Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Custom printed vinyl mural "wrap" vs. air brushed mural & artwork
#439807 January 21st 2011 2:16 am
N
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
N
OK, so as this long cold winter here in upstate NY drags along, I'm keeping myself busy collecting additional new items and planning several upgrades for NIGHTMOVES,my '75 Chevy G-20 "Shorty" As many of you know,the exterior of my van is rather plain with a few simple pinstripes and a logo on the rear quarters. Hoping to change all that by this summer...Have some quotes on a "full wrap" airbrushed mural from upper belt line up as well as the same idea done with a custom made vinyl graphic "mural wrap". Just looking for some thoughts,suggestions and HONEST opinions on this subject. Does a van look totally "cheesy" if the mural is done in something other than paint? Obviously I could never expect to win any type of "best paint" award with a vinyl-based mural. Is this "new age" technology of custom vinyl graphics and murals accepted or frowned upon in the show world? Just curious... I do like the idea of having a "lifetime" warranty on a vinyl mural for as long as I own the van and for about half of the expense of actual paintwork however don't really want to be laughed at if I go this direction. I will be adding some additional paintwork to the van regardless of which way I go with the mural.

Last edited by nightmoves2; January 21st 2011 2:18 am.

John & Debbie Piedmonte

NIGHTMOVES - '75 Chevy G20 "Shorty"
Re: Custom printed vinyl mural "wrap" vs. air brushed mural & artwork
nightmoves2 #439820 January 21st 2011 8:41 am
Vanner
Vanner
Depends what you can live with, both budget and happiness

Here is a full wrap, mostly seen on commercial vans.. This one belongs to a Vendor that goes to Van Slam in oHIGHo

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I don't need to be honoured by Vanning, I am honoured to be Vanning !
Supporting Vanning, by going Vanning In A Van !
I hate it, when real life interferes with Vanning !
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
I.B.O.B.
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers
Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! #439836 January 21st 2011 10:06 am
G
old hand
old hand
G
Well lets see there is a show that Chip Foose is on and they give these guys cars to build one team painted the car and the other team wrapped it Foose gave the team that painted it more points so as far as the show car scene I would think that answers your question. As far as my personal oppinion I think it would take away from your van and even if there is a life time warranty there only as good as long as the vinyl company is in buisness so I wouldnt count on that I say air brush all the way you cant get the depth out of vinyl that you can with paint. I hope this helps

GEORGI #439837 January 21st 2011 10:18 am
veteran
veteran
I think vinyl can be made to look pretty cool. I'm sure you can get some slick designs using it. I certainly wouldn't condemn anyone for using it. I don't know much about it but I've heard "stories" about it trapping moisture and causing some body rot and harming the paint underneath. True or not I don't know. Personaly I would (and did) go with paint.

Upstate Vanners Van Club
2013 V.O.I.C.E.S. co-chairman
I may be getting older, but I REFUSE to grow up!!!
Old School's still cool!
Denim #439854 January 21st 2011 11:24 am
veteran
veteran
Was wonderin same thing,seen some really nice wraps,an they a lot cheeper than airbrush thats 4 sure! grin

[Linked Image]
79 B-200
heavy389 #439867 January 21st 2011 12:27 pm

Vanthropologist

Vanthropologist
John if an airbrushed mural is only twice the cost of a wrap I would suggest that you wait until you can afford the mural. I would have expected the price of a wrap to maybe be 1/4 the price of a mural.

Murals that are properly taken care of can last 30 years or more like Stallion's. I'm not sure how long you could expect out of a wrap. Even if they offer a lifetime guarantee that would just be to replace the wrap. I have a feeling you would be taking a fair amount of paint off if you needed to replace a wrap.

Virtual #439879 January 21st 2011 1:27 pm
W
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
W
This is a new technology that vanners for a wide varity of reasons have been slow to warm up to.
I have looked at some wraps close up (mostly on commercial vans)on some the application of the wrap looked a bit cheezy
(wrap was cracked and peeling up around window edges),
othes looked pretty good to great.
Just like with a painted mural it is up to the graphic artist behind the keyboard to come up with a design you really like and the guys who apply it to the van and the way it is applied to the van to make it look right.
Allot of NASCAR teams use wraps so they can chance up graphics easier.
The younger tuner crowd seemed to have embraced the new technology.
Adhesives and the vinyl its self have came a long way.
My self I would be more worried about how the shine on the wrap will hold up and weather.The last thing you want is to invest in something like this and it turns out to be a far away beauty.
On the plus side if you get tired of the van the wrap can be removed and a blank slate can be handed off to the next owner.
I am just guessing on the last statement just because I have never seen a corporate van that has been striped of its wrap.
I have removed older decals from vans with good success and no damage to the factory paint.
If you do decide to go this route and it looks great.Your vanner friends will let you know it.
If it looks bad......Well they will let you know that too....

.......Wookee

Its a "Van Thing"
A life style you have to LIVE to understand!

[Linked Image]

Vintage Chevy Van Club
wookee #439891 January 21st 2011 2:21 pm
addict
addict
I think of airbrushing like a tattoo. Each one reflects the style of the owner, and the artistry/skill of the painter. Wraps can be done by anyone whith computer skills. I think it takes away from the idea of the individualism and artistry represented in the mural. But with vynil, you can change it up easier, and repair damage easier. I do know vynil has gotten much better. they used it on my boat and it still looks as good as the day it was put on, in 1999. She has been outside nonstop since new and it looks great. I think it is up to you more than anyone. Its your van, do with as you wish. If it makes you happy, it is worth it either way and don't worry so much about what other people think. You bought the van and paid for the custom work you like, whether or not I like it shouldn't be a factor at all.

If you are going to be a bum, you may as well be their king.
GEORGI #440055 January 22nd 2011 1:00 am
N
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
N
Thank you, I really appreciate your feedback! I spoke with my vinyl graphics guy again today. One of my major concerns is the overall look of "depth" to the finished product so I inquired about spraying clearcoat over the vinyl. Although I'm told it has been done,they do not recommend it and it would void any warranty. I will most likely be going with paint. My graphics guy is located in Victor NY and is the same guy who did my NIGHTMOVES logos I currently have. They do excellent work,I just don't think the vinyl mural wrap is for me! Their website is as follows if you want to check them out: www.mblgfx.com

THANKS AGAIN!

John & Debbie Piedmonte

NIGHTMOVES - '75 Chevy G20 "Shorty"
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 24 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod