Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Converting to Power windows on Phoenix
#313237 July 29th 2009 3:46 pm
Phoenix Offline OP
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
OK here goes New project Last winter I ordered a power window kit because the stupid guy that built the aluminum dash in Phoenix ( i am talking about me ) had the doors open all the time except when i found that the wing windows hit the top corner of the dashand would not open but a half inch and those of you who still have wing windows knows that is just enough to make a horrible whistling noise. SO being the metal worker that I am I made cut outs for the wings and they turned out really well and looked good. So feeling cockey like i just whiped a major problem I finished the dash and installed it but I forgot one thing open the main side windows...... the crank hit the dash ! So to open the windows last year we had to open the doors roll the windows down and shut the doors back. With all the a/c units it wasnt such a big problem until we pulled into an event and always someone wants to chit chat. S i am going to fix the problem now. Up dates and pix comming soon

Cheers!

Been There, done that, Member of those....

Built for comfort not for speed angel....Well speed too !...smile

I am a vanner, Promise me the world, give me nothing, I'll be back ... next year !
[Linked Image]
Re: Converting to Power windows on Phoenix
Phoenix #313391 July 29th 2009 10:02 pm
Phoenix Offline OP
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
Since the Van is turned around in the shop now and the side door and front doors are accessable now it's time to get some easy stuff done just to have a little vacation from the cleanup. When I brought the van back in the shop and opened the side door I realized that I had not hooked up the alternator...OOPS so after a small scramble I got that done. Didn't seem to have hurt anything so no worries ! [Linked Image]
So I got the wondow kit out and opened up the packages and sorting out the parts and getting tools ready.took off the door cover
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image] This Kit is made by Electric life available through Summit raceing or direct from the factory . I found this kit on sale just in time for a very good price. the lighted , billit switches and main harness were a little pricey but for what I saved it was still a good deal.
[Linked Image]
Joe (J&J )gave me a door kit left over from his street rod shop which gives a really clean look to the door opening so no wires are visible
[Linked Image]
Getting the regulators out was a piece of cake . I used a nail set , a skinny long punch after i looked inside the door and couldnt find a bolt head or anything resembling one . I just hit the bullseye with a punch and it moved. BANG ,BANG ,BANG, and one allen screw to remove the window crank handle and out came the regulator. I slid the new electric regulator up into the door and hooked the roller into the bottom of the window and got one 1/4-28 screw into one of the three holes where the rivets were and raised the wondow up by hand and the other two hole linedright up with their corresponding holes . That was easy Got one side mounted and started looking at the wireing ... more later

Cheers!

I am a vanner, Promise me the world, give me nothing, I'll be back ... next year !
[Linked Image]
Phoenix #313401 July 29th 2009 10:45 pm
Z
stranger
stranger
Z
Looks sweet, and keep the pics coming! I was thinking about some sweet power winders for my '83 chev.

Seriously WTF?
zambedave #313431 July 30th 2009 12:24 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
i put those in my '86 Dodge, love them. i went with different switches though. the directions for the passenger side were wrong for the wiring but i figured it out. hopefully they've fixed them since i got mine. [Linked Image]

Last edited by 86ed; July 30th 2009 12:28 am.
86ed #313706 July 30th 2009 5:08 pm
Phoenix Offline OP
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
Well after getting back on it today and looking at the switch situation and a phone call to A-1, The guys there were very helpful and were even interested enough to look up the 36th nats website and take a look at the van while he was talking to me.That was kind of cool. Anyhow after we talked I decided to swap switches the Billits were a flush mount and you have to do some screw driver work on the back of the switch to lock them in place, and on a Dodge door there is no room to do any such thing up high in the door. Besides the sawing of holes and posibility of some grinding or such just scared me off. So I have the most popular switches coming 2nd day air and they are the Joker switches just like 86ed had in the previous post. Surface mount and angled like the Auto Meter instrument pods. Should do just fine and save some heartache. I went back out and removed the manual regulator and mounted the new driver side regulator in no time Hooked a 12v power supply to both windows and they work perfect. Last night I did , while putting the new regulator in the passenger side door, put a little scratch in the window tint . The window has to be about half way down to engage the roller in the bottom track...oops We have to re-do the window tint anyway the Painter got overspray all over it on both doors. and he had the windows and gaskets off the door when he painted them.......
[Linked Image]

Cheers!

[Linked Image]
Phoenix #313714 July 30th 2009 5:21 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Originally Posted by Phoenix
the Painter got overspray all over it on both doors. and he had the windows and gaskets off the door when he painted them.......

Dang! That guy was a real hoser wasn't he! Had them out and *still* got paint on them!

Hope it's not too much trouble for you to clean up.

Clear skies!

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Ram4ever #313718 July 30th 2009 5:24 pm
Phoenix Offline OP
pooh-bah
OP Offline
pooh-bah
He probably had them over somewhere and didnt cover them up . It would not have been bad if he had the glass side up but he had the tint side up. I could have cleaned the glass..lol

Cheers!

[Linked Image]
Phoenix #313742 July 30th 2009 6:20 pm
Li'l Blue Wagon
Li'l Blue Wagon
Man, am I glad my 91 came with factory power windows. And now i have the dual drivers switch mounted in my overhead console, and wired to a constant 12 volts, so if it starts raining, and I don't have my keys handy, i can put windows up easily.

1991 Dodge RamVan 318 Shorty with 2 Gullwings.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2673850
1982 Dodge Ram Maxi 1 ton
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2940482
1986 Dodge RamVan shorty, with 318 and 4spd. STANDARD
[Linked Image]

Member of Rebelvanners Canada
Dodges 3 #313752 July 30th 2009 7:03 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Originally Posted by Dodges 3
...wired to a constant 12 volts, so if it starts raining, and I don't have my keys handy, i can put windows up easily.

That's a great idea! I wonder if I could incorporate that when (if...) I get brave enough to try moving the power stuff from the spare front doors I got... Then again if the doors actually fit, I might not have to gut them, but I sure like the console idea far better than the stock location! And constant hot sounds *awesome*...

Phoenix, was there any date cutoff issue with any of the replacement regulators you looked at, like pre or post 1994?

Clear skies!

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users