Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14
Re: How bout some ideas?
on the road #310933 July 22nd 2009 8:28 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Really I had to go back to page 1 and re read this whole thread before I say something worth while. and To some it may not measure up. But , I think If the question was about how Long (in days) the National truck-in should be? Personally I do not think The event should be any longer than it is. I think we started it on Wednesday at Altamont at the 26th. An it was the first five day Nats. (correct me I might be wrong)I really don't think it should be any longer, and starting on Thursday is Just as good. Do not burn out the crown jewel of vanning by overdoing it. Remember the old show buisiness saying .. "always leave'em wanting more".
As for two Nationals, A winter and summer , For the same reasons I think I would have to say No.
However the Idea has come up about some National Truck-in event sites that are exceptional and to have them on a rotational basis. This idea is worth hashing out the details on. I have been to some nationals ( and I do not profess to be an authority like some who have been to almost every one, But I have been to enough to speak on this) that should not have been at the sites that they were. So iI would not be opposed to leaving this subject open for serious discussion and voted on in the near future.I don't think I care how far I have to go to a National Truck-in half the fun is the trip. BUT the quality of the event site means alot. Besides a great crew that is informed to what is going on, Easy access, clean facility, easy access to shopping for things needed and Electric and water are nice. Not much to ask for "THE" National truck-in, a great responsibility for the people wanting to host it.

Last edited by Phoenix; July 23rd 2009 8:52 am.

Cheers!

Been There, done that, Member of those....

Built for comfort not for speed angel....Well speed too !...smile

I am a vanner, Promise me the world, give me nothing, I'll be back ... next year !
[Linked Image]
Phoenix #310935 July 22nd 2009 8:32 pm
veteran
veteran
PHOENIX,I SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS,GOOD CHOICE OF WORDS.

67Econo Guy #310967 July 22nd 2009 10:18 pm
Old Timer
Old Timer
Leave it the way it is.

Jim & Lucy Newkirk
1965 Chevy Bad Influence
1981 Chevy-the Love Shack
2012 Chevy Van , 2020 chevy van
2020 Chevy van Sapphire Sweet.
Club Vannerz.
vanninvanner@comcast.net
newkirkinc1 #311003 July 23rd 2009 2:44 am
addict
addict
As a newer vanner (4nats) I'm only thinking about the future.
When I mention that the nats should be a one week event, its because scheduling vacation time in a one block (mon-fri) period of time
is much more acceptable to employers.

What do some of the newer vanners think ?

Anthonyd28_GenNext #311014 July 23rd 2009 6:45 am
N
Supreme Master
Supreme Master
N
I've only been to 3 Nats ('05, '06, '09) and me personally am wiped out after 5 days, BUTT a week long Nats would be fine with me. I'd enjoy the Nats if it was 4 days, 5 days, or even a month! smile

Nate Breece
NateB #311023 July 23rd 2009 7:42 am

Vanner Extraordinaire

Vanner Extraordinaire
Both ideas have some merit, and we will discuss each of them at the Nats board meeting in Feb. Keep those ideas flowing! Remember, though, that things change slowly over time...

Howard
"Nickels and Dymes"
Midwest Vans Ltd.
Vanfest Staff
Ontario Federation of Vanners Rep since 1978
National Truck-In Board since 1986
First van event-a hall party...March, 1974...ain't been right since!!!!!

Suzie-BGfNY-IN #311039 July 23rd 2009 8:16 am
P.R. Wisconsin Van Council
Originally Posted by wookee
Lil Ed you are saying that if there was a location in the upper mid west and you knew where it was going to be your Cun or Council could not come up with enough members or bodys to help run a part of it?

.....Wookee

Thats not what I said, I said we couldnt host a Nationals in another state. Lets use Nats08 for example, I am the southern most person in Wisconsin and I am still 5 hours away from that fairgrounds. The preperations that need to be done before you can have a Nats we wouldnt ba able to do and in my opinion that is the hardest part. Helping while at the Nats inst an issue. Its the work that has to be done before that is the hard part.

Therfore We (being Wisconsin) could never HOST a Nationals in another state.

Originally Posted by Suzie-BGfNY-IN
hee hee I thought he was saying that WI is no where near IL!
I'm going to have and check my atlas!!!

When it comes to hosting a nats in the middle of Illinois it isnt close.

Originally Posted by Suzie-BGfNY-IN
And Lil Ed--I am not understanding your meaning of--'Just because the name of the host is different doesn't mean the actual hosts are different.'huh? In our case--it is a different group with different people at the top and then volunteers, some have worked a Nationals before, some have not; but everyone signed up understands that it takes a VANNING community to raise a Nationals!

If Wisconsin held another Nationals it would pretty much be the same people doing this time as last time. With the exeption of the few that are new. I meant the faces that are involved wouldnt be any different. Obviously that is not the case for NY.

[Linked Image]

Ed Lil' Ed Gray
Co-Chair 40th Van Nationals
President - County Line Vans
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/750547
www.wivancouncil.com
Anthonyd28_GenNext #311040 July 23rd 2009 8:25 am
Originally Posted by AnthonyD28_HighlandersVC

sat--12noon early arrivels allowed in
sun--early arrivals allowed in,say till 2pm after 2 vans line up at the gate

MON---nats offically open
Tues--junkyard tours etc.
wed--show and shine,light show
thur--trophy awards
fri---more partying,

sat--long distance vanners leave if they choose
sun--everyone leaves by 2pm

What about those people that cant take a week off, or can only get a couple of days off and need to use there weekend as additional time off. Thos people usually leave on Wednesday or Thursday, now they have missed basically the whole thing.

I like everything about the way Nats is now, and we shouldnt change any part of it.

Last edited by Lil_Ed; July 23rd 2009 8:26 am.

[Linked Image]

Ed Lil' Ed Gray
Co-Chair 40th Van Nationals
President - County Line Vans
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/750547
www.wivancouncil.com
Lil_Ed #311044 July 23rd 2009 8:57 am
Bad Girls from New York, Bad Western Inn in IN.
Bad Girls from New York, Bad Western Inn in IN.
As I have understood it for all these decades, the schedule for the Nats was laid out long, long ago and picked as the last 3 weeks in July because so many Vanner jobs had a summer shut-down around those weeks. Of course, this goes back to the early stages of our Vanning days and, yes, many of us have different jobs now, but as Vanners we stick with what we know. Change comes slowly for us usually!

I do not think that extra days will make a difference, we added Wednesday a few years ago, and I am still struggling to see/do everything I would like to at the Nats. And, even with opening the grounds early, for some reason I can't figure out totally, there is still a race to be the 'first'--in line, thru the unofficial/official gate, to get a spot, or whatever! My point is, I don't really see the pressure on the hosts being relieved any by a M-F Nats. And, in my opinion, when the eVANt is over, the hosts need a rest too--having Vanners still on the grounds does not afford that opportunity!

I am glad that we can have civil and intelligent discussion of this issue here. Great reading all!

Cherish your friends!
HUGGS to all!
Suzie
Page 7 of 14 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 13 14

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, on the road, Virtual 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod