Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: edelbrook versus rochester quadrajet
shaggy #386867 May 20th 2010 4:19 pm
K
K
I'm not a die-hard Rochester fan, but if it runs good, then why mess with a good thing? It bolts right back up to where it came from & there's nothing wrong with it, so why not wait for your Quadra Jet to crap out, and you'll have the Edelbrock to fall back on. Yeah, I'd hang on to the Edelbrock though. In my (although limited) experience with Quadra Jets I've discovered that they are difficult to rebuild yourself, expensive to have rebuilt for you, and you may or may not get a good rebuild even if you do pay for it, but yet, I've seen some last a really long time before needing attention, and they make for a pretty good MPG carb too. Just my $.02 cheers

[Linked Image]
shaggy #386883 May 20th 2010 5:49 pm
W
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
W
shaggy you will need what is called a banjo fitting for that carb.It tuns the fuel line 90 degrees so you can fit and air cleaner on the top of it

There is also a big vacuum line that comes out of the front of the carb. Don't hook you gas line to that one.

Summit Racing

Sells them
part No EDL-8089 11.25 3/8's feul line

.......Wookee

Its a "Van Thing"
A life style you have to LIVE to understand!

[Linked Image]

Vintage Chevy Van Club
wookee #389359 June 03rd 2010 9:41 am
B
old hand
old hand
B
Everybody has their pick depending on experience, friends input etc. I have ran Edelbrock, Holley, Carter Thermoquad (gag), Strombergs, Rochester WCFB's, 2bbls and Q-jets. I spent a lot of time learning Q-jets and gathering the tools and parts assortment to work on them. I prefer them way above anything else on the street. I can modify them to run on about anything no matter whether its for mileage or on a hot motor with a big cam even to building a matching set and tuning them to run on a tunnel ram. They are great well engineered carbs. That being said, don't just take anybody's advice and run with it. For some, the ease of changing metering rods and vacuum breaks makes the Edelbrock easy, for some swapping jets and squirters on a Holley is a piece of cake. The MAIN thing is to learn HOW to tune the carb you have. All these carbs have advantages and dis-advantages but if you KNOW how to tune and adjust on them, you can make them perform suitable to your needs. You can't blanket any of them with a "good" or "bad" rating, just an "in tune" or "out of tune" assesment. If you are having repeated problems you can't get ironed out CHECK the base and other mating parts for flatness, that causes a lot of problems, also, one lesson I have learned is that if they act like they are too lean, they are most likely too rich, try going leaner before you go richer. Make one adjustment at a time then drive it. Sometimes it takes several tries but you can tune a carb to perform the way it needs to for your particular needs.

Last edited by Bullet; June 03rd 2010 9:43 am.

'85 GMC Shorty
'98 Suburban K2500
'98 Pontiac G8 GT
'77 Pontiac Astre
'95 Jeep Wrangler
"I thought you weren't allowed to talk to guys with vans??"
shaggy #394172 June 26th 2010 1:05 am
well, if the engine has a square-bore manifold then you won't be using a quadrajet so look at the edelbrock carb or any other suitable square-bore carburetor unless you plan to install a spread-bore manifold to go with the q-jet smile

George

1998 Chevy G2500, Vortec 5700, 4L80E, hand-controls and wheelchair lift smile
shaggy #394226 June 26th 2010 12:04 pm
enthusiast
enthusiast
If you use the Q-Jet, carefully check the fuel filter housing and carb inlet threads. Not only were these prone to cross-threading, but a dielectric difference in the metals of the housing and carb could cause unseen wear and potential failure. There is still an entire industry around fixes for this smile

In 1978 a failure in this area on the way home from work nearly cost me my mostly restored, freshly painted ($2800 for a paint job in 1978 was a boatload of money, especially for a 19 year old) 1967 GTO.

The housing blew out from thread corrosion and commenced to dump probably a gallon or more of gas on the engine before she lit off.

If it wasn't for a mysterious man with a fire extinguisher, who I never even got to thank, I would have lost the whole thing. Fire shot up 20 feet in the air when the hood was opened.

I was lucky and only lost the hood and everything not hard-metal forward of the firewall.

It took me 4 months of several hours a night work to build, by hand, a new firewall-forward wiring harness.

Carb, A/C, Hoses, Alternator, Valve Covers, and every other bit short of the core engine had to be replaced.

The insurance company totaled it of course.

I kept it and rebuilt it.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (Wedgy), 20 guests, and 9 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 130
CatFish 28
frscke1 28
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,747