Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20
Re: Engines - Ford vs GM
Knightjp #442592 January 31st 2011 10:49 pm
K
K
Originally Posted by Knightjp
I guarantee you, I'm not a rich guy. Just someone who loves vans... LOL.

If you're not a rich guy, then you may want to scrap the idea of a v8 in a vw. You're talking about ALOT of custom fabrication... Also keep in mind that the suspension and chassis of the VW is not capable of supporting the heavy weight of an american V8, you'd basically have to start over from the ground up, take the vw body and put it on a custom RWD chassis... not saying it can't be done, but it would be a very involved project with lots of fabrication and would take lots of $$$$$ to do it right. If you're not a rich guy then... ?

If you want a v8, then build a van that should have one in it, like a Chevy or a Ford or Dodge... pick your favorite bodystyle, and go from there. All 3 makes, Chevy, Ford and Dodge engines are good when built right. Each brand made some winners, and each made some slugs. Choose what you want to run, and we will coach you. If cost is a big factor, build a traditional smallblock chevy because its the cheapest to build, however the 302 ford is also quite inexpensive. You mentioned wanting to do an LS engine... again, you are talking about lots of $$ and you'd better know what you are doing. Not trying to talk you out of it if that's what you REALLY want, but just realize that an LS swap project is getting into the 'rich guy' territory again. ;)

I have a 6.0L LS engine in my 1999 silverado 2500HD, and its a good motor for what it is, but I don't really think I'd want it in any of my classic cars or vans. Nothing really special about it and it doesn't win any races? The tried and true chevy 350 is just as good and alot easier to work on and parts are way cheaper.

If you have your heart set on building a vw bus, then please do as wookee said and stay with a german engine, whether it is a hot VW of porsche engine, you will save yourself tons of grief. Me personally, I love seeing a nicely done lowered early split window bus, especially with a hot motor.

AdSense long
SixShot #442595 January 31st 2011 11:03 pm
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
Originally Posted by SixShot
This is so easy I cann't believe nobodys said it yet.....
PUT A HEMI IN IT !!!

yeah grin

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Arianrhod:2003 Chevy Astro
Black Magic: 1985 Dodge B-250
Serenity:1985 Chevy G-20
The Outcast:1983 Ford club wagon
Luna 1974 VW bay window transporter
Freedom:1990 Ford E-150(parts van)
Outcast Vanners van club
Support your local 2%
kookykrispy #442605 January 31st 2011 11:26 pm
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Ky_Tim
Why arent you considering a Porsche engine for that Vee Dub? They make some bad ass setups that work in the buses.

Originally Posted by kookykrispy

Also keep in mind that the suspension and chassis of the VW is not capable of supporting the heavy weight of an american V8, you'd basically have to start over from the ground up, take the vw body and put it on a custom RWD chassis... not saying it can't be done, but it would be a very involved project with lots of fabrication and would take lots of $$$$$ to do it right.

If you have your heart set on building a vw bus, then please do as wookee said and stay with a german engine, whether it is a hot VW of porsche engine, you will save yourself tons of grief. Me personally, I love seeing a nicely done lowered early split window bus, especially with a hot motor.

I don't think we're talking about the same VW van. If you guys are talking about that VW bus with the engine in the rear like the VW beetle, then yes... a German Porsche engine would do....But that is not the VW van I'm talking about....

The VW van I'm going to be using is a LT. Its a large one that is used to carry loads and used as a base in RVs in Europe... think Mercedes Sprinter and you're on the right track....
I plan to get the old 1 gen with the flat front end (pictured below)... used to see a lot of them as delivery vans when I was a kid.
[Linked Image]

I've seen a video on youtube where a group of guys put a big block Chevy V8 into it.... I'm guessing if that can be done, a Ford modular V8 or a Chevy LS shouldn't be a problem.

Knightjp #442661 February 01st 2011 7:53 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
Ah so...I thought you were talking about the Mircobus (aka Transporter, Type 2, etc.). I keep forgetting VW had other vans as well.

So, is that LT a front engine/rear wheel drive setup?

Nate Breece
kookykrispy #442678 February 01st 2011 9:19 am
Madman!
Madman!
All 3 makes, Chevy, Ford and Dodge engines are good when built right. Each brand made some winners, and each made some slugs. Choose what you want to run, and we will coach you. If cost is a big factor, build a traditional small block Chevy because its the cheapest to build.

This is the BEST answer to your question.

Keep in mind also, that most all of the opinions noted will make a huge difference in how each one is maintained. You can get a million miles out of a junk motor if you care for it regularly.

If you are talking shear horsepower, nothing is cheap!

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Van Clan Plus One, Canada
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

[Linked Image]

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"
NateB #442682 February 01st 2011 9:44 am
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Natetheskate
Ah so...I thought you were talking about the Mircobus (aka Transporter, Type 2, etc.). I keep forgetting VW had other vans as well.

So, is that LT a front engine/rear wheel drive setup?

The LT vans pictured have a Front mid-engine, rear-wheel drive layout with the option of having 4x4. The latest models (known as the "Crafter") shares the same chassis and layout of the Mercedes Sprinter.

The old one can hold quite a bit of load.... consider some versions have a 3.5 ton capacity and they also come in dually configuration too....

Superbeast #442685 February 01st 2011 9:51 am
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
Originally Posted by Superbeast
All 3 makes, Chevy, Ford and Dodge engines are good when built right. Each brand made some winners, and each made some slugs. Choose what you want to run, and we will coach you. If cost is a big factor, build a traditional small block Chevy because its the cheapest to build.

This is the BEST answer to your question.

Keep in mind also, that most all of the opinions noted will make a huge difference in how each one is maintained. You can get a million miles out of a junk motor if you care for it regularly.

If you are talking shear horsepower, nothing is cheap!

Agreed... each one made their duds in the day...
I know you have a Ford and love it... But all that aside; in terms of maintenance, etc... was there ever a moment you wished you had gone over to the Chevy side???

Knightjp #442708 February 01st 2011 12:18 pm
K
K
Originally Posted by Knightjp
[Linked Image]

I've seen a video on youtube where a group of guys put a big block Chevy V8 into it.... I'm guessing if that can be done, a Ford modular V8 or a Chevy LS shouldn't be a problem.

To me, that van looks like it needs some kind of turbo-diesel?? What kind of engines come stock in those? Why are you wanting a gas v8 anyway?

kookykrispy #442709 February 01st 2011 12:29 pm
M
M_S Offline
old hand
old hand
M
Having been a Chevy guy from the start, and working for their RaceShop in R&D, you would think I would vote for the 5.7 or LS motors.

However, the choice is obvious ...

Page 4 of 20 1 2 3 4 5 6 19 20

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 26 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530