Rate Thread
Page 5 of 76 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 75 76
Re: Unemployed Vanner Van Club
GreyBeardsGhost #259942 February 02nd 2009 8:03 pm
C
old hand
old hand
C
Hi to all Sorry to here about Fizz, well see you in Mo. in May, Suzzie I can use help here with this mess I call a appt , BUT I do ot pay maileage . Love you, all ways have
always well. Charley

[Linked Image]

Don't let it be forgot that once
there was a spot for one brief
shining moment that was know
as Camelot
AdSense long
Charley Olenak #261004 February 07th 2009 2:50 pm
addict
addict
I know I've learned one thing since I've been laid off.Who my friends are...seems seeing how I'm not making good money now not alot of my "so called" friends call me any more.See if I around when they need me.

1964 Chevy van G10

Member V.C.V.C
Member North East Chevy/GMC truck club
Member Narragansett Van and Panel truck

ronnierat #261034 February 07th 2009 6:08 pm

Vanner Extraordinaire

Vanner Extraordinaire
When the van shop closed, I started driving for a courier sevice. I am an independent contractor, so no employee benefits, but we are members of NICA, an association of Independent couriers, and they offer insurance and quarterly tax escrow. Anyhow, there is plenty of work, if you want to work, pretty much unlimited hours, 7 days a week. We are extremely busy. Being o commission has its moments, but I ended January making 35% more than my monthly average for 2008. It's a lot of driving, but that's OK. The deliveries can be done in a car or whatever, so you don't need to beat up your vanning van. They have affiliates all over the country...here's a link to their phone number http://www.mynica.com/relocate.html

Last edited by on the road; February 07th 2009 6:14 pm.

Howard
"Nickels and Dymes"
Midwest Vans Ltd.
Vanfest Staff
Ontario Federation of Vanners Rep since 1978
National Truck-In Board since 1986
First van event-a hall party...March, 1974...ain't been right since!!!!!

on the road #261075 February 07th 2009 11:26 pm
Q
veteran
veteran
Q
Network... Network... Network...

I encourage you to Network with everyone you know.

The best way to get a job is via someone who has an opening where they work. They know you... they can go to bat for you.

This is where you make the contacts... you do want a job... you do want to eat and keep the roof over your head. So now start making contacts.

You need a vehicle to track who you contacted, when and what was said... I cant remember all the people I talked to yesterday let alone a week ago...

What I found worked for me in the past was:
I created a computer text file to track all my job related stuff...
- Contacts... Name Phone Address
- Web sites... Monster etc. list all the web sites and track your visits... what you found... what you did...
- Contact with contacts.... by contact (so you can see when you spoke and what was said. And most importantly - so you can follow up.)
Example:
. Jan 1 09' - Spoke w/ so and so 1... Told them I am out... I am seeking... Anything ... nothing... what can you do for me... know of anything... keep me in mind... dont be a stranger... Can I send you a resume? Look it over and give me suggestions... Can you forward my resume... Can you ask around for me?
. Jan 14 09 - Spoke w/ so and so 1 again... told them I am still looking... anything ... any suggestions... I need a job... really appreciate anything you can do to help.
Last time we spoke you mention maybe talking to bla bla bla did that go anywhere? Dont press but dont sit back... be interested...
. So this goes on and on... track each contact and conversation so you know where it went... you can follow up. email also...
Dont call on them every minute...every day... use discretion. Chase the leads... Some you call upon more often than others... some you let go 2 weeks... Dont let lead go... If they think they have something, try to get them to commit to calling you back... If you dont hear back you need to call them... and thank them.
. ACTION... Identify action items in RED so they stick out. Make sure you take action and close out the item. Action: Keith needs a resume for CEO position by noon.
Completed: Sent email and resume to Keith 1/1/09.
Next Steps: bla bla bla

- I was surprised at how many people I had contacted and how many conversation I had going on. There is no way to remember all this... Not every one is going to click. You just need 1 job.
- I tracked every resume I sent.
- I tracked every job I was interested in.
- I had a resume collection... You tailor your resume to fit the job description...
- You suck it up and state your case. Remember you need the job so you must take the steps. You must make the contact. You must keep the contact going. Be professional and dont complain... be friendly...

- Create a calendar and schedule appointments/phone calls ect. Make the next time you are to call someone. Mark when you last called. do this one for example:
Jan 2: spoke w/ ken xyz
Jan 10: Need to call ken xyz.
Last spoke Jan 2.
Track the conversation in the text file also.
It becomes a management game.

