1987 G20 Gypsy
by SDMickey - March 25th 2024 9:39 pm
Featured Links

Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Convert to Fuel injection can be cheap!! (relatively)
#355233 January 17th 2010 6:32 pm
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
BTW thanks for all of the feedback and advice on my other thread about mileage.

I am now on to another thought. I could just convert to fuel injection using this universal kit from DIY.

Convert to fuel inj cheaply

This kit looks like it could be put together w a junkyard 2bbl throttle body from a chevy for around 600.00 total cost. Has anyone ever tried this?

Thoughts??

Re: Convert to Fuel injection can be cheap!! (relatively)
motorjunkie #355261 January 17th 2010 9:03 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
I'd get a whole FI vehicle and transfer everything over. Donor vehicles can be had so cheap and its not "make your own harness" stuff. Pull it out, put it in, bango. You're on the road. And its reliable.

On Chevies, I swap the intake and throttle body over (with a minor modification) and pull the new harness in, and put in a late model ford frame mounted electric fuel pump inline. Works great. No hard starts in winter, and doing just an "overlay" like that can all be had in the junkyard cheep cheep. If you want and you got a whole donor vehicle, you can upgrade by putting the whole updated drive train in as well.

Not to say that's a bad setup, I just have no experience with it to help you. Just letting you know what has worked for me.

Josh Souders
Performance Inc

[Linked Image][Linked Image][Linked Image]

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!
josh_performanceinc #355328 January 18th 2010 9:10 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
Someone on here swapped over to TBI on their Dodge van using the Chrysler system. I forget who it was though.

Nate Breece
NateB #355378 January 18th 2010 11:51 am
Madman!
Madman!
This will not necessarily give you better gas mileage tho. You need to weigh the cost of the modification against the possibility of only getting a couple more MPG or maybe none at all.

Ken Schwarz
Tricky Truckers, N.J.
Van Clan Plus One, Canada
Manse Vans, Finland
Rebel Vanners, N.J. "USA"
Toopa Sinner Tribe, N.C.

www.showvans.com

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/360991

[Linked Image]

"Coolness ALWAYS trumps comfort"
Superbeast #355459 January 18th 2010 4:19 pm
M
M_S Offline
old hand
old hand
M
With that system, you gaining all of the headache of EFI with no benefit over a carburetor (unless you are off-roading or driving extreme elevation changes.

You'll get the hassle of an ecu, O2 sensor, extra wiring, and running a return line back to the tank, but the fuel is still going to be falling out of atomization by the time it reaches the chamber.

I would only consider an EFI swap if you were going to multi-port instead of TBI.

M_S #356894 January 24th 2010 3:15 pm
Vanatic
Vanatic
I just swapped mine to TBI.

I had a 1984 Dodge shorty with a slant 6 that was blown. I checked around and found an 88 Dodge shorty with a shot body but it had a good running 318 with TBI. I wasn't planning on doing a TBI swap, but thats what I came across, so I figured i'd give it a shot. I parked both vans next to eachother and swapped everything. To tell you the truth it was a pain because eventhough they are the same body style there are several small differences between them.
I first stripped the 84 to a shell removing everything under the hood, fuel lines and fuel tank. Then I started stripping the 88 and marking everything and taking detailed pics.
I then found that the wiring is different for the high beams, windshield wipers, so I had to swap the steering columns also the plug for the column was different between the two, so I had to swap the dashboard. (that was well worth it cause the 88 had a/c, so I swapped all of that in also)
I also had to swap the wiring throughout the van from the dash back to the taillights cause the wiring for the fuel pump and sending unit ran through the interior light and brake light/taillight harness.
While everything was out I had the motor and trans rebuilt and once I got everything back I started reassembly. It took a while, but everything worked out great. I just got it running 2 weeks ago, so now I am just going over everything and fixing the minor problems.
The only real problem I had (which I created for myself is that I had a 904 on the 318 and I swapped that for a 727 that I had lying around, so I had to get the driveshaft shortened and I had to modify the 904 linkage to work on the 727. Also I put headers on it, so I had to weld an o2 bung onto the exhaust to put tht o2 sensor into the system.
I found that the 84 gas pedal went through the side of the body by the doghouse and ran by linkage and the 88 was a cable setup that ran straight out through the firewall and around to the TBI. One thing that I found to be different body wise was that the floor was formed differently around the gas pedals between the two, so the 88 gas pedal needed a little bit of modification to work correctly.
Other than that everything went pretty smooth. Right now I am going around fixing little stuff.
I have no clue what kind of gas mileage I will get with it, but i'm guessing not that good because I put a cam in it and headers on it. But I wasn't looking for good gas milage anyway, I work only 3 miles from my house. Now i'm looking forward to putting an autostart on it and starting it for in the house on those cold mornings and being able to cool it down on those hot afternoons.
I started another post awile ago showing the progress of tearing the two down, but I don't knowe how to link it to this one so you can see the pics. I also have to post more pics of it going back together, so when I do that I will try to link it together.
I hope this helped out some. I don't know how the aftermarket kits work, but if you want to swap a factory setup I suggest you have a good donor cause you need a lot.

[Linked Image]
1984 Dodge Van "Tootsie Roll"
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3190947
1987 Dodge Dakota (360 4-speed)
1974 Plymouth 'Cuda (340 4-speed)
2005 Dodge Ram (HEMI)
2011 Dodge Durango

Edison Light Cruisers
www.facebook.com/edisonlightcruisers
8StreetVan4 #356899 January 24th 2010 3:38 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Good job! Can't wait to see the pics

[Linked Image]

LostSheep #356936 January 24th 2010 5:09 pm
Vanatic
Vanatic
If I posted it right this is the original post I started with the dismantling of the 88(pink) and the 84(brown) in the background. I have a lot more pics I just have to download them and post them, but this will show how much I took apart.

https://www.vanning.com/threads/ubbthreads.php/topics/247100/Pink_Panther_Comes_Apart.html

[Linked Image]
1984 Dodge Van "Tootsie Roll"
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3190947
1987 Dodge Dakota (360 4-speed)
1974 Plymouth 'Cuda (340 4-speed)
2005 Dodge Ram (HEMI)
2011 Dodge Durango

Edison Light Cruisers
www.facebook.com/edisonlightcruisers
8StreetVan4 #357039 January 25th 2010 12:22 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
good job, glad things went good for you

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 14 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 129
frscke1 28
CatFish 25
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,746