, fix the problem while beating out zombie brains with said wrench if need be, and get on with fleeing to the mountains. Also, I hear that waterproofing a cummins (or any diesel without tons of electronics) is really easy. That way I can drive right on through any rivers and such that might stand in my way... You get what I'm saying.

Sounds like you need a duece and a half. They will run on anything and can be fixed mostly with a hammer and crescent wrench.

So as far as other brands go, are there any that run well, are dependable, and are purely mechanical in functionality? Basically what my intent is, is to have a ultra tough, fixable, versatile (in the fuel department) machine; an immortal miniature RV, to go anywhere I could possibly want to go, see?

Member Vanatics Van Club-Spfld, IL
Member Florida Van Council
Member Central Florida Vans,-Orlando, FL

#529785 - January 16th 2012 2:19 am Re: Is that diesel I smell?? [Re: OldMitch]
fritz Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Wausau, Wisconsin
Yay a diesel Thread!!! One day I'll build a diesel monster. But it'll be a Vuck a big 4x4 van truck. I'll put a shorty dodge body on an old motorhome frame with a dually bed out the back, cummins-nv4500 and big straight axles rolling super single semi tires. The side door will hinge down for a porch and I'll keep the back doors so I can open them up to the bed, big roof rack too. Someone stop me!

#529803 - January 16th 2012 8:05 am Re: Is that diesel I smell?? [Re: fritz]
Carlton Offline
addict

Loc: SC
Nah, continue........

I wish I had taken a photo of the local guy who recently bought something similar to what you're describing. It was a Ford Centurion conversion with stacks. I saw it pretty much every day for a few months then when I'm looking for it to take a photo, it's no where. It was ugly but cool as hell!

Originally Posted By: fritz
Yay a diesel Thread!!! One day I'll build a diesel monster. But it'll be a Vuck a big 4x4 van truck. I'll put a shorty dodge body on an old motorhome frame with a dually bed out the back, cummins-nv4500 and big straight axles rolling super single semi tires. The side door will hinge down for a porch and I'll keep the back doors so I can open them up to the bed, big roof rack too. Someone stop me!

1984 Chevy G20 solid panel van

Factory 6.2 DETROIT DIESEL, 4speed manual, dual A/C, cruise, power windows & locks.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Upcoming Events
AdSense
Instagram Feed
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Lyle, BigBeau, owlcore, Shahadey, 72152
7923 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
lukester 120
Reed 110
Uncle_Fester 82
newkirkinc1 77
jules73 77
HighwayStar 76
kawrider 71