In between calling everyone you know and looking... brush up on your skills. Go and brush you teeth. Go to the book store and read how to get a job book. Find what more you can do. There is no idle time to delay. There is always something you can do.

Call those people you havent spoken to in years but work with or did work with. They may not have a job for you today but when one comes up they may plug for you.

With each action, you increase your probability of getting a job. It is like tossing darts... Throw one and hit a bullseye... throw a hundred and hit a bullseye... Which is better.

Then just like a dart throw. You adjust as you go... a little higher... a little lower... a little harder.

Hang in there. But take action... Getting a job is a full time job with overtime... the pay sucks...

2014 and no more Econolines made... market blunder. The last new 2014 econoline to go to a vanner - DEADLAST
How many mid ford vans can 1 man own? Don't ask stupid questions...
My chopped mid ford will be painted black till they make a darker color.
Grind to Grind... Hot metal will abound the land... IceAge II 'The MeltDown'
My 3D printer will produce a life size 1969 mid ford in 2031... Wait and see...
quiet1 #261276 February 09th 2009 1:03 am
Bad Girls from New York, Bad Western Inn in IN.
Thanks for all the tips John!
I do have a question--if you put in an application and do not get an interview, is it appropriate to ask why? Or even if you do get an interview and they go with someone else can you ask why?
It may help on the next one--

I put in an app 2 weeks ago, called back 4 days later to check on progress--we had a big storm at that time and she said to give her another week to get back to me--waited one week--called the next day--left 2 messages-one in the morning, one late in the day. I am going to call again tomorrow, but I'm not too positive--
This is a position that would not go unfilled for long, because of the demanding nature of the job.

Just wondering!
Suzie

Last edited by Suzie-BGfNY-IN; February 09th 2009 1:05 am.

Cherish your friends!
HUGGS to all!
Suzie
Suzie-BGfNY-IN #261312 February 09th 2009 8:07 am
addict
addict
Good questions Suzie. Can you ask WHY?I went to one interview and was even told to come in and sign a proposal for the postion and then they turned around and said they were going to interview more poeple.I thought I had this job.I want to know what happend.

1964 Chevy van G10

Member V.C.V.C
Member North East Chevy/GMC truck club
Member Narragansett Van and Panel truck

ronnierat #261360 February 09th 2009 11:40 am
Q
veteran
veteran
Q
Suzie
Regarding ask why no interview...
I would probably not ask...
The answer is you were not a match or they didnt even get to you. too many applications to respond to. too much time/cost. If 3000 apply for a position, you would not spend a month reading each and every one... Your doing a grab and toss while scanning 1st 3 lines and whole resume looking for key words. Funny that you spend all that time and in a minute a person goes thru 20 resumes... I have seen it done. They may just grab a bunch in that 3000 and eventually toss the rest.... In that bunch there is probably a person they would be happy with. Or they go back to grab a second bunch. Number they look at depends on the job/pay and how specific the skill set is that they seek. It is easy to look at 300 and come up with a few condidates.
When I looked at resumes, I had a yellow marker to highlite the key words that matched. These made it to the second round. Remember I am looking for a match.
Over qualified got tossed... They would not be happy was what was taught in interviewing class and MATCH is the word.
YOUR RESUME NEEDS TO BE TAILORED TO JOB DESCRIPTION. KEY POINT.

If your not getting interviews, there is something wrong with your resume or too many applications... Ask those around you who can give value... they may give so pointers.
Resume get you the interview...

Regarding Interview and no job offer... Can you ask?
I dont think the person would ever answer. There are so many variables. Law suit issues???
I dont know... The answer is that they have what they perceive to be a better match. Period...
Most times this decision is not up to just 1 person...
I was part of an interview team that I got to give my 2 cents.
Note interviewing was not my job... It was just a piece.
But I was involved in over 300 interviews...

You may be looking for something wrong when your just not the ideal candidate.
You have to be your own judge... Your friends want to stay your friends so they may not be honest. The key is to make yourself the best match. Look your best. do your best.
You have to be fun and energetic. People dont want that person who is angry and has attitude... Dont go in telling them how to do their job. You would be surprised at the crap people say... Most shot themselves in the foot...

Regarding ronnierat... you have nothing till the offer is presented. more interviews is just part of the process as is signing papers... What happened is you were not their match. sorry.. but it is usually just that. Is it presentation? Is it body language? Ask your loved ones.

