Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Favored brands of Ball joints, steering components
wrcsixeight #400090 July 24th 2010 3:35 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Wrcsixeight, a lot of autoparts stores will have loaner tools like the ball joint wrenches, which they'll let you use for free. You just put down a deposit, which you get back when you return the tool. Sometimes you end up with a complete kit of tools, which can be useful at times.

Clear skies!

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
amazon add parts
Ram4ever #400095 July 24th 2010 4:33 am
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
My concern at this point is not so much renting/ borrowing the correct tools, but to take my time and do the job right, and to determine which parts, which ball joints and tie rod ends will last the longest.

I really want to hear from this XRF company because the diesel guys say they among the top dog, in a class well above Spicer and Moog.

And while I kind of drive like a granny around here, when I get on a washboarded road, I go fast enough to float on top of it 4 wheel power drifts around corners, and I have become airborn numerous times when locking up the brakes did not slow me enough before becoming airborn, and in general abuse the living piss from my suspension, and tires.

While I have wonderful stories of Baja Californians being tremendously helpful when gringo cars break down, I have also herd stories from those who suffered broken ball joints or other issues, and wound up returning to an emptied car, with no recourse and hitchhiked back to the border with only a backpack and 20 dollars in their pocket.

My suspension is the last possible thing that needs to be rebuilt, and I want the parts which won't let me down, and right now it looks like spicer has moved infront of moog.

I am sure I have a lot of parts only slightly worn that would go for years longer, but once it is apart, I might as well do it all for a full rebuild, and then I will know pretty much everthing about the Dodge and how to fix it myself, and maybe drive it to tierra del fuego.

wrcsixeight #400125 July 24th 2010 12:52 pm
D
D
The autozone/kragen/advanced auto generic stuff doesnt last very long, IMHO. I'd be changing tie rod ends and ball joints in my Buick every other year.
My dad was a GM mechanic and he always told me to go with Moog. He even used it at the dealership, if that tells you anything.

I'm still using autozone crap, but i now live in a state that repaves their roads every time the wind shifts. Back when i lived in CT, there were potholes and ice heaves galore, so it was a little harder on the cars.

Danimal #400184 July 24th 2010 9:14 pm
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
I've already priced everything out for Moog, even replacing things I'm not sure that need replacing. It's just I've really abused this front end in Baja, and the only thing I've ever done was 3 sets of Idler arms, Shocks, and the steering gear.

I have a Napa and Autozone within Skateboard distance from me, so I might not just order everything from Amazon or Rockauto just to find a surprise in a box. At least at Napa I can see what I'm purchasing.

I see that Mcquay Norris makes full control arms too, and am wondering if they are any good or a joke like Fatvanman has reported the Dorman arms to be.

I'd also like to know for sure if Spicer Ball joints are the same as MCN extreme are same as Raybestos, same as Napa. The photos are exactly the same, the prices differ

wrcsixeight #400202 July 25th 2010 12:38 am
D
D
didnt you say you're in north county SD? If so, i'm in Escondido if you need any tools. I pretty much have all the stuff needed for front end work.

Danimal #400210 July 25th 2010 1:35 am
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
I'm over in Encinitas/leucadia, about 1/3 of a mile from the ocean as the crow flies.

The tools I need are a special socket to fit over this Ball joint:
[Linked Image]

I believe it is 2 1/8 inches. My buddy has a socket which fits over it, but it is star shaped inside, and a little loose, and a little tall. Judging by what I've read on removing these, my buddies socket will likely lead to the type curse fest which has the neighbors running for the hills and the skies turning black.

My buddy also claims to have spring compressors which fit inside the spring, but I am not convinced they are absolutely necessary, but I have never done this before.

And I need the tool to press out, and in, the lower ball joints, and control arm bushings.

But first I need to get paid, and order the parts, or at least the springs and bushings. I think I might just pay the extra and pick up the BJ's at the napa down the street. Much depends on the condition of the control arms, and if they have to be replaced.

I am 99% convinced that Napa gold is Raybestos professional grade is Mcquay-Norris extreme.

Spicer sold their chassis components division to Affinia group(MCN and Raybestos), but Dana/Spicer still owns their drivetrain components.

The offer of tools is much appreciated.

What a community!

Last edited by wrcsixeight; July 25th 2010 1:36 am.
wrcsixeight #400253 July 25th 2010 9:58 am
D
D
if you cant find that tool, i have a machine shop and can whip one up pretty easily. I also have a 20 ton press if you need it to get the ball joints out.

Danimal #400420 July 26th 2010 7:19 am
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
Has Anybody checked out that XRF Chassis website?
[Linked Image]
http://www.xrfchassis.com/difference-better.htm

Because I am starting to think this is what I will be ordering. The tire club site started working again, and the prices are very reasonable! 25$ an Upper threaded, 38$ lower press in .

I will be calling the XRF company tomorrow.

The Tire club website shows Mcquay norris pics and part numbers, but check out the prices on the claimed XRF product. If these really do have a million mile warranty, Then they win, and my search is over.
Tire club XRF Ball joints

XRF also makes TRE's and claim to have twice the pull out strength of any other.

Last edited by wrcsixeight; July 26th 2010 7:30 am.
wrcsixeight #400593 July 26th 2010 8:49 pm
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
I just went to Napa, Pep boys, Kragen, and Autozone, and made them pull out tie rod ends and ball joints, even if they did not have the specific parts for my Van.

I was kind of surprised to see that the Pep boys brand actually said Dana on the box, but that does not really mean much anymore. The ball joint ,which was one for my van, was not impressive. The grease zerk receptacle was not threaded.

The Napa gold, they dont really call it gold anymore, was not for my Van, but it obviously was the best part I looked at.

None of the stores had any MOOG in stock, but lemme say I was not impressed at all with the TRE's I saw from masterpro. I could move the joints by hand, and the boots were so loose that they had no chance of protecting it from debris.

In early 2006 I had my UCA bushings replaced in Baja(38$) and got to feel the ball joints. I assumed they should be loose enough to turn by hand and a little play was normal, assumed that's how they were when new.

Now I know better.

I'm ordering th XRF's.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 16 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members