Boxdin
Vanning.com logo
We host with and recommend Your-Site.Com - This site works best with FireFox - this site is powered by UBBCentral

Site Navigation

Advertisements
Recent Posts
Defrag & Disk Cleanup
by Meanmachine
14 minutes 25 seconds ago
Natural State at the moment.
by newkirkinc1
37 minutes 38 seconds ago
Guess the 2014 Nationals attendance.
by newkirkinc1
38 minutes 53 seconds ago
New to vanning
by newkirkinc1
40 minutes 31 seconds ago
B.V.A. presents Return to Cortland July 25-27th 2014
by newkirkinc1
41 minutes 38 seconds ago
ADIRONDACK NATIONALS
by EricS
Today at 01:01 AM
Road Map or GPS
by CatFish
Today at 12:52 AM
My Humble Opinion As To Vanning After Being Absent For 25 YEARS:
by Starlord
Yesterday at 11:25 PM
How to put on a van run ?
by radicalvans
Yesterday at 10:55 PM
The ultimate custom camper.
by ignitionlive
Yesterday at 08:20 PM
Featured Links

-->
Cluster Map
Locations of visitors to this page
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#525584 - January 02nd 2012 11:56 am UH OH !! new problem > No fuel press ( S.O.S. )
Hammer_Head Offline

Loc: Philadelphia, pa
Van stalled out the other day ,I am not getting any fuel pressure , the rear tank hasn't worked since I got the van , but the front was ok , now I acn hear the pump in the tank but i get no fuel pressure , I think this van also has an external fuel pump , I saw something that looks like a canaster on the driverside frame rail just behind the fuel filter could that be it

> trying to get this thing to freeze out

member of the PennsylVANia Van Council

#525610 - January 02nd 2012 2:21 pm Re: UH OH !! new problem > No fuel press ( S.O.S. ) [Re: Hammer_Head]
Uncle_Fester Offline

Festerus Vannimus

Loc: On Route 66 in Bethany Oklahom...
Have you changed the fuel filter recently ? Could be a clogged fuel filter blocking the fuel flow. . . .

If you can hear the pump, them it SHOULD be working. Disconnect the line feeding the fuel filter and turn the key to ON, if the pump is working, fuel will FLY out the tube! That will tell you real fast if it is the fuel filter or fuel pump. . . . .or atleast give you a good idea.

1)The 1991 Dodge B250, J.Y.D.

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !

#525631 - January 02nd 2012 4:50 pm Re: UH OH !! new problem > No fuel press ( S.O.S. ) [Re: Hammer_Head]
Hammer_Head Offline

yea i just put a new one in like a month or so ago , i think its time to just re-do the whole thing tanks pumps etc...

#525636 - January 02nd 2012 5:11 pm Re: UH OH !! new problem > No fuel press ( S.O.S. ) [Re: Hammer_Head]
Uncle_Fester Offline

Festerus Vannimus

Might be, but why spend all tat cash if it is a $15.00 part ? There is not alot of parts to a fuel system, tank, pump, lines, filter, and carb or injectors. . . . . . just curious, what year FORD do you have?

Founder & President of Sooner or Later United Truckers and PROUD TO BE A S.L.U.T. ! !

#525642 - January 02nd 2012 5:22 pm Re: UH OH !! new problem > No fuel press ( S.O.S. ) [Re: Hammer_Head]
Hammer_Head Offline

its an 89 limo e-150 (tandem) the rear tank has a hole in it , and the pump dosent work , not sure if it is the switching relay or not , it is hard to work on as it does not fit on a normal lift , so my thoughts are instead of fighting with it replace it all and I wont have to worry anymore ... I hope

#525644 - January 02nd 2012 5:27 pm Re: UH OH !! new problem > No fuel press ( S.O.S. ) [Re: Hammer_Head]
Wizard78 Offline
Supreme Master

Loc: Virginia
Originally Posted By: Hammer_Head
Van stalled out the other day ,I am not getting any fuel pressure , the rear tank hasn't worked since I got the van , but the front was ok , now I acn hear the pump in the tank but i get no fuel pressure , I think this van also has an external fuel pump , I saw something that looks like a canaster on the driverside frame rail just behind the fuel filter could that be it

> trying to get this thing to freeze out

Hope you get it fixed,Can't wait to see you shift

Owner & Creator of Wizard's Van-In Videos
Member of Riding High Truckers from 1982 to 1996
2nd Member of The Toopa Sinner Tribe
Member of Free Bird Vanners 1996 to Present
Member of Cape Atlantic Truckers South Jersey
Host Club of Freeze Out
Certified Nats Judge
Member of Shenandoah Valley Vans

#525645 - January 02nd 2012 5:33 pm Re: UH OH !! new problem > No fuel press ( S.O.S. ) [Re: Hammer_Head]
CatFish Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Georgia
I think you said it was an '89 Ford?
You should have three fuel pumps. Each tank has a low pressure pump in the tank and then the high pressure pump is inline right after the fuel filter.
The low pressure pumps operate off the dash mounted transfer switch and put out about 4 to 5 psi. This pressure operates the transfer valve located on the drivers side frame rail(the large black device with six or so fuel lines entering and leaving). Ford uses this type of pressure operated valve instead of an electrical valve.
The fuel goes then to the high pressure pump which kicks it up for the injectors. It goes into the fuel bypass valve mounted on the fuel rail on the rear drivers side of the manifold. The bypass is a diaphragm type valve about as big around as a silver dollar and has a vacuum line that controls it.
If your tanks are/were dirty you could have a fouled screen in the transfer valve are just a stopped up sock on the in tank pump.

#525646 - January 02nd 2012 5:33 pm Re: UH OH !! new problem > No fuel press ( S.O.S. ) [Re: Hammer_Head]
Uncle_Fester Offline

Festerus Vannimus

it could be the switching unit changed over to the "bad" tank and that is your problem. . . missed the part about dual tanks. Good luck either way and let us know what happens.

#525650 - January 02nd 2012 5:41 pm Re: UH OH !! new problem > No fuel press ( S.O.S. ) [Re: Hammer_Head]
CatFish Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Georgia
Cleaning the tanks, replacing the pumps, transfer valve, filter, and bypass can be expensive but, after mine set-up for a few years and the tanks got yucky, that's what I ended up doing.

You might check the bypass valve. If it's bad it will bypass all the fuel back to the tank via the transfer valve.

Edited by CatFish (January 02nd 2012 5:47 pm)
Edit Reason: ksfs

#525651 - January 02nd 2012 5:42 pm Re: UH OH !! new problem > No fuel press ( S.O.S. ) [Re: Hammer_Head]
Hammer_Head Offline

i dont think it switched to the back tank cause it is now empty and I am reading the front tank level , so there is another pump > thanks for the info on where to find it , if the high press pump is fouled will I get any pressure reading at the injector rail cause when I hear the in tank pump run I still read "0"

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Uncle_Fester 
Upcoming Events
AdSense
Instagram Feed
Who's Online
1 registered (scruloos), 5 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
mkycnfxt, Big_D, Rene, NoFNWayJose, josh_sasse
7859 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
lukester 99
Reed 91
HighwayStar 87
newkirkinc1 86
al55 72
jules73 71
Captain_E 68