I got called 4 months after an interview and was offered the job at that time... 4 months... and the pay was less than I thought I was worth. I did take the job... It was a good decision.

One thing that we were taught was that we are selling the company, we want you to be happy. Hard to believe, but we are wanting you...

Interviews are funny... I had 1 fellow interview for a sys admin computer position. He was really qualified school and experience... He was a nervous wreck. I opened with my first question telling him that his interview would continue depending on how correctly he answered the first question. (I could see him sweat). I said it was a pretty technical question and to take a few seconds and respond. I asked if he was a jet or giant fan as serious as I could be.
He smiled... gave words to the possibilities in each direction then gave his answer. he laughed a bit... I then went on to the 2nd question job related. He asked if he was right. I said we will just continue with the interview (never answering). It took the edge off the interview (my goal)and he chilled out and was a great employee. It was his though processing that was impressive in the interview.

I had a girl who answer EVERY question wrong on a 15 minute technical interview... She was 4.0 student and had work experience in the field but not alot of experience in the specific language we worked in. We discussed the right answers and why they were... She said to me at the end of the interview 'I did really bad not getting any answer right'. I said I was recommending her for the position. She was kind of shocked and asked why. I stated that in discussing technical issues she grew... offered insight and contributed to the understanding and got it... I thought she was fine cause she adapted and learned quickly. I convinced the 4 other interviews to hire her even though they said What? Why? They were glad they did... she was another great success story...

How do you pick when all 4 are great? I dont know... it is gut feel.

One last one...
I get a resume... great candidate... great education... great work history... buzz words match... Bombed the interview... knew the buzz words and that was it... didnt bring much to the table... I just could see myself working with this person... I saw talk no action... NO MATCH... I voted no... funny we mostly all saw the same NO.

Did these examples help? Be real... Be honest. Be friendly... Go read how to interview book...

Interview gets you the job or removes you from the running... you knew that?

I always tried to be fair as an interviewer to all candidates. Someone usually just sticks out better... As opposed to someone being a disaster.
So it really is what another did right as opposed to what you did wrong.

2014 and no more Econolines made... market blunder. The last new 2014 econoline to go to a vanner - DEADLAST
How many mid ford vans can 1 man own? Don't ask stupid questions...
My chopped mid ford will be painted black till they make a darker color.
Grind to Grind... Hot metal will abound the land... IceAge II 'The MeltDown'
My 3D printer will produce a life size 1969 mid ford in 2031... Wait and see...
quiet1 #261376 February 09th 2009 12:08 pm
Keeper of the Stories
Keeper of the Stories
I'm very sorry to hear that anyone is unemployed and some times I feel guilty that my vocation has so much work but that is what happens in EMS (Emergency Medical Services)when the economy is in the crapper.

As an Emt I've found over the years that, The more people that are unemployed the more drinking accidents and calls for suicidal folks and those who need to be transported for mental issues, all kinds of ressession linked calls come in.

I hate to see anyone in pain and if I find a patient that has any skills that can be utilized in a hospital setting I'll recomend them to HR at the Hospitals we deliver too.

I ran into a 20ish male Patient that was over drinking because he was laid off and couldn't find work and was depressed, on the way too the hospital I learned that he was a tree worker with plowing experiance, I asked my Boss who we use to plow and he said some kid that shows up only half the time.

I convinved the Boss too try my patient and he did for two storms and now he is our full time guy to keep the ambulance bays clear of snow and ice.

I always tell my patients if they can't find a job in their feild too try things that interest them or that they enjoy doing as hobbies and too take a chance outside of their comfort zone to find work.

I've had half a dozen former patients come back and say thanks and let me know how they were doing, it leaves me with a good feeling.

The moral of this post is...look beyound the normal and your chances may improve!

Proud to be Native American!
Native Son #261386 February 09th 2009 12:32 pm
Geez--so the fact that I am able to do the CDM job and willing put in as the assistant could put them off! I knew it was the assistant position when I applied and if I didn't want to do that job I would not have applied for it!

Yet, I have had a few that wanted me to start there as a prep cook--sorry no, way overqualified for that job!

I have a good resume, know what I am talking about without key words, always dress professionally and act respectful for an interview. Seems to me I am either under/over qualified and that might be the Achille's heel here.

Don't worry John--your advise has not gone unnoticed and I am sure it is helping!

Suzie

Cherish your friends!
HUGGS to all!
Suzie
Page 5 of 76 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 75 76

Moderated by  Astro 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 10 guests, and 10 robots.