1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Vannin.com reps representing as a council ?
Astro #444678 February 09th 2011 4:52 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Originally Posted by Astro
I think I should be able to speak on the concerns and issues people post here, but I don't think I should get a vote.

That would be my line of thought.

The access given to you & Virtual is surely a sign of how on target you've been in steering vanning.com.

Being able to carry a few common concerns or suggestions from the website membership to the COC is a wonderful acknowledgment of the value found in the contributions which vanning.com has made towards the COC's goal of the promotion and advancement of vanning.

Nevertheless, I don't think it's wise to treat a virtual community of only loosely confederated members, possessing arguably widely varied needs and motives, to the same rights and privileges as a physical community who has purposefully and carefully been assembled to achieve a common goal.

How you'll even settle on what items to select to advance in a formal setting is well beyond me. "The world" is indeed a rather large place containing a varied clientele, and many of the concerns and issues are inevitably going to be regional, if not downright personal. A "tyranny of the minority" and other such disruption is seldom far away when such impersonal entities as "The world" are given rights to the floor...

Perhaps a selection of polls like Virtual just conducted at the beginning of this thread could be used to help narrow things down, but the participation in his poll has been surprisingly lackluster thus far... and rather evenly split too! That sure makes for a tough call. If polls were used as input, should only those with a certain minimum percentage of participation or displaying a clear margin of consensus be counted?

Perhaps what should be advanced at COC is a simple request to schedule a formal debate at the *next* COC whose goal would be guidance on how virtual communities should be treated in the future. Rather than being rushed into making a decision *now*, the various councils would then have the time until the next COC to discuss the issue with their memberships and attempt to reach a consensus position to bring to the table.

OK, I'll go back to my corner now...

;0)

Thanks for everything you've done Astro & Virtual!

I believe there is a future thanks to you.

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Virtual #444688 February 09th 2011 7:46 am
Virtual Offline OP

Vanthropologist
OP Offline

Vanthropologist
Some very good thoughts passing through here. Seeing the polls are so close we will take that as a topic that needs much more discussion.

The CofC is a mystery to many vanners as we can see from some of the comments as to what actually goes on or doesn't go on. As Howard suggested please watch the simulcast to get a better of this whole process.

Virtual #444696 February 09th 2011 9:23 am
Bad Girls from New York, Bad Western Inn in IN.
Bad Girls from New York, Bad Western Inn in IN.
Astro--I do like your thought that you can bring up topics that are discussed on this site at the C of C. Each year before C of C every Council is sent a letter requesting certain information--who is your rep going to be and what would your members like to see discussed at the meeting this year. Perhaps there is a way to include vanning.com into that process. That way, the topics would be listed and you wouldn't have to be a 'voting entity' at the meetings.

Just a thought.

Cherish your friends!
HUGGS to all!
Suzie
Virtual #444711 February 09th 2011 10:34 am
P.R. Wisconsin Van Council
P.R. Wisconsin Van Council
I think everyone on vanning.com should already be in a council, that way you can get your opinions out, you dont have to a memeber of a club to be in a council (Wisconsin Van Council will take anyone that wants to be a member)

In my opinion those that do not attend any eVANts and only call themselves a vanner because they are one this website should not have a say in how Van eVANts are run or promoted. I say once you actually participate yourself you will want to join some type of council so that you can be included.

Astro and Virtual already have there opinions heard due to the fact that they are so involved, what more can be gained by having vanning.com be considered a council.

[Linked Image]

Ed Lil' Ed Gray
Co-Chair 40th Van Nationals
President - County Line Vans
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/750547
www.wivancouncil.com
Virtual #444716 February 09th 2011 11:01 am
Vanner
Vanner
Anybody can attend the CoC and have themselves heard in the open afternoon session. If not able to attend, you can use a proxy to voice your concerns. Don't need to be in a council for this.

As long as the proxy is not used to bring forth a subject that may open a can of worms, and you want somebody else to do your dirty work for you, I see nothing wrong with the present system.

