Print Thread
Rating: 5
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Re: How to Repair Loose Steering
nickrahn #406216 August 19th 2010 9:09 am
Madman!
Madman!
Originally Posted by nickrahn
Yea, I think I remember reading that. I think for right now I will use what I got and see how it works. How is that setup working so far?

I've done this

[Linked Image]

on every 4x4 I ever owned. It's far superior than any of the slip joints from the factory.

One word of caution, when doing any swap of this type or even fixing the factory joint, DO NOT try and skip the dropping of the column step. If you pry up on the column to try and get the shaft out you will break the crush pin (collapses in a front end crash to keep column from spearing you) and the column shaft will be junk.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Van Clan Plus One, Canada
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

[Linked Image]

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"
Superbeast #406223 August 19th 2010 9:48 am
Madman!
Madman!
One more thing guys;

If you go through fixing this joint and the steering is still sloppy AND you have made sure everything else in the front end is good (like wrcsixeight did) You can adjust some slop out of your steering box.

How, you ask.....

On top (on the side on some vehicles) of the steering box there is a nut with a threaded stud sticking out of it. The threaded stud will have a tooled hole of some kind cut in the end of it. I've seen straight slots, Hex Head holes, Square holes and even some Torx holes.

I's always best to clean the whole box well before doing this, but at least clan the area around this well before starting.

Next take a BOX wrench that fits the nut and tool (that matches the hole in the threaded stud) and place the wrench on the nut and the other tool in the hole. Crack the Nut loose about 1/4 to 1/2 turn (holding the stud from moving with your other hand and tool) Now, turn the stud clockwise 1/4 turn and snug down the nut. Move the wheel back and forth a few times and see how it feels.

Repeat this process until the steering feels firm with between 1/2" to 1" play.

DO NOT make it too tight or you will increase friction inside the box and burn out the parts inside.

If you are doing this with a manual steering box it is always good practice to make sure the box is full with gear oil first. Some boxes have fill plugs, and some fill by removing this adjuster.

This is by no means a repair for a bad steering box, but it can buy you some more time in a box that is worn, but still usable.

Hope this helps someone.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

[Linked Image]

nickrahn #406247 August 19th 2010 11:02 am
W
veteran
veteran
W
Originally Posted by nickrahn
Yea, I think I remember reading that. I think for right now I will use what I got and see how it works. How is that setup working so far?

After I did the U joint, it was a joy to drive in comparison, but I did do the steering gear at the same time. If I did not remove the gear, I could not have slid the 10 inches of DD shaft back up into the column. I had the new one in place but unbolted, and just shifted it to the side for re installation.

I was told when adjusting the steering gear that one should turn the wheels all the way to left or right. Since the gear is more likely worn in the center, adjusting it when turned to the stops helps insure you do not overtighten it too much, as I did once many years ago.

wrcsixeight #406251 August 19th 2010 11:12 am
Madman!
Madman!
Originally Posted by wrcsixeight
[quote=nickrahn]I was told when adjusting the steering gear that one should turn the wheels all the way to left or right. Since the gear is more likely worn in the center, adjusting it when turned to the stops helps insure you do not overtighten it too much, as I did once many years ago.

Could be. I've only completely rebuilt 2 steering boxes in my time. I've adjusted dozens using this method and have never overtightened them doing 1/4 turns. Maybe running the wheels all the way to the stops will make the process a little faster by not having to do 1/4 turn at a time.

There were a lot of books in the 'old school' grin

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

[Linked Image]

Superbeast #406274 August 19th 2010 12:26 pm
W
veteran
veteran
W
It wasn't my intention to contradict you Ken, I certainly don't have the to confidence to, or the experience of, rebuilding the steering gears.

The person who showed me how to adjust the box and told me about the wheel turning trick has been turning wrenches since before I was born and I thought I'd pass on his method.

He got nearly 3/4 turn on the first attempt, and it was nice in the middle, but too tight with the wheels turned, and would not self straighten after a turn, so he backed if off another 1/8 turn, and it remained that way until the gear was leaking so bad that I replaced it.

Thanks for your help over in my suspension thread.

wrcsixeight #406281 August 19th 2010 12:31 pm
Madman!
Madman!
No big deal buddy. I just meant, that maybe tuning the wheels to the stop may work too. Never tried it that way, but never heard that way either. Maybe it works both ways.

It's all good.

No problem, always glad to help out where I can.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

[Linked Image]

wrcsixeight #406284 August 19th 2010 12:42 pm
M
M_S Offline
old hand
old hand
M
Originally Posted by wrcsixeight

I was told when adjusting the steering gear that one should turn the wheels all the way to left or right. Since the gear is more likely worn in the center, adjusting it when turned to the stops helps insure you do not overtighten it too much, as I did once many years ago.

Adjust them in the center. I would assume this applies to most boxes, but Sag's are designed with a tighter center tolerance than at the locks (for the obvious reason). Adjusting while at one lock or the other might make it too tight on center and do damage.

M_S #406483 August 20th 2010 9:00 am
A
A
All right, did some research last night and this is what I found. From what I can gather, my steering wheel play is ALL in the steering gearbox. All the linkage is tight underneath, and the steering shaft coupler checked out tight as can be. I noticed the power steering fluid was low, so I topped it off and then drove the van. That helped some, but there is still some wandering while trying to keep the van going straight down the road (although not as bad as before).

So now.....does anyone have a short description of how to adjust the play out of the steering gearbox? I'm going to search the threads here, and probably google it in the meantime, but if anyone can provide some specific tips, that wouldn't hurt!

Thanks!

AugieFromCleve #406500 August 20th 2010 11:07 am
Madman!
Madman!
Um.... Look up six posts in this thread

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.