Boxdin
Vanning.com logo
We host with and recommend Your-Site.Com - This site works best with FireFox - this site is powered by UBBCentral

Site Navigation

Advertisements
Recent Posts
Freeze Out 2015
by Wizard78
24 minutes 44 seconds ago
Keystone Madness, September 18-21, 2014, Summit Station, PA
by Wizard78
27 minutes 0 seconds ago
truckin info
by Vanner68
40 minutes 12 seconds ago
CB Radio Question
by Vanner68
42 minutes 22 seconds ago
NFL QB's Driving Conversion Vans
by 86ed
49 minutes 1 second ago
1974 Emerald Express
by lostinthe70eees
Today at 09:53 PM
1980 Nomad w/ Van Sport Package
by Munz
Today at 09:49 PM
Not a normal vehicle.....look out where you go.
by Starlord
Today at 09:34 PM
B.V.A. presents Return to Cortland July 25-27th 2014
by Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!!
Today at 09:04 PM
Finally made it!
by Starlord
Today at 08:55 PM
Featured Links

-->
Cluster Map
Locations of visitors to this page
Page 14 of 18 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#451423 - March 06th 2011 4:12 pm Re: Engines - Triton vs Vortec [Re: Knightjp]
M_S Offline
old hand

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: Knightjp
All valves are over the heads....

Mmmmm, no, they're not.

AdSense
#451488 - March 06th 2011 9:03 pm Re: Engines - Triton vs Vortec [Re: Knightjp]
fatvanman Offline
addict

Loc: Now in Emmett, ID
OHV as the Chevy chart does mean overhead valve, but it is meant to also indicate the camshaft in still in the block, while the Ford lists SOHC for Single Overhead Camshaft.

I do have one question - If you're going to all the trouble to do an engine swap, why would you consider the 5.3 instead of the 6.0 when the engines are the exact same external dimensions, the electronics are the same, etc. For the money you spend it will SPANK your other options. Just my opinion.....

"The great ones never die, they just get older, fatter and drive better vans!"

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3913766/1975-chevrolet-van

#451551 - March 07th 2011 12:49 am Re: Engines - Triton vs Vortec [Re: fatvanman]
Knightjp Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Originally Posted By: fatvanman
I do have one question - If you're going to all the trouble to do an engine swap, why would you consider the 5.3 instead of the 6.0 when the engines are the exact same external dimensions, the electronics are the same, etc. For the money you spend it will SPANK your other options. Just my opinion.....
I wanted to compare the two... 5.3 is so much more closer to 5.4 than 6.0... lol
Besides, if I did a comparison of 5.4 vs 6.0... Surely the performance of the 6.0 will be better.

But I'm not just looking into performance.. I'm also looking into maintenance... I'm looking for issues with the engines that people have had with them.
I understand that there are quite a number of issues people have had with both engines.... But most issues seem to isolate themselves to their particular units, rather than the engine design.
I'm looking for the ones that hold on as actual design flaws... And I bet that even though there are fans of either engine, they will admit to something being a flaw in the engine's design.

#451563 - March 07th 2011 4:18 am Re: Engines - Triton vs Vortec [Re: Knightjp]
Knightjp Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Knightjp

I'm a little confused though....
The GMC site called the torque comparison a GMC advantage...
Is 334@4500 more low down torque or 350@2500 more... ?

Does anyone have an answer for the above question??.. This left me confused.... I always thought low down torque meant (more@less-rpm)
If that is true, then shouldn't the 5.4L Triton have the advantage??? 'Cos that's what the comparison chart shows...

Edited by Knightjp (March 07th 2011 4:20 am)

#451637 - March 07th 2011 10:55 am Re: Engines - Triton vs Vortec [Re: Knightjp]
fatvanman Offline
addict

Max torque at such a low RPM means this engine doesn't have a wide RPM range at all, rather like a diesel. It would mean choosing your gear ratio's very carefully as you don't want cruising RPM 500RPM past max torque. If you are always towning then that would be the better choice, but for everyday driving I would rather sacrafice a bit of lower range torque for a wider performance envelope and wider torque range. So the Triton would have a 16 lb.ft but the Vortec 5.3 would have more torque over a broader RPM range making it perform better overall.

