1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Replacing OEM steering Coupler with U joint !!!! PICS!!!
#382175 May 03rd 2010 12:35 am
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
While I did this modification last summer, I only recently became aware of this Forum, and thought you guys would appreciate it.

Ever Since I bought my Van I was irritated with the loose steering. When new to me, I had noticed the Boot over the steering coupler had disintegrated, and there was a lot of slop in the coupler. But It was not broken, and I did not fix it.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

When the steering gear started leaking profusely, it was time to address both issues at once. At first I figured I would rebuild the OEM coupler, but then suspected the cup was very worn as well, and the rebuild kit would only help to somewhat to eliminate slack. I then found it impossible to aquire a new coupler and looked for other options.

So After some research, I found that Dodge Steering gears use a 5/8 inch 36 spline attachment point, and that my steering column had a 3/4 inch DD shaft recepticle.

So I ordered these 2 parts: Flaming River U joint
DD steering Shaft

I bought an Reman Steering gear from Autozone, Atsco or Apsco brand, I forget which.

I also bought a cheap fuel filter for flushing the Power steering system and a magnetic inline filter for the return hose. and new hydraulic hoses.

At First I thought I was going to have to unbolt the Column from the floor to remove the old coupler, and gear. Since I knew I was not going to reuse the old steering shaft, I instead took an angle grinder with a cut off wheel and just cut the old steering shaft. I was then easily able to remove the old coupler and Steering gear without unbolting the column from the floor.
[Linked Image]

I found that the DD shaft receptacle within the Steering column was very deep, and instead of cutting the new shaft short and drilling a hole through it for a bolt, I would just insert it and let it be. The old coupler would allow for some frame flex, and by not bolting the new shaft into the Column it would act like a telescoping Steering column. I have since noticed that no visible telescoping has occured in the subsequent 9 months

I found the Steering column receptacle is 3/4 diameter DD shape and 12.25 inches deep.

Ultimately I had to cut the DD shaft down to a total length of 13 and 3/4 inches with about 10.25 inches inside the steering column. Any longer and I could not get it to slide in without unbolting the column from the floor.

A couple holes had to be drilled in the Gears spline and the DD shaft for the set screws. Only in the photo did I notice the missing spline indicating the center point, and I missed it by a tooth. Oh well.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I wound up going overboard making sure I flushed out all the old fluid. I did fill up the PS Pump reservoir and start the engine briefly with the hoses unhooked from the new Gear. The thing was shooting fluid like a garden hose and emptied the reservoir in under 1.5 seconds.
I then installed the cheap in line fuel filter and closed the loop filled it with new fluid and ran the engine, then drained all that fluid, installed new PS hoses, magnetic in line filter, hooked them to the new gear and filled it up, and Bled the system. There was a lot of debris in the catch pan. I did not bother to open up the cheap fuel filter for inspection.

The steering response improved greatly, but there is still some slack. The U joint from the tilt steering and the rebuilt gear itself are the sources of the slop.

Highly recommended upgrade!

Last edited by wrcsixeight; May 03rd 2010 12:36 am.
Re: Replacing OEM steering Coupler with U joint !!!! PICS!!!
wrcsixeight #382184 May 03rd 2010 4:12 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
I did this to my 70 Jeep CJ-5 using one from a Chrysler minivan, the low buck method, I hate those old sloppy cup linkages.

maples01 #382204 May 03rd 2010 6:41 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Sweet pictorial! Thanks for putting that highly detailed how-to together. Great links too. I'd never seen that coupler you used; it's a great one for the job. Was the magnetic filter you mentioned a Magnefine? I've started using them after reading good things about them. How much mischief was it to pull the pittman arm off of the steering gear? I may be going there in the near future... I think there's a hint of seepage on the output shaft seal.

Clear skies!

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Ram4ever #382217 May 03rd 2010 7:14 am
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
I do not recall the name of the Magnetic filter. I do remember reading the directions on the steering gear saying they would not warrant it if one were not installed on the return line.

I bought it at Autozone. I think it was made in Australia. I'll check and get back to you.

That pictoral was easy to set up because I just copied the URL's from a Dodge B van specific forum I originally posted them on, but I did write new text.

