Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20
Re: Engines - Ford vs GM
Knightjp #446723 February 17th 2011 5:02 pm
GO TO YOUR LOCAL DRAG STRIP AND WATCH WHAT PERFORMS WELL WHICH IS DURABLE, SIGHTS, SOUNDS, FITS, HP TO WEIGHT RATIO...TAKIING A POLE IS JUST HAVING SOMEONE ELSE CHOOSE FOR YOU.....GO TO THE TRACK CAUSE IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU WANT A HOT ONE

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
ADRENALIN BY THE GALLON & CHASIN RACIN
ONE FOR THE DIRT & ONE FOR THE STREETS
'93 CHEVY G30 454 4X4 SPORTVAN EXT 146" WB
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146" WB
AdSense long
frscke1 #446834 February 18th 2011 3:36 am
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
The local drag strip usually features Fast & Furious style tuners.
There is no doubt that the GM performance engines will be a good choice; especially the LS3. According to this thread they are the hot favorites due to ease of installation, price and reliability.
Ford engines seem to have a rep of being costlier, problematic in terms if installation and even in terms of reliability according to some people I've talked to. Thoughts not shared by fans who claim that they're actually easier to work on and are really more reliable. I haven't seen much of Ford fans replying in on this thread to comment further.

To be honest I always find myself leaning towards the camp of the underdogs in whatever comparison. Right now its Ford. If it was GM, I would be leaning towards the GM camp.
There is just something in me that takes into account the fact that what the Ford fans talk about couldn't just be something random.
My only conflict is that my head would say go with the popular choice, my heart would say go with the underdog.... lol

Ripper #446835 February 18th 2011 3:54 am
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ripper
Basically, I have found over 30+ years of working on all kinds of vehicles, that it all comes down to personal preference. If you like Fords, you'll say Fords are the best. If you like Chevys, they are the best. Same for Chrysler. I won't talk foreign. Asian or You're-a-peein', same thing. Don't like them, never will. Way too expensive to fix, and they DO BREAK, unlike what they try to tell you.

Which of the 3 camps do you find yourself??? I'm betting its Chevy..

Knightjp #446878 February 18th 2011 12:43 pm
Ive owned Mopar, Ford and Chevy....Im driving my choice....

I just had the heads done on my '92 ( the white one ) easy to get to, $400 to rebuild, $35 timing chain & gears, oil pan, ft seals, HD torc conv. shift kit and posi pak for the rear... 2 days later up & running. they are easy to work on and parts are cheap (well here in the states)

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
frscke1 #446901 February 18th 2011 2:42 pm
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by frscke1
Ive owned Mopar, Ford and Chevy....Im driving my choice....

What was the Ford???

Originally Posted by frscke1

I just had the heads done on my '92 ( the white one ) easy to get to, $400 to rebuild, $35 timing chain & gears, oil pan, ft seals, HD torc conv. shift kit and posi pak for the rear... 2 days later up & running. they are easy to work on and parts are cheap (well here in the states)

Well I can see what you mean about the easy maintenance and availability of cheap parts.

Hows the Dodge??? There are quite a few Dodge conversion vans for sale here.

Knightjp #446958 February 18th 2011 7:56 pm
86 ford 5.0 f150 step side
86 gmc 4.3 v6 safari
75 ply 440 duster
64 bonneville 4 dr sedan
79 toy truck

SUNSHINE VANS-VAN DIEGO
Knightjp #447736 February 22nd 2011 10:12 am
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
My colleague just told me about a work truck used by Aprillia here. They basically use it to haul bikes and parts and actually doesn't stay idle from the day they bought it.
Its a Ford F150 and has been abused from day one. Rash driving, 3 accidents and rough use has left the interior shot with scratches, tears and dents all over. Its done well over 100,000 km from 2009 when it was new. Hows the engine... just needs an oil change every now and then.

The company was actually looking to get a Tundra because of Toyota's reputation over here... but instead decided on the Ford and they're glad they did. Kinda goes against the norm here considering Ford's rep here in Dubai.
I did ask why didn't they think of GMC or Chevy.
According to the company, the Chevy looked too nice and slightly too delicate with its bumpers, etc... to be used a work truck.

Gives a good testimony for Ford. An abused truck that still runs so well...
Ford - "Built Tough"... lol

Knightjp #447741 February 22nd 2011 10:36 am
old hand
old hand
They are all three VERY good. Really there is no CLEAR winner. I am a car nut and have been since I was born. I also tend to lean towards what is different instead of following a the crowd. I have owned many Fords, Chevys, and Dodges. If your Ford is stock or NEAR stock, it cannot be beat in terms of dogged reliability. But Ford made more changes to their drivetrain over the years, so can be a bit more confusing to repair or modify. The chevy is easier to modify and has more aftermarket support, since the classic small block was in production soo long. But I am a VALUE shopper and the Chevys have always been a bit too expensive for me to buy them as often as the other two. Dodge is Generally the leader in styling and uniqueness. The durability is not quite up to the other two but still very good. Parts are harder to find, but if you find the right model the PAP (junk yard) can fix that. (I have a post about this in the Dodge section.) I am NOT a Ford, Chevy, OR Mopar guy. I am a car guy. I currently own 2 Dodges, 2 Fords, and 2 imports. Over the years I have owned mostly Ford. Not because I am a Ford guy, but because they tend to be the best value time and again. With the truck/van chassis, I have owned mostly Dodge and currently have a Dodge van. No prejudice against Chevy here, just a tendency to buy the other two more often.

motorjunkie #447798 February 22nd 2011 1:20 pm
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by motorjunkie
If your Ford is stock or NEAR stock, it cannot be beat in terms of dogged reliability. But Ford made more changes to their drivetrain over the years, so can be a bit more confusing to repair or modify.

I guess as with the work truck I mentioned earlier, Fords are reliable despite what most people say...
Ford - Fix Or Repair Daily (NO WAY!!!! That's not true at all lol)

Anyways this is now the real question with me. I am looking for more torque obviously since I going to put the engine in a van.
Frankly since GM still uses the pushrod design in their engines and Ford uses the modular with the Over head cams, then it can be called a pushrod vs modular comparison.
People told me that the pushrod engines produce more torque. However I did a few calculations and found out that the Ford Triton engine produced more torque and the GM
Maybe I did my calculations wrong... I don't know. Do pushrod engines produce more torque or does the modular take that.. ???

Originally Posted by motorjunkie
But I am a VALUE shopper and the Chevys have always been a bit too expensive for me to buy them as often as the other two.

You are the first person who told me that Chevys were more expensive... surely not in the way of maintenance or are they really as you say.

Page 10 of 20 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 19 20

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (MufflerMan Mike), 13 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747