Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 38 39
Re: A few pix of my '75 Dodge blank canvas Van
beeper #390094 June 07th 2010 2:53 pm
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Well got the van into the back. My son and I started tearing into it. Well what a nightmare. Wiring everywhere. Burnt, frayed, spliced you name it I am sure that it has been done. So my first agenda is to clean up and make the wiring safe. Don't want any electrical fires. Not fun!!!
I did find out that the engine (318 2bbl.) it supposed to have has been changed to nice 360 4bbl. out of a '79 B200. That's a plus!

Now a couple of questions if you guys don't mind,
What went on the inside of the front doors? It looks like a cable went there. You can see a rub mark also hangers for a cable. I don't see it in the factory repair manuals and my parts book is not here yet.
Has anyone redone the pointers on the gauges, if so what color orange did you use. To me it looks like a fluorescent color.
I would like to redo or replace the PRNDL glass. Has anyone done that.
Sorry for all the questions its just that I want to get it back on the street to drive. I am just a little OK a lot excited!! Here are some pics more to come

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

It is better to have Van'd once in your life, then to never had Van'd at all!

[Linked Image]

AdSense long
FinallyaVanner #390118 June 07th 2010 4:21 pm
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
Nice van!

What went on the inside of the front doors? It looks like a cable went there. You can see a rub mark also hangers for a cable. I don't see it in the factory repair manuals and my parts book is not here yet.

Judging by the four holes drilled around the window crank area, looks like someone mounted one of those aftermarket power window kits and perhaps routed the wires to it along the door using those hangers. (???)

Nate Breece
NateB #390129 June 07th 2010 5:25 pm
M
M_S Offline
old hand
old hand
M
I would second that, Nate. That type of power window winder used to be popular.

When I did the gauges on my '77 and my T-Bird, I used Creatix Auto-Air fluorescent orange. It's a heat-set water based paint usually used for air brush art. I use it on R/C bodies, and had it lying around. I would guess Testors model paint in that color would work as well of better.

Here is a pic of the gauges in the 'bird

[Linked Image]

If you want one of the van gauges, let me know and I will post one.

M_S #390138 June 07th 2010 6:16 pm

LOST SOUL

LOST SOUL
I have used Testors fluorescent model paint to do the gauge pointers.
I would look at the wrecking yards for the shifter glass.
Be careful with that wiring. It looks almost as bad as my buddies 75 Dodge I just worked on.
Make sure the fusible links are still in place under the hood going into the main firewall connector. Good luck & keep us posted. Brad

Lordmodelbuilder #390147 June 07th 2010 6:56 pm
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks all!
Yes the more I look at the door and finding some cut wires laying at the bottom with the leaves and such. you guys are right. Power windows. The old crank is good enough for me.
I would like to see a pic of the van gauge.
I will pick up ether Testors or Tamiya paint and see.
I have the factory manual and been going over the wiring and what a mess. I worked for Chrysler from 1994 to 2005 and never had seen such a fire hazard. I know the newer models, but I have no real experience with the older ones. I will learn.
Totally forgot about the fusible links. THANKS!!! The Chrysler's I worked on didn't have them. The way the wiring is burned, they probably by passed those too! I will look into that.
They by passed the ballast resistor, running a wire from the coil to the run 1 side of the ignition switch. That explains why to start you had to wiggle the key to catch run 1 and run 2/starter together. And he told me his friend who is a mechanic said it was the ignition switch. Replace it and you'll be fine. Well we know different now don't we.
The interior lights wire is melted and by passed. Multiple wires tapped and cut running no where. The wires they installed were ether over or under gauged. I should have it all cleaned up by tomorrow. (Fingers crossed)
Thanks again for all the help. I will keep you posted. More pics to come!

[Linked Image]

FinallyaVanner #390151 June 07th 2010 7:09 pm
old hand
old hand
Any idea of the factory color code or even the name of the color? My '78 was originally white, but was painted a similar orange at some point, probably to match a fleet. I'd love to eventually re-do the paint, but I can't decide on what color (well, it's gonna stay orange) to use. People tell me it's close to Hugger Orange, but I'd like to use a color that could've been ordered from the factory in the '70s.

p.s. Great looking van, love those falres and the big slot mags! Sucks to have to go through all that wiring, but when its done and everything works like it should without catching on fire it'll be worth it.

Matt K.
Flyin' Dutchmen Vans, Lancaster PA
1989 GMC Safari Cargo
[Linked Image]
keystonekid1978 #390153 June 07th 2010 7:14 pm

LOST SOUL

LOST SOUL
Here's a link to the best Dodge B-van forum.
DODGE B-VAN FORUM

Lordmodelbuilder #390159 June 07th 2010 8:07 pm
M
M_S Offline
old hand
old hand
M
Here are the van gauges...
[Linked Image]

The only caveat about using model paint vs. the water based is to put something between the gauge face and the needle just in case. The water based wipes off easily (also take a few more coats to cover), but that acrylic might not be as easy to get off. The needles bend a bit, so the brush bristles do get close to the gauge face.

M_S #390162 June 07th 2010 8:23 pm
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
Thanks for posting the Dodge B-Van forum. Cool site.
Those gauges are just the way I want mine. New looking. Thanks for posting them. I have a modelers air brush I use for my 1/16 WW2 R/C tanks.

[Linked Image]

Page 3 of 39 1 2 3 4 5 38 39

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 21 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530