Boxdin
Vanning.com logo
We host with and recommend Your-Site.Com - This site works best with FireFox - this site is powered by UBBCentral

Site Navigation

Advertisements
Recent Posts
Modern Hemi into Old Van
by Marti
Today at 12:05 AM
The black bitch...restoration
by Starlord
Yesterday at 11:30 PM
Thinking about buying this van, any input?
by VanEnvy
Yesterday at 10:33 PM
Windshield / A Pillar rust
by wrcsixeight
Yesterday at 10:13 PM
Captain_E's new daily driver
by Captain_E
Yesterday at 09:38 PM
1991 G10, 4.3/auto - Lost Reverse
by Keep_On_Truckin_WNY
Yesterday at 09:21 PM
Chopped 77 dodge van
by Digz
Yesterday at 08:39 PM
Braking issue
by JDouglas
Yesterday at 08:14 PM
Suspension knocking when turning left 95 g20
by rshields711
Yesterday at 06:59 PM
Butler 2014 Cruising the 50's
by Bblintpicker
Yesterday at 06:25 PM
Featured Links

-->
Cluster Map
Locations of visitors to this page
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#393226 - June 22nd 2010 2:09 pm How to Repair Loose Steering
nickrahn Offline
old hand

Loc: Loganville, Wisconsin
Hey guys, was inspecting things on van on why the steering was loose. My steering wheel moves about 6 inches each way when the engine is off. It's really bad. I found out most of it is at the coupler near the steering box. I found some parts and my manual shows how to fix it. Here are the pictures of the parts and the diagram.

I got the repair kit off of rockauto for about 10 bucks after shipping. Looks pretty easy and I will include more pics when I get the parts and install.

#393236 - June 22nd 2010 2:35 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
matchstickBGV Offline

Loc: louisville, ky
that looks like it could help a good bit. let us know how it works out.

#393240 - June 22nd 2010 3:16 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: matchstickBGV]
Ram4ever Offline

Loc: Dundee, Michigan
I've had one of those fail too, though not 6" worth. Please take some pictures of what you find when you open it up! I've only seen inside one other one, which was on a website with a pictorial.

I bet it will help you quite a bit, but you might still want to check for any other things that are loose while you've gone to the trouble of having the shaft apart.

BTW, if you find a source for the little rubber boot that goes over the top of the coupler, I'd be *really* interested in locating one; mine's starting on the downhill slide with a few small cracks, and I don't want water & debris getting in the coupler and ruining it!

Clear skies!

Bringin' her back - the construction never ends!

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

#396437 - July 07th 2010 12:29 am Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: Ram4ever]
MetallateM Offline
stranger

Loc: Victoria, B.C., CANADA
Ive done two befor and it helped but they will go again ,the part # for the dealer is #04443436ac Ive found that parts shops dont know what iam talking about Have been told its a dealer part ,some dealers still have these in stock as they were used till the mid 90s
The other fix (but costs $ ) is to buy a flaming river http://www.flamingriver.com/index.cfm/page/ptype=product/product_id=218/prd218.htm
there are a few other Co. aswell prices may be cheaper

#396444 - July 07th 2010 1:06 am Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: MetallateM]
wrcsixeight Offline
veteran

Loc: San Diego
Nick, I dealt with the sloppy coupler almost a year ago. My boot had disintegrated before I got my van, and I just let coupler continue to degrade. I had read somewhere on line how the rebuild only helps if the cup is not worn badly on the inside. I figured mine had to be badly worn so I spent about 10 times what you did and ordered the Flaming river U joint and replacement DD shaft.

I posted a thread over here a while back.
http://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/posts/382175.html

I did not read the directions you posted, but if you have to lift the steering column a little to remove the coupler, do not forget to disconnect the battery first lest you release the smoke from something in the process.

While the U joint eliminated all slop on that part of the steering shaft, I was left with slop in the tilt steering column, and the reman steering gear, so do not expect a rack and pinion like performance improvement.

I would enjoy a pictoral of the road not taken. Good luck!

