Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Converting to Power windows on Phoenix
Phoenix #314375 August 02nd 2009 2:06 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Phoenix, Glad to hear you've got it together! I'll be looking forward to your pics!

BTW, many of the pin removal tools are thin strips of stainless shim or small tubes. As often as not I just use the smallest flatblade screwdriver in a jeweler's screwdriver set.

Clear skies!

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Ram4ever #314390 August 02nd 2009 7:25 am
Phoenix Offline OP
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
I just took a hammer to a tig welding rod, shaped it on the belt sander and made a flat spade out of it, actually For the female side I had to have two. All thats left to do is tuck up the wires nice and neat and hook up the light wire for the lighted switches.

Cheers!

Been There, done that, Member of those....

Built for comfort not for speed angel....Well speed too !...smile

I am a vanner, Promise me the world, give me nothing, I'll be back ... next year !
[Linked Image]
Phoenix #314440 August 02nd 2009 12:44 pm
Phoenix Offline OP
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
Yesterday I got the hole saw out and cut into the doors and got everything mounted. Ran the wiring harness through the rubber plugs in the door and door sill in the rubber flex conduit.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] [Linked Image]
This morning I got all the wires bundled up and tied securely.
[Linked Image]
I did find the Power window terminal on the Ron Francis fuse box which was convenient, I found the instrument light wire and scotch locked the window switch light wire into that.
All that was left really was vacuuming out the doors getting any stray metal shavings out that might start the "demon RUST". Then putting on the door access panels. For you guys that have Dodge Vans, Ill bet everyone has at least one or three if not all screws that hold the access panels on your doors are stripped or close. Here is a little trick that will give your screws a bit more bite. A Vice clamp clamped tightly across the screw hole in a couple directions presses most of the metal back into the thread area in the screw hole and if you do not get real rough with a screwdriver your screws will hold the panel securely again without any rattles [Linked Image]

Cheers!

I am a vanner, Promise me the world, give me nothing, I'll be back ... next year !
[Linked Image]
Phoenix #314563 August 02nd 2009 7:18 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
That's really looking nice Phoenix!

And thanks for the great pictorial - I'm always happy to see those areas of vans that I don't get into very much; I learn things from them, and it keeps the pictures in my mind from drifting too far off course!

Clear skies!

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Ram4ever #315574 August 04th 2009 9:24 pm
Phoenix Offline OP
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
No broblem THX for letting me know I still have alot to do on Phoenix. I'm not afraid to show what is going on with it. Glad to add some input

Cheers!

[Linked Image]
Phoenix #323118 August 31st 2009 12:34 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
well i got the power windows out of my '86 Dodge and into my '75. i have the same kit as Phoenix used, i think i paid $320 two years ago. i seem to struggle on about everything i touch and this took me the whole weekend to finish and a lot of aggravation. ended up having to put the windows from the '86 into the '75 because of the bigger slider. measured the mounting holes from the '86 and transferred them to the '75 and drilled them out. its tough to find a good spot to get the wiring from the door to under the dash. i ended up putting the '75 crankers into the '86. had to measure that out also, should of probably got some from the same year out of the wrecking yard, would have been easier but i went cheap. i see why they changed the window crank location in '78 with the new dash because your gonna be bustin your knuckles with the '70s style in an '80s style, its about a 1/2 from the dash. anyhow it's done and they work great, love power windows. [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by 86ed; August 31st 2009 12:37 am.
86ed #323351 August 31st 2009 8:45 pm
Phoenix Offline OP
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
I justused the big gromet in the door and body and a conduit between and no problems . Had a clean looking install and an very happy with mine....grin

Cheers!

[Linked Image]
Phoenix #323381 September 01st 2009 12:02 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
where that grommet is on the body of the '80s Dodge, the '70s Dodge your in the vent area. then you need to drill another hole to get under the dash area. just worried air or maybe even some water could drip down inside. i'll just have to put some sealer on that spot.

86ed #327036 September 17th 2009 7:58 pm
Phoenix Offline OP
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
I really think the sheet maybe has not changed from the 70's inside I went through the vent hole above the plastic inner trim

Cheers!

[Linked Image]
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 21 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530