Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: First time Engine Removal
#45379 March 16th 2006 11:04 am
P
OP Offline
P
Heres a thought, could the camshaft be moving back and forth in the block, such as the thrust button being worn? I should mention that this engine only has 60,000 miles on it

#45380 March 16th 2006 11:36 am
W
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
W
I took my 4.3 out of my 93 the front  - You can drop the crossmember like cheygod did and drop it out the bottom but then you need to come up with a way to lift the whole body up to roll the engne out.Or cut the fron valance. The biggest problen I found was finding a replacement 4.3. GM stopped prodicing 4.3 crate engines and only offer a factory remaned 4.3 I had a local machine shop rebuild mine for $1,300.00  - I have yanked engines out of a couple of my earlier Chevy vans. This one was a challenge because of all the extra junk they have added to these later model engines.Not really a recomended job for an inexperianced mechanic..... Your knock sounds like a risk pin. Electronic gauges being inaccurate is a myth Even with the high mile my 4.3 would run 60lbs when cold.I have ran electronic gauges with GOOD results.All of my late modle GM's have factory electronic gauges in them. Mine always ran quiet.I was able to put 240,000 miles on it before I yanked it......Wookee [ March 16, 2006, 10:54 AM: Message edited by: wookee ]

#45381 March 16th 2006 11:58 am
P
OP Offline
P
Dude i cant thank you and everyone in this forum for the pictures and help. I totaly understand how it comes out of there now. The wrist pin makes sense. Once the aluminum piston expands, the clearance becomes greater causing the noise. DOH! I think it's time to get the garage organized! I got's me a motor to pull [Wink]

#45382 March 16th 2006 12:34 pm
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Yes, on my van I cut the fron header behind the bumper. I will fab it to be a bolt in part later. This meant I didn't need to get the van quite so high up, just enuff to clear the tires.

If you can get the body high enuff to drop the motor/trans without cutting the header bar, this is the way the van is built, with everything loaded from underneath. Otherwise, the mototr comes thru the front with little or no trouble. Just take your time and work slow and it'll happen.

Best regards,
Tom

#45383 March 24th 2006 11:12 am
P
OP Offline
P
The adventure thus far: Ok i have the motor stripped down ready to pull out. If everything goes right i will have it out this weekend. You know this isnt as bad as i thought! Anyway the only bit of bad news is that this v-6 is freaking EXPENSIVE!!!! The roller v-6 with the balance shaft is not cheap and it's hard to score parts if you want to tweak it a bit. That being said, i have decided to upgrade it to a V-8 because it's cheaper and i really need the horsepower. I'm afraid the V-6 would not be happy climbing the mountians around Ouray, Co, plus hauling camping gear and dirt bikes. My only concern is the ECM. My computer in the van is also used in V-8 equiped trucks and vans. To do the conversion, do i just need a chip that is for that V-8/ transmission combo? I'll take some pictures of it this weekend and post them. Thanks everybody! [Confused]

#45384 March 24th 2006 3:39 pm
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
I believe most all of the wiring, brackets, and accessory components will work from 4.3-6 to V8. You will need an intake, distributor and related parts for the plug wires, exhaust manis and maybe Y-pipe, possibly motor mounts and mount stands on the frame, fan shroud and maybe fan & clutch.

Check with someone in the know about the TBI units, as it may be the correct unit, but may need bigger injectors. I know a 4.3 Astro TBI unit has a different throttle cable actuation method than my 5.7 TBI unit I have from an 87 G-Van (I think the Astro 4.3 cable pulls from the front while the 5.7 cable loops around the motor and pulls from the rear). Also, you will need extra hardware (nuts and bolts) as there are 2 extra cylinders and everthing that bolts to them.

I believe the wiring will fit as far as length, but you may end up with AC , heater, and radiator hoses being a little long, as the accessories have moved forward.

If you know someone with a V8 version of your van, do an A-B comparison of the 2. Out her in SoCal, V-8 TBI vans are becoming common; I don't know the parts yard resources you have avaiable to you. In the end, after pricing and sourcing parts, you may find the 4.3 to still be the way to go after all.

Best regards,
Tom

#45385 March 24th 2006 4:10 pm
P
OP Offline
P
I live in the Dallas-Ft. Worth Metroplex and belive me the yards down here are FULL of vans! I have my eye on a 1994 G20 chevy with a v-8 still in it. all of the electronics are gone, but all of the hard parts remain (motor, manifolds, mounts, intake, pulleys, ect) i have seen some other vans with the injectors and tbi setup. If any of you guys ever make it down to the dfw area, the wrecking yards are worth a visit!!!! Ive seen some early stuff show up here and there.

The front springs will need to be updated as well right?

#45386 March 24th 2006 5:13 pm
C
enthusiast
enthusiast
C
Damn, I forgot the springs. You may need to change them unlees you're interested in having the nose dropping a little. I don't know the difference in weight btw a 4.3 and a SBC, but I imagine it cannot be much. Once you have the swap completed, see how she sits and corners. It you like it leave it alone.

Find a rebuilder that ships motors, they should be able to give you a weight for each motor,

Different subject, but if you see a Late G (91-95 I think) with factory powere mirrors, give me a shout. That is the only setup I need for my van before I button everything up.

Best regards,
Tom

#45387 March 26th 2006 1:11 am
W
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
W
When I was thinking about swapping my v/6 to an 8 I found out that the puter and the chip is the same as the v/8.

I never hauled any thing but kids and ass in my van.If you are planning to do allot of traveling in mountian ares, and you guys have real mountians out west.The V/8 swap will be worth the extra money spent on the swap............Wookee

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 24 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users