#401838 - July 30th 2010 7:46 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: wrcsixeight]
little_red_pill Offline
journeyman

Loc: chicago,il
I just repaired my loose steering with this kit and i also fixed a leaky round seal on top of the gear box which i pried out replaced and all went well..but as always extra parts, like what are those two square cardboard looking things in the photo?

#401851 - July 30th 2010 9:27 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: little_red_pill]
nickrahn Offline
old hand

I didnt figure out the cardboard things either. I didn't do the repair yet cause I had trouble getting the tools in there to knock out those spring pins. I might have to remove the column. How did you do it?

#401871 - July 30th 2010 10:48 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
little_red_pill Offline
journeyman

Loc: chicago,il
i dont think those cardboard things is a part of the assembly..1st i removed the plastic over flow and windshield fluid bottles then i turned the steering wheel till i was able to position the roll pin slightly next to the radiator and that gave me enough room to knock the pin out..over all it was easy..however once you disassemble every thing, i found out that the steering shaft pin is very hard to knock out so i left the old one on there and stretched and slipped the rubber seal over it and it worked fine...also if you do this by your self it helps to tie the steering wheel to the windshield visor at the right angle, then it makes it easy to slip the shaft back on in the final step of assembly

#401873 - July 30th 2010 10:59 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: little_red_pill]
nickrahn Offline
old hand

ok thanks. Got the parts a while ago, just haven't got around to it yet.

#405707 - August 17th 2010 9:37 am Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
AugieFromCleve Offline

Loc: Medina, Ohio
My van has the same kind of play. I was underneath checking all the linkage and tie rod ends last night, and I didn't find any play down there. So I'm thinking it's either in the coupler or the power steering box itself. I do have tilt, so is there another universal joint in the tilt that wears out, too? My van has 101,000 miles and runs awesome.

Also, do you know if the Dorman kit from Rock Auto works for van equipped with tilt?

Thanks!

Edited by AugieFromCleve (August 17th 2010 9:38 am)

#405793 - August 17th 2010 3:36 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: AugieFromCleve]
nickrahn Offline
old hand

I got tilt too. The kit is for the coupler so it won't matter either way. If you grab the coupler and can twist it or wiggle it back and fourth then you need the repair kit. good thing it's cheap! When I get around to doing mine I will takes lots of pics.

#406061 - August 18th 2010 4:02 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
AugieFromCleve Offline

Thanks, Nick. I've spend the last two days (evenings) installing new u-joints (drastically reduced the "clunk" when shifting) and a new tailpipe. Now it's up to snuff mechanically except for the annoying steering. My wheel plays about 5-6 inches back and forth with the engine off, too. I'll be tearing into the coupler tonight to confirm/deny it's the source.

#406138 - August 18th 2010 9:02 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: AugieFromCleve]
nickrahn Offline
old hand

Yea mine moves about 3 or so inches each way off center when engine off. not good at all.

#406141 - August 18th 2010 9:08 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: AugieFromCleve]
maples01 Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Maryville, TN
I had a guy cut the cup setup off of my 72 CJ-5 and after correct measurements and fittings, weld up the knuckle from a Chrysler mini van on my shaft, it slid right up on my steering box splines, talkin about tight steering.

#406142 - August 18th 2010 9:27 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: maples01]
wrcsixeight Offline
veteran

X 2 on a u joint being far superior to the Cup. I replaced my steering gear at the same time but the difference in steering feel was astounding

#406154 - August 18th 2010 10:20 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: wrcsixeight]
nickrahn Offline
old hand

That looks pretty. Where do I get the parts and how much? I been procrastinating to do my coupler repair cause I not exactly sure how to get my man hands in there and work. I thinking I will have to pull the column.

#406161 - August 18th 2010 10:49 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
wrcsixeight Offline
veteran

They say you do have to pull the column up a couple inches to get the coupler off the gear. Since I was not re using the original steering Shaft, I cut it in half and never unbolted the column from the floor.

