Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Dash removal/A.C. install
Ram4ever #246501 December 08th 2008 3:41 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Say, Reed, it just occurred to me - if you're going to be working in the area where the heater airbox is, I'm dying for a picture back through the fresh/recirculate door opening towards the door post. I've got some sort of a water leak from what I think must be a panel seal in there, (my passenger side rocker actually filled up with water!!! [Linked Image] ) and without knowing what's down there, I can't make effective plans to fix it. I'll be pulling my aircon eventually, (maybe late spring) but if I can fix it before that, I'd be thrilled.

Clear skies!

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

It's what you learn after you know it all, that counts...

Are you living to work, or working to live?

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Ram4ever #246502 December 08th 2008 3:53 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Oh crap, I screwed up Reed - I just reread your post and realized you actually meant the metal portion of the dash instead of the actual vent. All the ones I've ever seen were all one large piece, with the screws at the ends and center braces, and along the windshield like Nate & Phoenix said. I'd pull the windshield to avoid miserable working conditions. I've never done it yet, but one of my friends has and says it's actually really easy with a helper.

Clear skies

-It's been such a LONG TIME... BlueShift>> 1981 Dodge Ram B250 Custom Sportsman Maxi Van

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Learning from my own mistakes is good, learning from yours would be much better! [Linked Image]
Ram4ever #246503 December 08th 2008 3:55 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Here's a picture of a dash I shredded to get the defrost vents out.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ram4ever #246537 December 08th 2008 10:09 am
old hand
old hand
Reed,naw the dash is one piece.Ram4ever,your factory pic #24-65 above shows a hole through inner fender and I cann't remember if there is a gasket betwix the box and mounting area.I'll be checking my stash of AC stuff for Reed and I'll look for evidence of a gasket there.I'm thinking you need to clean out the drain holes at bottom of fender.Water and all sorta junk can enter from cowl/wiper area and it drains to bottom of fender.

79 B300 4x4,80 B100,83 B150.If it's not a van I just don't understand it.
SixShot #246566 December 08th 2008 12:24 pm
Reed Offline OP
Maniac
OP Offline
Maniac
Thanks guys!

Ram4ever- If I do this project I will take lots of pictures.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!
Reed #247480 December 11th 2008 2:57 pm
Li'l Blue Wagon
Li'l Blue Wagon
Hey Reed, if ya need any pics of the dash uninstalled, just ask. I still have the dash outa my 89. I want to use it, sorta to create a new custom dash for my 91. If you check my thread about the making of a van trailer, there might be some useful pics in there. Or I can find them in my photobucket.

1991 Dodge RamVan 318 Shorty with 2 Gullwings.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2673850
1982 Dodge Ram Maxi 1 ton
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2940482
1986 Dodge RamVan shorty, with 318 and 4spd. STANDARD
[Linked Image]

Member of Rebelvanners Canada
SixShot #247773 December 13th 2008 3:53 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
SixShot - I think the hole you're asking about is the fresh air/recirculate door. The doors I've played with haven't been in great shape, but they seem to have some about 1/8" thick foam on them. I think it's just for insulation purposes... the top plate of the blower housing has it too. The doors are still available as an OEM part - #5061161AA

There is a seal between the blower housing and the cowl (inner fender) it's part #2911162. There's also a seal between the blower housing and the firewall, part #4114096. The seal between the A/C evaporator box and the firewall is #4114051.
I actually bought several of these seals a few months back. There was nothing about them that a trip to Home Depot or Lowes couldn't provide less expensively.

I took this picture of a recirculate door at the boneyard:

[Linked Image]

Another vanner sent me this one about a year ago. Sorry I don't remember who to credit anymore, but he was super helpful!

[Linked Image]

Hope that helps.

Clear skies!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ram4ever #247774 December 13th 2008 4:03 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
What SixShot said about cleaning out the drains is a serious matter. Here's what I ran into. This was just from the driver's side!

[Linked Image]

Here's how I got it out:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

And even after that, I ran a garden hose down there and washed more stuff out!

Clear skies!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Ram4ever #247775 December 13th 2008 4:32 am
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Imagine me, a portable generator, and an angle grinder on the loose in a junkyard. -Woo-hoo!!!

I finally got some answers as to just what's in between the cowl and the door post, and since you're awesome Reed, you'll be the first to see my pictures!

I cut through the passenger side wheel arch past the base of the door jam and door post, from the fender into the engine and passenger compartments.

Forward view:

[Linked Image]
That's the bottom of the blower housing on the left.

Straight up view. Note the recirculate door opening on the left:
[Linked Image]
it looks to me like there is seam sealer between the door jam panel and the firewall.

I believe the flanged rib is intended to break up the flow of water down from the wiper cowl, so that water doesn't get sucked into the blower housing through the recirculate door.

Rear view. That's the door jam at the back:
[Linked Image]

A lower rear view; please note the trespassing leaf litter. I wondered what was making all the smoke when I ground through the wheel arch!

[Linked Image]

The reason the bent down piece of metal to the left was so rusty, is that it was the inside bottom surface of the cowl, right where all the leaves and debris land and soak up moisture.

Definitely a good place to apply seam sealer and paint while it's accessible during your upgrade.

Clear skies!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1, Ram4ever 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 30 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users