Page 14 of 20 1 2 12 13 14 15 16 19 20
Re: Engines - Ford vs GM
M_S #449684 March 01st 2011 4:54 am
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by M_S
Yeah, I read top and not fifth.

You are dead wrong about the SLS doors, I've heard from nobody that likes those.

The doors were popular I guess in the 60s with the Original gullwing; but weren't too practical.

I kinda like them on the SLS... but yeah.... they're not to everyone's taste. Over here we don't care much about practicality. If its got a good engine, its sold. lol

OK.. back to engines.. I happen to know that Jeremy loved the engine in the GT. Frankly I don't blame him... laugh

AdSense long
Engines - Triton vs Vortec
Knightjp #450853 March 04th 2011 4:58 pm
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Decided that since I need to get the engine for a van, I would go in for one of the current van engines... i.e. 5.4L Triton V8 or a 5.3L Vortec V8..

I wonder which one out of these two would be better overall (including factors of maintenance frequency and fuel efficiency)...

Right now I'm searching through various forums to find out what issues owners have had with them...
On the upside, I did manage to find a VW LT here finally. Its one that looks like this with the same suspension and 4x4 drive...
[Linked Image]

It kinda makes me sad that I have to remove that suspension and lower it to make it look like the TMNT van. Maybe I would look into doing something that is raises the ride height for off-roading... :P

Triton Vs Vortec
single choice
Votes accepted starting: March 04th 2011 4:49 pm
Re: Engines - Triton vs Vortec
Knightjp #450881 March 04th 2011 6:19 pm
addict
addict
Although I own a Chevy van, I have historically been a Ford guy. And so I am actually familiar with both engines.
And although I do like the Ford 5.4, the Vortec is the better choice. That same block architecture is used in iron versions
and aluminum aka corvettes. With relative ease and minor expense they can make serious power, even using take off parts
from higher performance versions, not to mention that same block is capable of over 6.0L displacement. And there is the
rub with the Ford. As it has a much narrower model range it was used in, there aren't nearly the upgrade options as the Vortec.
And as the bore spacing is so tight, the Ford can't be enlarged much bigger than it already is. Again, a great engine, but
it can't compare to the Vortec in displacement options and the huge amount of cheap replacement and upgrade parts.

Colin
aka "Fatvanman"
1975 Chevy G20 Shorty "Lunchbox"

"The great ones never die, they just get older, fatter and drive better vans!"

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3913766/1975-chevrolet-van
fatvanman #450901 March 04th 2011 7:00 pm
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by fatvanman
Although I own a Chevy van, I have historically been a Ford guy. And so I am actually familiar with both engines.
And although I do like the Ford 5.4, the Vortec is the better choice. That same block architecture is used in iron versions and aluminum aka corvettes. With relative ease and minor expense they can make serious power, even using take off parts from higher performance versions, not to mention that same block is capable of over 6.0L displacement. And there is the rub with the Ford. As it has a much narrower model range it was used in, there aren't nearly the upgrade options as the Vortec. And as the bore spacing is so tight, the Ford can't be enlarged much bigger than it already is. Again, a great engine, but it can't compare to the Vortec in displacement options and the huge amount of cheap replacement and upgrade parts.

I was actually planning to use them as stock... not much mods or upgraded parts.
Anything you can tell me about their maintenance issues... ?

Knightjp #450921 March 04th 2011 9:29 pm
addict
addict
Similar, as both are recent designs. In repair costs the Vortec may have an edge as it is still a pushrod motor as opposed to the additional complexity of overhead cam, but as both are extremely reliable it may be a non issue. The Vortec will likely have an edge in low end torque over the Triton, especially if equipped with the tall long runner truck manifold. And as I don't recall the specs, you may want to look up the dimensions because if I remember correctly, the Vortec should be significantly narrower which will aid fitting into the engine compartment.

Colin
aka "Fatvanman"

fatvanman #451096 March 05th 2011 4:17 pm
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by fatvanman
Similar, as both are recent designs. In repair costs the Vortec may have an edge as it is still a pushrod motor as opposed to the additional complexity of overhead cam, but as both are extremely reliable it may be a non issue. The Vortec will likely have an edge in low end torque over the Triton, especially if equipped with the tall long runner truck manifold. And as I don't recall the specs, you may want to look up the dimensions because if I remember correctly, the Vortec should be significantly narrower which will aid fitting into the engine compartment.

True the Vortec should be narrower... but if it is a pushrod engine, why does Triton have more torque than it???
Or is it the way that the torque is produced???

Knightjp #451158 March 05th 2011 8:45 pm
addict
addict
Ford did an excellent job on the Triton. As for the debate on pushrod vs. overhead cam and torque, it really greatly depends on cam profile, intake runner size/length, etc. I don't know what you are using for reference, but I have seen many specs showing Ford with more, Chevy with more, relatively even, etc. It depends on which specific application. But the 5.3 Vortec in the Tahoe's & pick-ups uses a taller intake than passenger cars giving it much better low end torque at the expense of top end HP. That is what you would want to use in a van anyway, and should be the specs you are comparing. They should be pretty spot on with the 5.4 Triton, if maybe a little higher. But again, I mainly reccomended the Vortec due to better availability, lower parts costs, and narrower size to aid fitment since upgrading performance isn't a priority to you. But that same upgrade ability means you have more options as well.

Colin
aka "Fatvanman"

fatvanman #451368 March 06th 2011 3:16 pm
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
[Linked Image]