Boxdin
Vanning.com logo
We host with and recommend Your-Site.Com - This site works best with FireFox - this site is powered by UBBCentral

Site Navigation

Advertisements
Recent Posts
Orange Crush!
by Goose111
26 minutes 58 seconds ago
42nd Van Nationals 1983GMCvan's Youtube VIDEO
by jbass62
35 minutes 35 seconds ago
H.A.V.E.'s 9th Annual Truck-In
by 4snymph
Today at 09:53 AM
norcal wing
by StreetVanFan
Today at 09:18 AM
Radical Rickshaw
by wookee
Today at 09:17 AM
Lost Dakota....(a build thread)
by Detour
Today at 09:08 AM
recommendations on steering and suspension parts brand
by Maciej102
Today at 08:27 AM
Thinking about buying this van, any input?
by jules73
Today at 06:15 AM
new 350 for my 89 g10
by KristofBE
Today at 02:54 AM
Rear Window rust
by Rusty_Pancelode
Today at 02:52 AM
Featured Links

-->
Cluster Map
Locations of visitors to this page
Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#355609 - January 19th 2010 11:34 am Re: Vanner Database Reply Thread [Re: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!!]
josh_performanceinc Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Leesburg NJ
Originally Posted By: Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!!
As far as recognition goes at eVANt's, it would help if everyone posted their own pic in the avatar field, or at least in the signature.......

Even as long as we have been around Vanning, we are still not known by many of the relative newcomers.....

Exactly why I put myself for my avatar "profile pic". After going to Keystone and recognizing Matchstick from his, I came home and did the same. I would likely have never made the connection otherwise! cool

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

AdSense
#355619 - January 19th 2010 12:03 pm Re: Vanner Database Reply Thread [Re: Superbeast]
josh_performanceinc Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Leesburg NJ
Originally Posted By: Superbeast
All GREAT ideas Downie! Those are some of the exact reasons why I want this to happen. Unfortunately (by response) it doesn't seem like there is a whole lot of interest. frown

Sorry Ken. I haven't made it on lately! I like the idea. A database with searchable fields and a "profile" picture for recognition I think would be ideal. BUT fortunately, as was mentioned, a great deal of long-time vanners do not have (or want, or care, etc!) internet access. It will unfortunately be up to us regular users to track and update many (if not most) vanners' information. I often look at last activity date on here for people, but that doesn't mean that they've stopped vanning. I know a few people that just don't care for the site.

Given all that, is it a good idea? I think so! Is it a lot of work? Yes. Will it be used to its potential? Only time will tell. I don't think we can automatically expect it to work, but I could only hope it would not be a wasted effort. Let me know if there's anything I can do to help.

And I do suspect that the younger vanners are more computer savvy and may pick up on it more readily. Perhaps it will even gain us a few more interested youngsters if it is widely searchable. Then again, with our ugly mugs, maybe it will scare them off! lol

And more importantly, given this conversation, if it is of any interest, I know that Performance has been talking about a "Vanner Registry" for a couple years now. A suggestion was a "card" that linked you to the register, similar to like a "social security card of vanning". So, say if you're an East Coast'er and you make it to the West Coast, you'd get an easy welcome if they know you are not some schmoe off the street, and are truly the "real deal". There are a lot of people out there that are questionable and it sucks that we have to be so careful to not let unsavory people who are just looking for a party to get drunk and cause trouble spoil our good time. In these days it sucks we have to protect our way, and I'm sure that's what's causing the reluctance to invite new members. But we can always hope for improvement!

Damn that's a long post! Well, really if there's anything I can do to help with the database or if you'd like more about Performance's ideas, let me know.

The voices in my head may not be real, but they have some good ideas!

#355887 - January 20th 2010 4:57 pm Re: Vanner Database Reply Thread [Re: josh_performanceinc]
HomeBrew Offline
veteran

Loc: Ohio, USA
Originally Posted By: downie519

Last point, I think that having contact info might help. I was thinking about vanner break-downs. If we knew where the closest ones were to call for assistance, that might help too.

Gee whiz. I never thought of that. Not many places keep parts for earlys in stock.....but I know some vanners that do. That would be really useful to know who you could call for he help.
That would also be great for long road trips…. Figure out who is in the travel path and what yards you could park in.