Here is a link to the flaming River U joint:
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/FLA-FR1755/
I posted more detail in the thread I made a few months back on this topic.
http://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/posts/382175.html

#406178 - August 19th 2010 2:15 am Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: wrcsixeight]
nickrahn Offline
old hand

Yea, I think I remember reading that. I think for right now I will use what I got and see how it works. How is that setup working so far?

#406216 - August 19th 2010 9:09 am Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
Superbeast Offline

Madman!

Loc: Dayton, New Jersey, U.S.A.
Originally Posted By: nickrahn
Yea, I think I remember reading that. I think for right now I will use what I got and see how it works. How is that setup working so far?

I've done this

on every 4x4 I ever owned. It's far superior than any of the slip joints from the factory.

One word of caution, when doing any swap of this type or even fixing the factory joint, DO NOT try and skip the dropping of the column step. If you pry up on the column to try and get the shaft out you will break the crush pin (collapses in a front end crash to keep column from spearing you) and the column shaft will be junk.
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"

#406223 - August 19th 2010 9:48 am Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: Superbeast]
Superbeast Offline

Madman!

One more thing guys;

If you go through fixing this joint and the steering is still sloppy AND you have made sure everything else in the front end is good (like wrcsixeight did) You can adjust some slop out of your steering box.

How, you ask.....

On top (on the side on some vehicles) of the steering box there is a nut with a threaded stud sticking out of it. The threaded stud will have a tooled hole of some kind cut in the end of it. I've seen straight slots, Hex Head holes, Square holes and even some Torx holes.

I's always best to clean the whole box well before doing this, but at least clan the area around this well before starting.

Next take a BOX wrench that fits the nut and tool (that matches the hole in the threaded stud) and place the wrench on the nut and the other tool in the hole. Crack the Nut loose about 1/4 to 1/2 turn (holding the stud from moving with your other hand and tool) Now, turn the stud clockwise 1/4 turn and snug down the nut. Move the wheel back and forth a few times and see how it feels.

Repeat this process until the steering feels firm with between 1/2" to 1" play.

DO NOT make it too tight or you will increase friction inside the box and burn out the parts inside.

If you are doing this with a manual steering box it is always good practice to make sure the box is full with gear oil first. Some boxes have fill plugs, and some fill by removing this adjuster.

This is by no means a repair for a bad steering box, but it can buy you some more time in a box that is worn, but still usable.

Hope this helps someone.
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

#406247 - August 19th 2010 11:02 am Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
wrcsixeight Offline
veteran

Originally Posted By: nickrahn

After I did the U joint, it was a joy to drive in comparison, but I did do the steering gear at the same time. If I did not remove the gear, I could not have slid the 10 inches of DD shaft back up into the column. I had the new one in place but unbolted, and just shifted it to the side for re installation.

I was told when adjusting the steering gear that one should turn the wheels all the way to left or right. Since the gear is more likely worn in the center, adjusting it when turned to the stops helps insure you do not overtighten it too much, as I did once many years ago.

#406251 - August 19th 2010 11:12 am Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: wrcsixeight]
Superbeast Offline

Madman!

Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight
[quote=nickrahn]I was told when adjusting the steering gear that one should turn the wheels all the way to left or right. Since the gear is more likely worn in the center, adjusting it when turned to the stops helps insure you do not overtighten it too much, as I did once many years ago.

Could be. I've only completely rebuilt 2 steering boxes in my time. I've adjusted dozens using this method and have never overtightened them doing 1/4 turns. Maybe running the wheels all the way to the stops will make the process a little faster by not having to do 1/4 turn at a time.

There were a lot of books in the 'old school' grin
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

#406274 - August 19th 2010 12:26 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: Superbeast]
wrcsixeight Offline
veteran

It wasn't my intention to contradict you Ken, I certainly don't have the to confidence to, or the experience of, rebuilding the steering gears.

The person who showed me how to adjust the box and told me about the wheel turning trick has been turning wrenches since before I was born and I thought I'd pass on his method.

