Boxdin
Vanning.com logo
We host with and recommend Your-Site.Com - This site works best with FireFox - this site is powered by UBBCentral

Site Navigation

Advertisements
Recent Posts
FORD tastic
by Callahan
""Show Vans & Show Girls""
by HighwayStar
How to put on a van run ?
by OVANNER
Natural State at the moment.
by Bikertrash00
Defrag & Disk Cleanup
by Meanmachine
07:45 AM
Guess the 2014 Nationals attendance.
by newkirkinc1
07:20 AM
New to vanning
by newkirkinc1
07:18 AM
B.V.A. presents Return to Cortland July 25-27th 2014
by newkirkinc1
07:17 AM
ADIRONDACK NATIONALS
by EricS
01:01 AM
Road Map or GPS
by CatFish
12:52 AM
Featured Links

-->
Cluster Map
Locations of visitors to this page
Page 4 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 18 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#442661 - February 01st 2011 6:53 am Re: Engines - Ford vs GM [Re: Knightjp]
NateNCBV Offline

Administrator

Loc: Brooklyn Park, Maryland, USA
Ah so...I thought you were talking about the Mircobus (aka Transporter, Type 2, etc.). I keep forgetting VW had other vans as well.

So, is that LT a front engine/rear wheel drive setup?
A-100 Van Association
Honorary Canadian(You Hoser!)
--------------
1994 Dodge B250 Elk Conversion (5.2L/A518)
1985 Dodge B150 "Burnin' Desire" (5.2L/A727)

AdSense
#442678 - February 01st 2011 8:19 am Re: Engines - Ford vs GM [Re: kookykrispy]
Superbeast Offline

Madman!

Loc: Dayton, New Jersey, U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: kookykrispy
All 3 makes, Chevy, Ford and Dodge engines are good when built right. Each brand made some winners, and each made some slugs. Choose what you want to run, and we will coach you. If cost is a big factor, build a traditional small block Chevy because its the cheapest to build.

This is the BEST answer to your question.

Keep in mind also, that most all of the opinions noted will make a huge difference in how each one is maintained. You can get a million miles out of a junk motor if you care for it regularly.

If you are talking shear horsepower, nothing is cheap!
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"

#442682 - February 01st 2011 8:44 am Re: Engines - Ford vs GM [Re: NateNCBV]
Knightjp Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Originally Posted By: Natetheskate
Ah so...I thought you were talking about the Mircobus (aka Transporter, Type 2, etc.). I keep forgetting VW had other vans as well.

So, is that LT a front engine/rear wheel drive setup?

The LT vans pictured have a Front mid-engine, rear-wheel drive layout with the option of having 4x4. The latest models (known as the "Crafter") shares the same chassis and layout of the Mercedes Sprinter.

The old one can hold quite a bit of load.... consider some versions have a 3.5 ton capacity and they also come in dually configuration too....

#442685 - February 01st 2011 8:51 am Re: Engines - Ford vs GM [Re: Superbeast]
Knightjp Offline
enthusiast

Originally Posted By: Superbeast
All 3 makes, Chevy, Ford and Dodge engines are good when built right. Each brand made some winners, and each made some slugs. Choose what you want to run, and we will coach you. If cost is a big factor, build a traditional small block Chevy because its the cheapest to build.

Keep in mind also, that most all of the opinions noted will make a huge difference in how each one is maintained. You can get a million miles out of a junk motor if you care for it regularly.

Agreed... each one made their duds in the day...
I know you have a Ford and love it... But all that aside; in terms of maintenance, etc... was there ever a moment you wished you had gone over to the Chevy side???

#442708 - February 01st 2011 11:18 am Re: Engines - Ford vs GM [Re: Knightjp]
kookykrispy Offline
journeyman

Loc: Seattle, WA
Originally Posted By: Knightjp

I've seen a video on youtube where a group of guys put a big block Chevy V8 into it.... I'm guessing if that can be done, a Ford modular V8 or a Chevy LS shouldn't be a problem.

To me, that van looks like it needs some kind of turbo-diesel?? What kind of engines come stock in those? Why are you wanting a gas v8 anyway?

#442709 - February 01st 2011 11:29 am Re: Engines - Ford vs GM [Re: kookykrispy]
M_S Offline
old hand

Loc: CA
Having been a Chevy guy from the start, and working for their RaceShop in R&D, you would think I would vote for the 5.7 or LS motors.

