Wiring diagram
#44482 June 28th 2004 7:40 am
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
Hi, I have a 1980 G20 Chevy.
Next to the transmission, under the chassis, I found a cruise control unit.
The electric cable was cut. I have a bleu, yellow and white wire.
Can anyone tell my how I must connect this wires?
Does anyone have a diagram?
I don’t have a “cruise control switch” on the dashboard.

Thanks!

Re: Wiring diagram
#44483 June 28th 2004 4:48 pm
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Hi , I have a 79 G30 and my cruise control is also disconected. The controls for mine are on the indicator stalk.It looks like the stock stalk-end is removed and the Cruise control stalk is slid on and tightened down with a grub screw. However when I did a net search on it I came across a factory recall on Chevy/GMC cruise control from that era. It seems that the CC would kick in when it shouldn't causing the vehicle to accelerate uncontrolably!! [Eek!] After enough people were killed they did a recall and the CC was meant to be brought to a Chevy dealer and the problem sorted. I figure my van was in Sweden at the time and there was no local dealer so the CC was just disconnected instead. Sounds like yours met the same fate. I suggest "if it aint broke don't fix it".... even if it is broke! If you really feel like you need CC (i don't) then bring it to a Chevy dealer and demand your recall upgrade for free! I'd be interested to know how you get on with that. Good Luck .Shaggy.

#44484 June 28th 2004 5:13 pm
C
stranger
OP Offline
stranger
C
I also have a 1981 Chevy Sportsvan. It didn’t has cruise control. I installed one of a blazer. They have a vacuum switch on the brake pedal. When you hit the brake, vacuum from the Cruise control diagram is released, so it don’t pull the throttle. It is a extra security when the cruise control isn’t disengaged by the electric circuit.
On my 1980 Chevy van, there is now vacuum switch. So probably you right about the recall.
Does your CC also have a yellow, bleu and white wire?
When I connect the yellow and bleu wire to 12V. And I connect the white wire for 1 second to the 12V, the cruise control is engaged.
When I connect the white wire to the ground. The CC is disengaged. But I did have a few times, it didn’t engaged immediately when I connected the white wire to the ground.
When I disconnect the bleu wire from 12V, the cruise control is disengaged. When I disconnect the yellow wire, the CC is also disengaged.
You can installed a relays, so when you hit the brake, the 12V is disconnected from the yellow wire. The cruise control has now power, and must be disengaged.
But when the brake switch is broken, you still have the possibility that the CC don’t disengaged and then you have a problem.

#44485 June 29th 2004 5:10 pm
veteran
Online Content
veteran
Once I found that there had been a recall done I decided against the project as Ireland is so small cruise control isn't really needed. Also Mine is the only g30 in the country as far as I know so getting parts isn't easy.heres a link to some recall info
http://www.google.ie/search?q=cache...se+control+recall&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747