Page 5 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 19 20
Re: Engines - Ford vs GM
Knightjp #442779 February 01st 2011 3:08 pm
Madman!
Madman!
Originally Posted by Knightjp
Originally Posted by Superbeast
Originally Posted by kookykrispy
All 3 makes, Chevy, Ford and Dodge engines are good when built right. Each brand made some winners, and each made some slugs. Choose what you want to run, and we will coach you. If cost is a big factor, build a traditional small block Chevy because its the cheapest to build.

This is the BEST answer to your question.

Keep in mind also, that most all of the opinions noted will make a huge difference in how each one is maintained. You can get a million miles out of a junk motor if you care for it regularly.

If you are talking shear horsepower, nothing is cheap!

Agreed... each one made their duds in the day...
I know you have a Ford and love it... But all that aside; in terms of maintenance, etc... was there ever a moment you wished you had gone over to the Chevy side???

lol I'm actually a Dodge boy at heart! My first auto was a Chevy and I owned a V6 turbo'd Gran Prix back in 1990 and it was a sweet car, but to answer your question NO! Mainly for the reason that is slightly rearing it's ugly head in your thread.

I grew up racing Mopars, and beating all the local street cars. I lived by a motto back then, 'put up or shut up' I earned the title 'King of the Road' way back when I used to run on the streets. Never even knew it until after I gave it up. Anyway, the Chevy lovers were always the mouthiest and I had the most pleasure in shutting them up with my ride.

That being said, I have nothing against any (American) brand or the people that love them. They all have their good and bad points.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Van Clan Plus One, Canada
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

[Linked Image]

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"
AdSense long
kookykrispy #442786 February 01st 2011 3:40 pm
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by kookykrispy
[Linked Image]

To me, that van looks like it needs some kind of turbo-diesel?? What kind of engines come stock in those? Why are you wanting a gas v8 anyway?

The van came with a tuned Audi 100 inline 4 petrol engine that gave good torque and there was a 2.4 ltr inline 6 cylinder turbodiesel engine too. Despite the small engine it gave enough power and mileage even under full load... I guess that's why the vans are used so much Europe... Fuel is expensive there....
Over here diesel is more expensive than ordinary petrol. So in my case it would be better to have a gas engine. I could go in for a VW engine from a new LTs, but being such a fan of American V8s, I thought I'd go in for one of those.

Besides... I don't like the noise of a diesel unless its a Duratec or Vortec....
I'd rather have a gas V8.

Originally Posted by M_S
Having been a Chevy guy from the start, and working for their RaceShop in R&D, you would think I would vote for the 5.7 or LS motors.

However, the choice is obvious ...

You make it sound like you prefer Ford even though you are a Chevy guy.
Am I right????

Superbeast #442802 February 01st 2011 4:09 pm
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Anyway, the Chevy lovers were always the mouthiest and I had the most pleasure in shutting them up with my ride.

When I was buying my Alfa 156, quite a few people tried to convince me that it was a poor choice. I had options of a Nissan Altima and an old Chevy Lumina SS (Holden Comodore) with an LS engine.
But once I drove that Alfa all the others seemed to fade away... I was hooked... that was it. Anyways my friends all spoke to me about reliability issues, etc... and that was a factor I considered when I bought the car... but everyone who was against the decision changed their minds when they drove it. Alfas do that so well.
I was about ready to prove them wrong in terms of reliability and to be honest my car did prove to be reliable for a 1st year or so... I was proud to rub their noses in it... but then slowly little problems started creeping in.... it was my fault actually; not the car. I kept loaning it to my brother who basically thought he was race driver everytime he got behind the wheel and slowly the problems started coming in....
Now my friends started their "I told you so" routines.... not knowing the real truth behind the car's faults. frown

I'd love to prove that a Ford motor is equal if not better than the Chevy and prove my mechanic friends wrong.... but its a huge gamble if they're right... :P

Knightjp #442806 February 01st 2011 4:35 pm
M
M_S Offline
old hand
old hand
M

Originally Posted by M_S
Having been a Chevy guy from the start, and working for their RaceShop in R&D, you would think I would vote for the 5.7 or LS motors.

However, the choice is obvious ...

You make it sound like you prefer Ford even though you are a Chevy guy.
Am I right????

Click the link, it's hidden in the ellipsis. Then all will be clear.

Last edited by M_S; February 01st 2011 4:36 pm.
Knightjp #442807 February 01st 2011 4:36 pm
Madman!
Madman!
I'd put my 7.3 Diesel up against any GM engine as far as reliability.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

[Linked Image]

Superbeast #442811 February 01st 2011 5:17 pm
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
I'd put my 7.3 Diesel up against any GM engine as far as reliability.

So you believe that Ford engines are more reliable than GM ones???

Knightjp #442985 February 02nd 2011 1:05 pm
Madman!
Madman!
No, but I believe the 7.3 diesel engine is one awesome motor. The GM 350 is also a great motor, the Dodge 318 is a great engine, etc., etc. They all have great engines and they all had some crappy ones.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

[Linked Image]

Knightjp #443023 February 02nd 2011 3:03 pm
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
From everything I read online and heard from friends over here, a 3 (Ford, GM and Dodge) have made some awesome engines... some so iconic that they're being made by other companies... and these guys have made some duds too...

However more noise has been made about how Chevy / GM ones standing out as being more simpler in design and therefore more plentiful in number and easier in terms of maintenance and parts.
In some ways I think its right in the sense that even BBC's Top Gear recognized the Chevy small-block as a masterpiece...
But on the other hand when doing the review of a new MGT, the Ford mustang engine was called as one of the worlds greatest engines...

So looks like they're even and the noise wasn't justified... or is it????

Knightjp #443295 February 03rd 2011 7:37 pm
Madman!
Madman!
Well pretty much what everyone said above is true with all that talk about the gm 350 as far as cost goes, it's prolly the best deal going as far as performance and economy.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

[Linked Image]

Page 5 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 19 20

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1