1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: UH OH !! new problem > No fuel press ( S.O.S. )
Hammer_Head #525732 January 02nd 2012 11:27 pm
OP Offline
AWWWWW , YEA THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE

[Linked Image]
member of the PennsylVANia Van Council
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Hammer_Head #525772 January 03rd 2012 7:41 am
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
One thing that was very cool about it was the brake and suspension system for the tag axle.
The rear suspension was air bags and the tag axle brakes were a separate system from the van and was operated only by a pressure switch. The tag brakes had a large air diaphragm that operated it's own master cylinder. It had a lever attached to the axle that moved as you added weight and increased the air pressure to the air bags, to level the van, and it also increased the air pressure to the tag axle brake diaphragm.
With no extra weight in the van the tag had almost no brakes. This prevented sliding the rear tires when stopping. But add weight and the pressures went up.
More weight=more tag brakes. I thought it was a pretty cool set-up.

Last edited by CatFish; January 03rd 2012 7:44 am. Reason: ksfs
Hammer_Head #525791 January 03rd 2012 9:52 am
Vanner
Vanner
Ric from Van Clan had constant problems with the HP pump and the relay valve in his 88........There are alerts out on this problem....One issue was the HP pump wiring was compromised where it was pinched to the frame...and another issue was his ignition switch was going out and was not working on one pump or the other at times......

Once he sorted that out , the LP tank pumps went out on him...

His solution was when he switched to the carbed stroker, the LP pumps stayed and the HP pump was removed.....Now he has another LP pump out...

I was thinking that taking the relay out all together, and putting a manual valve in place with an integral electric switch for the LP pumps before the HP pump may be an option....

I don't need to be honoured by Vanning, I am honoured to be Vanning !
Supporting Vanning, by going Vanning In A Van !
I hate it, when real life interferes with Vanning !
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
I.B.O.B.
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers
Hammer_Head #526030 January 03rd 2012 8:08 pm
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
The transfer valve swaps the supply AND return to the selected tank. It is pressure operated by the LP pumps and has only one or two moving parts. The only thing that can hurt it is dirt.

Hammer_Head #526042 January 03rd 2012 9:11 pm
OP Offline
i was looking at it just a few mins ago , the pumps are both comming on , I removed the out going fuel line and turned it on it was just spitting out some gas the first two times the third time was more flow but not a solid stream of fuel and still no fuel press

does anyone think that the hp pump is malfunctioning or that the problem exhists before the hp pump , it has a new fuel filter but I didnt remove the fuel line after the tank to check flow there

IT'S FREGGIN COOOOOOOLD.....OUT THERE !!

[Linked Image]
Hammer_Head #527198 January 07th 2012 11:51 pm
OP Offline
OK, here we go I pulled the fuel lines off of the selector valve on the frame rail and turned the key to get the pump running , I hear the pump ,"NO GAS" guess I'm droppin the tank tomorrow , wish me luck

[Linked Image]
Hammer_Head #527273 January 08th 2012 9:20 am
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
[Linked Image]

Hammer_Head #527326 January 08th 2012 12:51 pm
addict
addict
Before you do that - do you have a fuel pressure switch in the system?? The reason I ask is that you stated the fuel pumps do come on for a couple seconds when you turn the key. That is normal and the system is designed to do that until correct fuel pressure is reached at which point they shut off unless the engine is started requiring more fuel to maintain pressure. Yours could be bad causing the pump to cut off at extremely low pressure and creating this problem.

I don't know how the ford system checks pressure, but I thought I remember a pressure switch on the rail. I would check that first if you have one. I know that on many GM systems it is a built in function of the pump in which case you're dropping the tank anyway, but I thought it worth mentioning. Incidentally, when I had a similar problem with my Chevy TPI system, I found the rubber hose connecting the pump to the pump hat inside the tank split causing the fuel to just spray around in the tank. But the pump itself was fine. Gotta thank the new blended fuels for that one!

Colin
aka "Fatvanman"
1975 Chevy G20 Shorty "Lunchbox"

"The great ones never die, they just get older, fatter and drive better vans!"

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3913766/1975-chevrolet-van
Hammer_Head #527371 January 08th 2012 5:08 pm
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
The Ford system (EEC IV) has a pressure regulator mounted on the rail that bypasses excess fuel back to the tank. The ECM runs the pumps for a few seconds (like a timer would) and then waits for a signal from the distributor that you have engine rotation. It then starts the pumps and runs continuously until you turn off the ignition or the engine stops rotating or the inertia switch is tripped. A vacuum signal to the regulator adjusts the fuel pressure based on manifold vacuum. Less vacuum=more pressure.

GM systems run the pump after start-up based on oil pressure, stop the engine, lose oil pressure (or have the sensor go bad) and the fuel pump will shut off.

BTW: Colin's right about the blends, they're harder on older systems.

Last edited by CatFish; January 08th 2012 5:10 pm. Reason: btw
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Astro, Uncle_Fester 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530