He got nearly 3/4 turn on the first attempt, and it was nice in the middle, but too tight with the wheels turned, and would not self straighten after a turn, so he backed if off another 1/8 turn, and it remained that way until the gear was leaking so bad that I replaced it.

Thanks for your help over in my suspension thread.

#406281 - August 19th 2010 12:31 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: wrcsixeight]
Superbeast Offline

Madman!

No big deal buddy. I just meant, that maybe tuning the wheels to the stop may work too. Never tried it that way, but never heard that way either. Maybe it works both ways.

It's all good.

No problem, always glad to help out where I can.
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

#406284 - August 19th 2010 12:42 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: wrcsixeight]
M_S Offline
old hand

Loc: CA
Originally Posted By: wrcsixeight

I was told when adjusting the steering gear that one should turn the wheels all the way to left or right. Since the gear is more likely worn in the center, adjusting it when turned to the stops helps insure you do not overtighten it too much, as I did once many years ago.

Adjust them in the center. I would assume this applies to most boxes, but Sag's are designed with a tighter center tolerance than at the locks (for the obvious reason). Adjusting while at one lock or the other might make it too tight on center and do damage.

#406483 - August 20th 2010 9:00 am Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: M_S]
AugieFromCleve Offline

All right, did some research last night and this is what I found. From what I can gather, my steering wheel play is ALL in the steering gearbox. All the linkage is tight underneath, and the steering shaft coupler checked out tight as can be. I noticed the power steering fluid was low, so I topped it off and then drove the van. That helped some, but there is still some wandering while trying to keep the van going straight down the road (although not as bad as before).

So now.....does anyone have a short description of how to adjust the play out of the steering gearbox? I'm going to search the threads here, and probably google it in the meantime, but if anyone can provide some specific tips, that wouldn't hurt!

Thanks!

#406500 - August 20th 2010 11:07 am Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: AugieFromCleve]
Superbeast Offline

Madman!

Um.... Look up six posts in this thread
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

#406519 - August 20th 2010 12:23 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: Superbeast]
AugieFromCleve Offline

Wow.....how did I miss that, Ken?? Man, sometimes I feel stupid!

I'll be trying this over the weekend. Do I make the adjustment with the engine running or not? I generally like to take things like this slow, so I'll be doing the 1/4 turn at a time and then driving the van to see how it feels.

Thanks!

#406522 - August 20th 2010 12:37 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: AugieFromCleve]
Superbeast Offline

Madman!

lol We've all been there!

Do it with the engine off. I usually put the front end on a floor jack too, but be careful not to get under anything if it's not steady. If you do jack it up, be extra careful to not over tighten it. The wheel will move a lot easier with no weight on the wheels.
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

#406542 - August 20th 2010 1:31 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: Superbeast]
AugieFromCleve Offline

Thanks for the tips! I'll let ya know if adjusting this (hopefully) helps.

#406561 - August 20th 2010 3:16 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: AugieFromCleve]
Superbeast Offline

Madman!

grin No problem!
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

#406856 - August 22nd 2010 5:09 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: Superbeast]
AugieFromCleve Offline

Wow, oh wow, did this help my steering immensely! Thanks for the great tips, Ken! I had to remove the washer fluid and coolant overflow bottles to get to the adjustment screw/nut, but it was so worth it. With no play in the coupler and linkage underneath, adjusting this took 98% of the play out!

#406890 - August 22nd 2010 8:33 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: AugieFromCleve]
nickrahn Offline
old hand

Did my coupler the other day and my dad and brother helped. We got the things into the coupler wrong and the steering wheel is upside down. Now they gotta redo it to make it right. seems I might need a new steering box though. I got a few pics will try to post them later.

#407047 - August 23rd 2010 12:11 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
Superbeast Offline

Madman!

Glad it worked for you Augie
Manse Vans, Finland
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

#408939 - September 01st 2010 5:50 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: Superbeast]
nickrahn Offline
old hand

Heres some pics, you can see how bad the old pin was and how icky it was inside the coupler without the seal in place! Had trouble getting the new metal piece to stay put so we had to get creative.