Like others have said, putting to bed all the misconceptions on how the National Truckin Board, and the Council Of Council Board is best accomplished on a Forum like this, so as to leave the limited time at the CoC for bringing forth well thought out, and pertinent discussion................

In the past, while being a rep for the OFV at the CoC, I had some Vanner's that basically wanted me to take their whining to the meeting..... So a rep, or a proxy, has to exercise some judgment on what to ask, and for who it will benefit. These Forums are great to weed out what is old dealt with stuff, and what is needed to be said for today, and the future.....

I don't need to be honoured by Vanning, I am honoured to be Vanning !
Supporting Vanning, by going Vanning In A Van !
I hate it, when real life interferes with Vanning !
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
I.B.O.B.
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers
on the road #444772 February 09th 2011 1:38 pm
Madman!
Madman!
Originally Posted by on the road
CORRECTION!!!! At this year's C of C a vote will be taken as to where the Council of Councils will be next year. The C of C has NOTHING to do with where the Nationals are. It is simply a coincidence that we meet at the same time and accept bids for the following Nats. Just wanted to clear that up.

Sorry, I messed that up!!!

My main point was if something came up to be voted on, without having time to discuss with everyone on line, it could cause a lot of issues.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Van Clan Plus One, Canada
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

[Linked Image]

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"
Virtual #444789 February 09th 2011 2:21 pm
B
B
This site is THE place for these discussions. The time at the C of C meeting is way too short to have lengthy discussions. The C of C has a web site that anyone can go to and make suggestions for a topic at the next C of C.

Council of Council's http://cofc.vanning.com/
and
http://www.councilofcouncils.com and http://www.councilofcouncils.org

Middle of the page look for (Send us a suggestion for a topic at the next C of C meeting here.)

The Nationals Board web site also has a Guestbook which anyone
may write on with suggestions/gripes.
Nats Board Guestbook
http://www.vannationalsboard.org/guestbok.htm

Also the Nats Board Members and Alternates are listed with their Email address and Phone numbers on the website

Nationals Board Members http://www.vannationalsboard.org/natsmemb.htm

Anyone May Email or call them to discuss anything.

Last edited by Astro; February 09th 2011 5:09 pm. Reason: added other links

Who wills, can. Who tries, does. Who loves, lives

National Truck-in Board -- https://www.vannationalsboard.org/

Northern California Van Council. NorCalVanCouncil.blogspot.com

Virtual #444800 February 09th 2011 3:09 pm
old hand
old hand
I think that vanning.com being included as input at Cof C is a good idea, however I agree that is should not be a voting position, more of an advisory "what the vibe you are getting from the web on this subject?" thing.
The members of vanning.com are too far flung and too diverse in their opinions to be represented in a voting position. we are also too infrequent visiting the boards to be well represented. In just over 24hr only 35 of the registered 4300 members have voted in this poll. Also when I look back over who posted on this thread, I see the same main names that I see on many threads. Are those 10 or 15 people with the most posts all that are to be represented? Its a real can o'worms, that Id rather keep closed.

1989 Dodge Shorty, Scarlette Widow(A demon in disguise)
1992 Chevy G-20 Conversion (the White Elephant)Gone on to the Final truckin

Memeber of the Toopa Sinner Tribe (2011)
Independent Trucker for now (since 2009)
Virtual #444804 February 09th 2011 3:19 pm
Vanner
Vanner
I think for all those who have never attended the CoC, viewing the web cast that Astro is putting together, will enable you to get a " feel " for how things work there....

And it's a cheap way to get that feel, as the reps and attendee's at the meeting, by and large, fund their own travel and lodging expenses to and from these far flung meetings ...All you have to do is commit a few hours in front of the puter on the Saturday of the CoC..............

Just keep an eye for Astro's announced time schedules and any updates......

I don't need to be honoured by Vanning, I am honoured to be Vanning !
Supporting Vanning, by going Vanning In A Van !
I hate it, when real life interferes with Vanning !
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
I.B.O.B.
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Astro, GarfVanner 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 13 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod