Boxdin
Vanning.com logo
We host with and recommend Your-Site.Com - This site works best with FireFox - this site is powered by UBBCentral

Site Navigation

Advertisements
Recent Posts
Captain_E's new daily driver
by Captain_E
1 minute 20 seconds ago
Obligatory newbie post.. any other vanners in RVA?
by jules73
Today at 03:01 AM
The black bitch...restoration
by 86ed
Today at 01:21 AM
New G20 shorty
by 86ed
Today at 01:18 AM
Thinking about buying this van, any input?
by 86ed
Today at 01:10 AM
New (old-ish) non-running van...
by Reed
Yesterday at 10:43 PM
Another addition to the fleet
by wookee
Yesterday at 08:55 PM
Aluminium heads--- my head is spinning.,.
by Blag
Yesterday at 07:13 PM
4.3 Fuel Injection Question....
by pauldeere
Yesterday at 07:07 PM
She got a BUS!
by owlcore
Yesterday at 05:33 PM
Featured Links

-->
Cluster Map
Locations of visitors to this page
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#526958 - January 06th 2012 10:26 pm Re: Help me I.D this hose please. [Re: mrmattvan]
mrmattvan Offline
addict

Loc: Georgia (the swamp)
Thanks for the feed back!

We don't have inspections down here...yet...

I guess i will leave it on until it dies. i don't know if its close to poopin out but the pulley looks a little wobbly..I don't hear a grind or any thing. I have priced them at around 75$ new online.

#526994 - January 07th 2012 12:06 am Re: Help me I.D this hose please. [Re: mrmattvan]
Ram4ever Offline

Loc: Dundee, Michigan
Do you have a catalytic converter in place? If so I'd leave the air pump on. Working in conjunction with the catalytic converter an air pump reduces hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide in your exhaust. Without a catalytic converter, an air pump would serve little purpose...

Despite opinions you'll hear in abundance, an air pump only consumes about 1 Hp. As an example to compare this against, common vintage air conditioner compressors might consume 8-15 Hp. Unfortunately my Dodge is in the 12-15 Hp crowd with my antiquated RV-2 v-twin compressor... modern 3hp rotary or scroll compressors like a Sanden are in my dreams!

People who claim magical improvements in performance by removing air pumps typically removed them and a bunch of other parts at the same time when they had far more serious problems and were casting about for solutions which they could do in a hurry and on the cheap, like removing things they didn't understand or couldn't test properly from the engine.

Bringin' her back - the construction never ends!

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

#527054 - January 07th 2012 11:13 am Re: Help me I.D this hose please. [Re: Ram4ever]
mrmattvan Offline
addict

Loc: Georgia (the swamp)
Originally Posted By: Ram4ever
Do you have a catalytic converter in place? If so I'd leave the air pump on. Working in conjunction with the catalytic converter an air pump reduces hydrocarbons and carbon monoxide in your exhaust. Without a catalytic converter, an air pump would serve little purpose...

Despite opinions you'll hear in abundance, an air pump only consumes about 1 Hp. As an example to compare this against, common vintage air conditioner compressors might consume 8-15 Hp. Unfortunately my Dodge is in the 12-15 Hp crowd with my antiquated RV-2 v-twin compressor... modern 3hp rotary or scroll compressors like a Sanden are in my dreams!

People who claim magical improvements in performance by removing air pumps typically removed them and a bunch of other parts at the same time when they had far more serious problems and were casting about for solutions which they could do in a hurry and on the cheap, like removing things they didn't understand or couldn't test properly from the engine.

Thanks for the info! I do have my cat in place. Its crazy that older ac compressors take up that much hp!

#527088 - January 07th 2012 2:19 pm Re: Help me I.D this hose please. [Re: Ram4ever]
CatFish Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Georgia, USA
Originally Posted By: Ram4ever

??
I didn't think I claimed any horsepower gains........?
I removed the air pump because the bearing was bad and the piping had a hole where it met the exhaust pipe. The van passes emissions here with flying colors even without the older vehicle allowance (it's an '88). I think a vehicle with EFI/EEC gets very limited emissions benefit from the air injection anyway or so I've seen (based on the years it has tested before and after).

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Uncle_Fester 
Upcoming Events
AdSense
Instagram Feed
Who's Online
2 registered (quiet1, aberle), 2 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
BigBeau, owlcore, Shahadey, 72152, LFC_Rob
7922 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
lukester 120
Reed 110
Uncle_Fester 80
newkirkinc1 77
jules73 77
HighwayStar 76
kawrider 74