#451135 - March 05th 2011 6:10 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
carlotta578 Offline

Loc: Canada
Ouch!! What a mess inside that thing! One more suggestion, if you retain that Mopar coupling.........install a grease fitting in the bottom so you can ocassionally purge all that junk that wants to find its way inside. Like this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#602959 - February 19th 2013 11:51 am Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
mlarky Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Pipe Creek Tx ( North of San A...
Glad for the info and pics. My coupler has way too much play in it and the wander as well as over steer is as annoying as it is scary at times. Hoping to get at it in the next few days. Just finished a complete front end rebuild/overhaul in my 92 Dodge B250. Everything but the steering box was replaced, all of the tie rods. New upper arms, both lower ball joints, both idlers, etc. Then had it aligned. New heavy duty shocks on all 4 corners as well. Even the shop tech said the steering coupler was probably the culprit, but alignment was dead on. Hope the coupler rebuild will solve the issue. Let y'all know.

#603237 - February 20th 2013 5:08 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
DrBob Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Stephentown NY
I did mine last month. What a difference.
I always feel I could do less.
"The only thing wrong with a perfect drive to work is that you
end up at work."
NOVA VANS
1990 Dodge B150

#603252 - February 20th 2013 7:12 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
wrcsixeight Offline
veteran

Some pics I posted 2.5 years ago on this topic no longer show up.

Here they are again:

I went with the U joint because
I thought my OEM coupler was beyond rebuilding:

#603674 - February 23rd 2013 11:20 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
patrick66 Offline
addict

Loc: OK
The pot coupler needs to be serviced occasionally with a new grease fill. No one does it as part of any routine maintenance. When your steering gets sloppy on ANY RWD US Mopar built between 1963 and 1993, this needs to be looked at FIRST, because it is something that 99.7% of all Mopar owners ignore, until things get really scary. If that is good, the steering box adjustment procedure described about halfway through the thread needs to be checked. THEN, check alignment and such. There is a difference between "sloppy steering" and a front end that is out of alignment, needing ball joints or tie rod ends, etc.

As part of the replacement procedure, the steering column MUST be dropped and removed from the coupler before a full service can begin.

#650977 - February 04th 2014 7:36 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
Michael44 Offline
stranger

Loc: Oregon
Thanks for all the info on this topic guys! Had very loose steering on a 1991 Dodge B350 with less than 100k miles.

After buying the steering coupler rebuild kit at Autozone for $8.00 and installing the new parts [well most of them] everything is working fine now.

Scooped out all of the old grease inside coupler and found some broken pieces [one shoe and 1/2 shoe spring] but not all of the pieces. Not sure where the other shoe and 1/2 of the shoe spring went - pushed out through seal?

Just glad I had some steering control after seeing those broken pieces.

Anyways without the info from this forum I am not sure I would have tackled this job or even known what to order.

#651132 - February 05th 2014 5:20 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
frscke1 Offline
carpal tunnel

Loc: San Diego California
Welcome to the site Micheal....
'92 CHEVY G30 454 BEAUVILLE EXT 146 WB

#665681 - July 08th 2014 3:08 pm Re: How to Repair Loose Steering [Re: nickrahn]
v8dve Offline
stranger

Loc: South Coast UK
Hi Guys, just thinking of doing the UJ mod on my 92 B250, however my steering column is the same as the pics shown here

http://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/602959/4

Has anyone done the UJ mod with this column?

Can this column be cut back to near the gear linkage and reveal the DD section so the DD shaft can be inserted into the column as shown in the pics further down the page, or is there no DD section?

Any help appreciated as in the UK as it's not easy here to get another column ;)

Thanks very much

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 >

Upcoming Events
GSVR -X
10-03-2014
AdSense
Instagram Feed
Who's Online
1 registered (Meanmachine), 5 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Jon_R, jddunn73, cwb440, Lyle, BigBeau
7926 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
Reed 115
lukester 101
Uncle_Fester 83
newkirkinc1 74
jules73 72
HighwayStar 71
frscke1 69