#451688 - March 07th 2011 2:30 pm Re: Engines - Triton vs Vortec [Re: fatvanman]
Knightjp Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: HiFlow5 0;6878238 from Automotive Forums / 5.4 Triton vs 5.3 Vortec
I don't have any experience with the Vortec motor, but I had a 99 F150 with the 5.4 Triton V8. That motor was great and had a ton of torque. I was able to move a 40 Yard dumpster sideways and into position in my driveway. The dumpster was half full of shingles and roofing waste and the truck moved it with ease. I was getting about 14 MPG, it was my daily driver for 3 years and I didn't have to do anything other then regular oil changes on the motor for maintenance.

Here is a good report for the 5.4 Triton. It seems that the torque range was pretty good and this guy didn't face problems...
Does anyone have a similar testimonial for the 5.3 Vortec???

#452211 - March 09th 2011 4:12 am Re: Engines - Triton vs Vortec [Re: fatvanman]
Knightjp Offline
enthusiast

Max torque at such a low RPM means this engine doesn't have a wide RPM range at all, rather like a diesel. It would mean choosing your gear ratio's very carefully as you don't want cruising RPM 500RPM past max torque. If you are always towning then that would be the better choice, but for everyday driving I would rather sacrafice a bit of lower range torque for a wider performance envelope and wider torque range. So the Triton would have a 16 lb.ft but the Vortec 5.3 would have more torque over a broader RPM range making it perform better overall.

OK... I'm a little confused.... if an engine produces more torque at a higher rpm, then that means it has a better range of torque???

I'm also confused that the Triton would produce more low end torque over the Vortec with the Vortec being a pushrod. I know pushrods are supposed to have more low end torque.. or is that all down to tuning???

the 5.3 Vortec in the Tahoe's & pick-ups uses a taller intake than passenger cars giving it much better low end torque at the expense of top end HP. That is what you would want to use in a van anyway, and should be the specs you are comparing. They should be pretty spot on with the 5.4 Triton, if maybe a little higher. But again, I mainly reccomended the Vortec due to better availability, lower parts costs, and narrower size to aid fitment since upgrading performance isn't a priority to you. But that same upgrade ability means you have more options as well.

You did mention that having more low end torque is a better deal for a van. Or should I consider sacrificing some low-end torque with the Vortec..

#452271 - March 09th 2011 10:27 am Re: Engines - Triton vs Vortec [Re: Knightjp]
M_S Offline
old hand

Loc: CA
Pushrods more low end torque? Where did that rubbish come from?

There is nothing you can divine from a max tq number made at one rpm vs another w/o seeing the chart other than one made more max tq than the other.

#452272 - March 09th 2011 10:36 am Re: Engines - Triton vs Vortec [Re: M_S]
Knightjp Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: M_S
Pushrods more low end torque? Where did that rubbish come from?

There is nothing you can divine from a max tq number made at one rpm vs another w/o seeing the chart other than one made more max tq than the other.
????

#452275 - March 09th 2011 10:52 am Re: Engines - Triton vs Vortec [Re: Knightjp]
fatvanman Offline
addict

I wasn't suggesting that one design has inherent advantages over another as there are too many variables that can affect the outcome. However, overhead cam design generally will have the advantage in max RPM due to the reduced reciprocating weight of it's valvetrain, and a large majority of engines employing that design take advantage of that. And since that used to mean a drop in lower RPM torque (prior to variable valve technology) I can see why some have that impression.

Now, back to KnightJP's last comment - yes. A van would be better off with more low end torque, so a high rpm screamer isn't the best idea. In comparing the specs you gave for the Triton and Vortec, the Triton displays a small advantage in maximum torque, but by the listed RPM one can infer that the power falls off rapidly after that. The Vortec has a slight disadvantage in max torque, but by the numbers you gave showing the higher RPM, the Vortec is building torque over a wider RPM which in my mind offsets that difference. Of course either engine can be modified to suit whatever your needs are, but you stated you wanted stock comparisons. And again, I am only offering one opinion based on limited info. Take what you will from it. Both engines are very well designed and will last a long time. And either one should suit your needs. The question at that point becomes simply which one you'd rather see under the hood?

Page 14 of 18 < 1 2 ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 >

Moderator:  Lil_Ed, nautic1 
Upcoming Events
AdSense
Instagram Feed
Who's Online
0 registered (), 2 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
1986mopar, Rusty_Pancelode, takukhan, tdc, IRIEMON
7868 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
lukester 98
newkirkinc1 94
Reed 92
HighwayStar 88
jules73 78
kursed 70
Captain_E 67