However, the choice is obvious ...

#442779 - February 01st 2011 2:08 pm Re: Engines - Ford vs GM [Re: Knightjp]
Superbeast Offline

Madman!

Loc: Dayton, New Jersey, U.S.A.

Agreed... each one made their duds in the day...
I know you have a Ford and love it... But all that aside; in terms of maintenance, etc... was there ever a moment you wished you had gone over to the Chevy side???

lol I'm actually a Dodge boy at heart! My first auto was a Chevy and I owned a V6 turbo'd Gran Prix back in 1990 and it was a sweet car, but to answer your question NO! Mainly for the reason that is slightly rearing it's ugly head in your thread.

I grew up racing Mopars, and beating all the local street cars. I lived by a motto back then, 'put up or shut up' I earned the title 'King of the Road' way back when I used to run on the streets. Never even knew it until after I gave it up. Anyway, the Chevy lovers were always the mouthiest and I had the most pleasure in shutting them up with my ride.

That being said, I have nothing against any (American) brand or the people that love them. They all have their good and bad points.
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"

#442786 - February 01st 2011 2:40 pm Re: Engines - Ford vs GM [Re: kookykrispy]
Knightjp Offline
enthusiast

To me, that van looks like it needs some kind of turbo-diesel?? What kind of engines come stock in those? Why are you wanting a gas v8 anyway?

The van came with a tuned Audi 100 inline 4 petrol engine that gave good torque and there was a 2.4 ltr inline 6 cylinder turbodiesel engine too. Despite the small engine it gave enough power and mileage even under full load... I guess that's why the vans are used so much Europe... Fuel is expensive there....
Over here diesel is more expensive than ordinary petrol. So in my case it would be better to have a gas engine. I could go in for a VW engine from a new LTs, but being such a fan of American V8s, I thought I'd go in for one of those.

Besides... I don't like the noise of a diesel unless its a Duratec or Vortec....
I'd rather have a gas V8.

Originally Posted By: M_S
Having been a Chevy guy from the start, and working for their RaceShop in R&D, you would think I would vote for the 5.7 or LS motors.

You make it sound like you prefer Ford even though you are a Chevy guy.
Am I right????

#442802 - February 01st 2011 3:09 pm Re: Engines - Ford vs GM [Re: Superbeast]
Knightjp Offline
enthusiast

Anyway, the Chevy lovers were always the mouthiest and I had the most pleasure in shutting them up with my ride.

When I was buying my Alfa 156, quite a few people tried to convince me that it was a poor choice. I had options of a Nissan Altima and an old Chevy Lumina SS (Holden Comodore) with an LS engine.
But once I drove that Alfa all the others seemed to fade away... I was hooked... that was it. Anyways my friends all spoke to me about reliability issues, etc... and that was a factor I considered when I bought the car... but everyone who was against the decision changed their minds when they drove it. Alfas do that so well.
I was about ready to prove them wrong in terms of reliability and to be honest my car did prove to be reliable for a 1st year or so... I was proud to rub their noses in it... but then slowly little problems started creeping in.... it was my fault actually; not the car. I kept loaning it to my brother who basically thought he was race driver everytime he got behind the wheel and slowly the problems started coming in....
Now my friends started their "I told you so" routines.... not knowing the real truth behind the car's faults. frown

I'd love to prove that a Ford motor is equal if not better than the Chevy and prove my mechanic friends wrong.... but its a huge gamble if they're right... :P

#442806 - February 01st 2011 3:35 pm Re: Engines - Ford vs GM [Re: Knightjp]
M_S Offline
old hand

Loc: CA

Originally Posted By: M_S

You make it sound like you prefer Ford even though you are a Chevy guy.
Am I right????

Click the link, it's hidden in the ellipsis. Then all will be clear.

Edited by M_S (February 01st 2011 3:36 pm)

Page 4 of 18 < 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 17 18 >

Moderator:  Lil_Ed, nautic1 
Upcoming Events
AdSense
Instagram Feed
Who's Online
1 registered (Ford1980), 5 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
VanManDan345, EricS, mkycnfxt, Big_D, Rene
7861 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
lukester 99
Reed 91
HighwayStar 87
newkirkinc1 86
al55 72
jules73 71
Captain_E 68