[Linked Image]

AdSense long
Re: Unemployed Vanner Van Club
LostSheep #362349 February 15th 2010 6:36 pm
B
old hand
old hand
B
Read all 47 pages of this thread and its a real bummer. Lots of good people with good trade/employable skills put out of work because of the greed of others. Seems like its a revolving door for a lot of us.

I've been out of work since November, The construction industry is totally dead up here in VT. I worked for a 5 star, award winning, energy efficient home builder for 2 years. We won 3 awards for our high end work and innovativeness in October. By November the doors were locked. The company folded, guess nothing is guaranteed.

I've got a van full of tools collecting dust, not making dust and it kills me. No one wants to hire a 24 year old carpenter when there are 40 year old guys out there dropping their prices to "laborer" levels. Id drop my prices if I could but I've also got an education Im trying to pay off. Im trying to stay legit while other guys out there are doing stuff under that table for less then it costs me to roll out of bed everyday. I was just starting to build myself a reputation and the bottom fell out on me.

You get what you pay for, think of that before you hire that guy under the table! Best of luck to you all, is good to read when someone finds a new gig after months of fighting.

[Linked Image]

"Trendkiller" 1995 Chevy G20
"Southern Gentleman " 1978 Ford E150 Custom

Matt

8-0-2%

The Vanished of MA/VT
Bandvan #362394 February 15th 2010 10:19 pm
journeyman
journeyman
Bandvan, I'm the 40 year old guy with 23 years experience as a finish carpenter and I still can't find a job to save my life. Do yourself a favor while your still young and further your education. My bet would be the medical field. Even if some sort of universal health care ever does happen, you will have a steady job. Unfortunately being a craftsmen and working with your hands seems to be looked down upon nowadays. For some reason people feel because they partied for 4 years in college they deserve a desk job making a bazillion dollars and the guy who decided to pursue a skilled trade job is a dirtbag.

EagleFreek #362410 February 15th 2010 11:00 pm
B
old hand
old hand
B
Eagle, I have a 4 year bachelors degree in business/entrepreneurship (which i paid through the nose for). I could be one of those guys with a desk job, but I LOVE being outside building something tangible. Im a 3rd generation carpenter and really enjoy my job. I tried getting a desk job but they are just as scarce up here for a dude like me because, while I did well in school, I was no where near the top of the class, and in the world of business now, no one wants the average guy. So here I sit, college educated, 8 years construction experience, tons of energy and ideas, and no one is blowing up my phone. Keep your head up man I always look at it this way, people are always going to live in houses and they are always going to need repairs.

I like my money wrinkled, I know its been in the hands of a working man!

[Linked Image]

"Trendkiller" 1995 Chevy G20
"Southern Gentleman " 1978 Ford E150 Custom

Matt

8-0-2%

The Vanished of MA/VT
EagleFreek #362428 February 15th 2010 11:54 pm
addict
addict
You definitely got a point there.

I was surprised to find so many vanners out of work. I thought this thread would be 3 people.

I never could get a job even when nothing was against me.
Now with the multiple felonies of an ex-con (5 years out)it is all but impossible. You gotta know someone or get lucky.

I bought and sold on ebay for a couple years and got by with what amounted to a part time job. The economy (or fear thereof) put a damper on that.

I said screw this, I'm going to follow my wild crazy dream and went to college. Best damn decision I ever made.I get to be broke and have no time together but its worth it. A little easier with not many bills and free housing with a friend.

This may be an option for some. I see too many trying to do the same kind of work. But a look at life shows things that adapt survive and things that do not stagnate and die.
Might sound harsh but so is the real world.

Best wishes and prayers for everyone.

Dyllan1975 #364956 February 25th 2010 11:41 am
carpal tunnel
carpal tunnel
The Whirlpool Corp. is closing a refrigerator manufacturing plant in Evansville, Ind., putting more than 1,100 people out of work. Even worse, Whirlpool will continue to produce these refrigerators, but not in Evansville and not anywhere else in America. They are planning to manufacture them in Mexico, where weaker labor and environmental laws make them “cheaper” for Whirlpool to produce.

This is outrageous and unacceptable, especially in light of Whirlpool’s profitability and the $19 million dollars in economic recovery money Whirlpool recently received from the federal government as a part of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act. Those are OUR economic recovery funds, not Mexico’s.

I know where my next refrigerator's NOT coming from!

Last edited by CatFish; February 25th 2010 11:51 am.
Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! #365030 February 25th 2010 4:21 pm
Vanner
OP Offline
Vanner
Originally Posted by Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!!
With the current economy, I am hearing about many vanner's who lost their jobs and are looking for work, including me (maybe lol).

So here is a Forum to tell everyone where you are, what you can do , and if and where you can relocate.

Please keep this serious as a benefit to our members. I would ask the Moderators and Admins to keep the thread clear of clutter. If you know of positions that will benefit the posters here, please advise them by PM.

I will start it off.

Position sought. General Manager, Transport Fleet, Warehouse and Distribution Operations. Facility Security, Maintenance and construction.

Where I am located . In Vannerland, North America

Where will I relocate to . Worldwide !

Lets try and get this thread back on track..........

I don't need to be honoured by Vanning, I am honoured to be Vanning !
Supporting Vanning, by going Vanning In A Van !
I hate it, when real life interferes with Vanning !
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
I.B.O.B.
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers
Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! #366211 March 01st 2010 8:30 pm
Vanner
OP Offline
Vanner
Ok, how many of you that are unemployed, soon to be unemployed or wish to be unemployed are looking around for options ??

I am in the middle of a four week contract assessing a program called the Experienced Workers Program, designed specifically for job seekers over 40. This program is slated to end July 31, 10 despite a success rate of 30 % higher than all other programs combined... Supporters of the program have three undercover people in these programs in a bid to continue it.... This program teaches a lot about the current job market and how mature individuals are being sought after in the hidden job market......and how to turn all your perceived negatives into positives...

I will give out all the general information transferable to other areas of the US and Canada....Here, in the next couple of weeks....I will even consider a web cast meeting of the Vanner unemployed.....

I encourage all, to look around through Province/State agencies as well as Federal for these types of programs, including re-education......

In Ontario we have 3 separate agencies looking after these programs, and unbeknown to me, all within walking distance of my residence....

So take an hour off vanning.com and have a look around each day.....

Monster.com is apparently the best known in the world, not just in North America....and with this world economy, and foreign control of corporations here, yow want to place a properly prepared resume on the right sites....

Example, one of our recent attendee's had 13 views of his own resume he thought was good...During the program, he placed his new resume on Monster.com, and had 600 hits in three weeks, and a new job here in Burlington, owned by a Danish company......and all this in three weeks.....after 14 months out of work......

Successful graduates bring in donuts and their success story after they are hired......me, I will accept beer instead smile cheers

I don't need to be honoured by Vanning, I am honoured to be Vanning !
Supporting Vanning, by going Vanning In A Van !
I hate it, when real life interferes with Vanning !
Van Clan Plus One, Vanning since 1977 !
Ontario Federation Of Truckers (Vanner's)
Ottawa Valley Vans
I.B.O.B.
Founder,Mixed Bag Truckers
Doc 2% of Canada, EH!!!! #366252 March 01st 2010 9:47 pm
journeyman
journeyman
Unemployed here, but I have gone back to school and own a vinyl graphics company. It is bad right now but gives me more time to tinker with old yellow

66' G10
99' B1500
Page 53 of 76 1 2 51 52 53 54 55 75 76

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members