Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13
Re: 1989 B250 Front Suspension Rebuild
wrcsixeight #404564 August 12th 2010 1:39 am
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
The press which was not tall enough to press out my lower ball joint was also incapable of pressing out the LCA bushing. I drilled about 8 holes in the rubber with a 5/16 inch bit, then worked the drill bit back and forth around the perimeter. A little work with some needle nose vice grips removed all the rubber. I fed a hack saw blade through the bushing sleeve, and cut 95% of the way through it. I used an angle grinder and cutoff wheel to notch the bushing lip in line with the hack saw. I then broke out the sawzall and cut out a 1 inch cylinder from the center of the bushing.

Flipped it over, braced it. Cold chisel opposite the hack saw cut , and big hammer. Half dozen hits and I pull the ring out with 2 fingers. Same thing other side. Took about 20 minutes for the first CA, about 5 minutes for the second. I meant to take photos, but it just didn't happen.

My DS UCA bushings are 3 years old. I’m not replacing them. My PS UCA bushings look like they were replaced at the same time the Moog ball joint was installed, a decade ago or more. But I removed them in a similar manner. The uppers are more difficult because the pivot bar is still in the way. I popped off part number 4(the rattler), cut off all the rubber I could reach with a razor knife, drilled out the rubber,

I then busted out the dremel. I have these harbor freight diamond cut off wheels. One of these cut the bushing sleeve almost flush to the control arm in about a minute. Same thing other side of the bushing. Cold chisel, hammer, done.

With one bushing out, the pivot arm can be removed. I used the BJ press to push out the other UCA bushing.

One of the TRE’s fought a little bit on removal from the sleeve. It seems everything was more corroded on the passenger side. The passenger side sees more puddles and is the side closest to the ocean when I park next to it.

Spent the rest of the day with wire brushes and chemicals prepping the control arms and TRE sleeves for paint. A mindless task.

My new springs are a little heavier.

[Linked Image]

wrcsixeight #404565 August 12th 2010 4:14 am
old hand
old hand
Thems new springs sure are pretty. Maybe the old ones lost 3 pounds 7 ounces in rust lol Sounds like chop chop and taking out a lil at a time to get the old stuff out. The first time always takes the longest, the next time it always gets faster. I know how it goes with the pictures, I try to take as many as I can when I working on my van too but sometimes you just get so engaged in what you do you forget. Keep up the good work! Would love to see the cleaned control arms!

nickrahn #404617 August 12th 2010 10:08 am
Madman!
Madman!
I've never ad any luck pressing out old rusty bushings. I have a buddy with a huge press that would prolly do it, but was always afraid it would bend the arms. Over the many years I have done this stuff I still do it similar to the way you did it, only I burn out the old rubber.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Van Clan Plus One, Canada
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

[Linked Image]

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"
Superbeast #404641 August 12th 2010 12:03 pm
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
It was recommended to me to burn out the rubber, but I just hate that smell. The drill bit worked real good, it was just a little difficult to get it started without it walking around the perimeter. Of course the bit is toast now, but it was just a Cheapo HF bit

When I had the DS UCA bushings done in Mexico, the guy just used a hammer and a punch. Took him 45 minutes to get one bushing out, I was done in under 10. Looks like whoever replaced the PS UCA bushings also went about it the difficult way, the edges of the receptacle were all effed up.

wrcsixeight #404643 August 12th 2010 12:13 pm
Madman!
Madman!
Understandable! On the other hand, I used to drag race and I love the smell grin Works either way tho.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Van Clan Plus One, Canada
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

[Linked Image]

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"
Superbeast #404797 August 13th 2010 1:03 am
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
Got the lowers painted.
Pressed in the bushings.
Used some end grain red oak to keep from crushing the arms.
Used a quik clamp to hold the red oak in place.

[Linked Image]

wrcsixeight #404801 August 13th 2010 1:49 am
old hand
old hand
oooooo pretty!

wrcsixeight #404805 August 13th 2010 3:20 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Thanks for posting all the pics Wrcsixeight!

I was really surprised at the original spring being the same height as the new one. I would have bet on it sagging down some.

Your bushings are in remarkably good condition too for their age and all the hard driving you've done. The surface cracking is typical, and I think it even mentions as much somewhere in the service manuals. Those great pictures really show off the teeth I'd mentioned.

I hope you'll show me how you made the inset pictures sometime - that's an awesome thing!

Looks like there's still factory paint up inside that upper coil spring pocket too; who'd have thought? With just a little cleanup and painting, you should be good for the next 100k miles!

here's a thought - if you're wanting a small amount of paint on a budget, for on some of your new parts and other areas which need some touch up, you might do alright by using some of the spray can appliance epoxy like you'd find in a Lowe's or other hardware store. It would at least be better than the thin black paint on your springs which may only be meant as a preservative, like on replacement body panels.

Before I discovered Rust Bullet (and that the local automotive paint store would actually sell real automotive paints to me...) I sprayed some of the parts around my radiator and core support with Rustoleum black appliance epoxy to keep them from rusting. It's held up so remarkably well that I've actually left it on the core support and side panels. Some of those parts were left out leaning up against my van in the sun and weather for about 6 months too, before I ever got around to reinstalling them, and several years later they still show no rust! It's held up to insect strikes too, so the paint is quite respectable for the low price. Once it's dry, it even resists fuel and brake fluid for short exposures.

With all the work you've done you may eventually be interested in a heavier preservative coating. I've been using Rust Bullet Blackshell on my undercarriage with superb results. The Master Mechanic who rebuilt my van's rear end, and who also builds race cars, swears by it and uses it on everything he builds. He said he hasn't found a better undercarriage paint.

http://www.rustbullet.com/productcart/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=125

I usually buy quarts, since moisture in the air causes any unused Rust Bullet paint to skin over and set up fairly quickly.

I've also used their silver automotive paint on my roof and interior. It's tough stuff. Here's a link to their test page, where several test labs compared it to other corrosion-resistant paints such as Wasser and POR-15:

Their test results page:

http://www.rustbullet.com/testing.asp

Here's possibly the most interesting test:

http://www.rustbullet.com/IndTesting/500Test/500Test.asp

Rust Bullet is an exterior paint too, not requiring a topcoat like POR-15 and others, which don't even contain UV inhibitors. I've had Rust Bullet on my van's roof in direct sunlight outdoors 24/7 for several years now, and it shows no signs of deterioration. And I haven't waxed my roof... it's eventually getting some more paint on top. Till then I'm treating it as an experimental torture test.

Say, I'm really enjoying this thread. It's full of really useful (and otherwise hard to find) information. Between your thorough research, determination, attention to detail, and obvious love for your van, it's inspiring. Please keep posting your progress!

Clear skies!

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Ram4ever #404818 August 13th 2010 6:45 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
Wow...great job!!!

Too bad I'm just now reading this thread. I have a ball joint socket that you could've had for FREE grin

Nate Breece
Page 9 of 13 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Moderated by  Astro, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 16 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530