Originally Posted By: joshvan

There are a lot of people out there that are questionable and it sucks that we have to be so careful to not let unsavory people who are just looking for a party to get drunk and cause trouble spoil our good time. In these days it sucks we have to protect our way, and I'm sure that's what's causing the reluctance to invite new members

I would have to agree with you. Sketchy people suck! But how do we sort the rejects from the people we would want around. It is a very ironic problem. IMHO, the trusting of “outsiders” has been and still is the leading contributing factor to the decline of the vanning movement over the last few decades. I get the impression that the community doesnt seem comfortable letting outsiders in, yet we sit around scratching our heads wondering why vanning nearly died out (Litterally). It is indeed a pickle….
I’ll be honest, new people that I don’t know sketch me out. : - )

#356102 - January 21st 2010 12:58 pm Re: Vanner Database Reply Thread [Re: HomeBrew]
ScarletteWidowDodge Offline
old hand

Loc: York, PA
Maybe a way to weed people out would be to have a probationary period or at least three or more evants?. Maybe the requierement that you actually drive a van and drive it to evants? I know that I had more fun at keystone and Summerset then at Freezeout because there were more puppies at Freezeout and the other two had an older attendence (no offense) And not that I didnt have fun at Freezeout, it was just louder and rowdier. But maybe the older people were just the same way when they started? Not sure what the point I am trying to make, but I know its there somewhere!

Memeber of the Toopa Sinner Tribe (2011)
Independent Trucker for now (since 2009)

#356125 - January 21st 2010 2:24 pm Re: Vanner Database Reply Thread [Re: ScarletteWidowDodge]
LostSheep Offline
pooh-bah

Loc: Dixie, USA
Oh Boy!.....Geezer Truck-ins! Geritol & Walkers Only! lol

#356422 - January 22nd 2010 1:14 pm Re: Vanner Database Reply Thread [Re: LostSheep]
HomeBrew Offline
veteran

Loc: Ohio, USA
"It was just louder and rowdier. But maybe the older people were just the same way when they started?"

Thats what I would like to believe :-)

#356975 - January 24th 2010 6:28 pm Re: Vanner Database Reply Thread [Re: ScarletteWidowDodge]
Tigerlady Offline
old hand

Loc: Staunton, VA
Maybe a way to weed people out would be to have a probationary period or at least three or more evants?. Maybe the requierement that you actually drive a van and drive it to evants? I know that I had more fun at keystone and Summerset then at Freezeout because there were more puppies at Freezeout and the other two had an older attendence (no offense) And not that I didnt have fun at Freezeout, it was just louder and rowdier. But maybe the older people were just the same way when they started? Not sure what the point I am trying to make, but I know its there somewhere!
Well, actually, Freezeout only had maybe 4 puppies this year. Last year , I think it was more like 10 puppies. I think it was louder because we were all in Free Bird's big hootch and had the heater going and TV and DVD player going and of course, lots of partying going on. Even at Keystone, Free Bird's campsite always seemed to have a "full house" all week long or at Big Bob's place. Party goers go where the noise is. We did have alot of the younger generation there but alot of them are part of the Free Bird Club. I know that Wizard and I always have a great time no matter where we are. That's part of socializing. Yes I have to admit though, it did get crowded in there and loud in there but I guess that is just part of it. As long as everyone goes vanning, socializes and has a great time, that's all that matters. Hope to see you back at Freeze Out 2011 and let's hope it won't be as cold.

#356980 - January 24th 2010 7:06 pm Re: Vanner Database Reply Thread [Re: LostSheep]
heavy389 Offline
veteran

Loc: New Jersey
Originally Posted By: LostSheep
Oh Boy!.....Geezer Truck-ins! Geritol & Walkers Only! lol

What U say? wait leme turn up the hearin aid! shift opps LMAO

79 B-200

#357860 - January 28th 2010 7:19 am Re: Vanner Database Reply Thread [Re: heavy389]
starwars Offline
Blendor Of Fine Schnapps

Loc: norfolk va
sounds like agrea idea ken but alt of work hard part would be for people keep you updated

I, not events, have the power to make me happy or unhappy today. I can choose which it shall be. Yesterday is dead, tomorrow hasn't arrived yet. I have just one day, today, and I'm going to be happy in it. Groucho Marx

#357867 - January 28th 2010 7:33 am Re: Vanner Database Reply Thread [Re: ScarletteWidowDodge]
Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! Offline
Vanner

Loc: Burlington, On, Canada Eh !!!!

Last point, I think that having contact info might help. I was thinking about vanner break-downs. If we knew where the closest ones were to call for assistance, that might help too. sorry for the mish mash of ideas.

Like this one Downie ???

http://www.vannationalsboard.org/emergency%20contact%20vanners.pdf

Judith Pilon of the Natz board is putting that together for quite a while now....
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers

Page 4 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

Moderator:  Lil_Ed, nautic1 
Upcoming Events
AdSense
Instagram Feed
Who's Online
2 registered (Mutt, jbass62), 4 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
fghijk961915, notchback, kitb, analogdog, Bubblez
7904 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
lukester 103
HighwayStar 84
Reed 82
jules73 75
Uncle_Fester 72
newkirkinc1 70
kawrider 67