Funny you should ask about the Pitman arm. Before I began working on it, I used 2 cans of carb cleaner and many small wire brushes on the Gear and connection points. It had been leaking off and on for years. The Lucas Stop leak was effective, for a couple months here and there, but the build up was impressive.

I was then able to see that the thick lock washer was not flat.
Turns out the nut was just past finger tight. My friend had a seriously overbuilt homemade pitman arm puller. I slid it into place. Tightened the drive bolt by hand. Put the 3/4 wrench on it, applied about 2 inch pounds of torque, and the pitman arm just fell off. Kind of scary really.

I have been applying strong magnets to the exterior of my oil filter for a few years now. I don't know if they are strong enough to pull ferrous particles from the flowing oil, or if they only pull the particles from the paper media with the engine off, but one thing is for sure, they cannot hurt.

[Linked Image]
I do not know why any URLs I am copying from photobucket are not showing up as a photo, but as a link. This has been happening on other forums as well. If anyone knows what I've apparently forgotten how to do, please enlighten me.

Edit: Thanks for that link, it is certainly an easier method that what I was doing. I think it might be because I am using Google Chrome and clicking on the "enter an image" icon which is being displayed all over the forum as the error symbol, like when photos do not show up in an e-mail.

Last edited by wrcsixeight; May 03rd 2010 8:13 am.
wrcsixeight #382220 May 03rd 2010 7:38 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
If they were from Australia, that's almost certainly Magnefine. Does this look like it?

[Linked Image]

I've been buying mine from a seller on eBay, but I also see them listed at Rock Auto.

I'd read something similar to what you said about the warranties - but in relation to automatic transmission replacements by Honda, Ford and Chrysler dealers; they require Magnefine filters be installed at the time a replacement transmission is installed. The filter removes any leftover debris from the failed transmission, manufacturing residue from the new transmission, and reduces suspended particulates from the new transmission's break-in significantly. I believe I read that they are effective down to 30 microns filtration, and the magnet captures any of the potentially harmful metallic fines which are smaller than that.

Once I discovered them (about 2 months ago) I figured I'd put one in my power steering return line too, since I'd replaced the steering pump and hoses within the last couple hundred miles and the original fluid was ugly and opaque enough that I flushed it all out with nearly 1/2 gallon of new power steering fluid while driving the steering gear into it's limits. The Magnefine filter should police up any remaining residue from the new pump and hoses.

The image link you posted looked odd... I'm not sure why it says IMG:center. Here's an old tutorial on posting Photobucket images that Superbeast put together. Astro did a really nice one recently too; it should be at the beginning of the forums. Please let me know if this doesn't help.

[Linked Image]

Clear skies!

Last edited by Ram4ever; May 03rd 2010 7:52 am. Reason: ba-aa-aad spelling!

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Ram4ever #382222 May 03rd 2010 8:03 am
W
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
W
Got the Photo Sorted, Thanks!

That is definitely the filter I installed. Thanks for keeping me from crawling under my van to check. Wasn't cheap at Autozone. I have been thinking of adding one on my transmission aftermarket cooler lines. I did install a few of those ridiculously strong magnets inside my tranny pan instead of the weak circular one. Added a drain plug too.

If yours is only leaking slightly, the Lucas stop leak steering fluid did work for me. It was only after the real long drives that it leaked, for a couple years any way.

wrcsixeight #382229 May 03rd 2010 8:42 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
My 94 has a u-joint type coupler instead of the old style coupler. Not sure what year they changed over.

Nate Breece
NateB #382230 May 03rd 2010 8:47 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
The OEM style couple rebuild kit is available through Dorman.

http://www.dormanproducts.com/search.aspx?SearchTerm=425-253

Nate Breece
NateB #382470 May 04th 2010 2:43 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Yeah, my output shaft is only just barely moist - no actual dripping going on, but I can definitely see some shininess. I figure it'll probably hose me when I can least afford it, like when I'm a gazillion miles from home and things are tight and I need to be at work the next day and I'm driving down a mountain.

The Magnefine filters are one of my better bets at reducing the odds of such failures in the trans and power steering systems.

If you'd be interested, here's links to a couple of eBay sellers of Magnefine filters. These are both for the 3/8" size filters. I bought several from the first guy, and he's fast. The 2nd has a bit lower shipping, though I haven't tried him.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150416159187

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260414779247

Clear skies!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users