Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Vanner helping Harricane victoms
#24079 October 07th 2005 10:54 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
We need a direct person to person donation setup, I fear corruption is afoot with the organizations designed for aid. I've heard much of the clothing donations were rerouted into overseas sale, many don't know American's used clothing is big business.
I've gotten rid of a bunch of good clothes that could have benefitted someone in need over here, I can only hope it did, but now I wish I had someone directly to send stuff to. Being below poverty level, I can't do much, but I get my hands on stuff all the time that could help someone, can't afford to ship stuff, that's why I donate it.
I found from someone working for human resources here, there are many of the hurricane survivors who aren't willing to work, they just want a hand out, we had enough of those here before, now we're in deep.

AdSense long
#24080 October 08th 2005 12:55 am
W
wookee Offline OP
carpal tunnel
OP Offline
carpal tunnel
W
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by maples01:
<strong> We need a direct person to person donation setup, I fear corruption is afoot with the organizations designed for aid.</strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Maples,we have three different families in New Orleans that we are trying to help out.
there are pictures on this post from Vintage Chevy Van Club's board

http://www.vcvc.org/threads/Forum1/HTML/003362.html

I have adresses for the families so every thing goes directly to them.I will gladly E Mail you there adresses.In times like these even somthing as small as a 10 dollar gift certifacate from Wal Mart can come in handy..........Wookee

#24081 October 08th 2005 11:34 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
I wish I could, but with the gas crunch and the food bank not getting much for hand outs, I'm over a barrel, don't look good for me. If everything is to go up as they say, I'm not sure how we are going to make it, I have cut back to not leaving the house and visiting family, saving fuel for necessary trips and it still zaps all of my money after paying my bills, leaving no extra for necessities. I just got paid the 3rd, I always depressed shortly after when I notice it almost gone.
I can't see how anyone who has lost can come back, the oil companies will help drive up the cost of goods and services, not to forget the shipping problems on the Miss.

#24082 October 12th 2005 11:11 pm
Retired
Retired
Another chance to help out. Tuna - a member of our club here in RI - has a brother and family in Mississippi that lost a lot. Tuna took his camper down there a few weeks ago so they would have a place to stay.

Some local friends of his brother's are holding a benefit this Sunday, Oct 23, at:

Johnny Mac's Sports Bar, Pine and Dunham Sts. Attleboro, Mass., from 4-8 p.m. There will be live entertainment and raffles. Donations will be $10.00. Tickets will be available at the door.

I know many will be at Frostbite in NH for the weekend, but maybe you can stop by on your way home.

Vanners - doing for others because that is what we do!

#24083 October 15th 2005 1:07 am
W
wookee Offline OP
carpal tunnel
OP Offline
carpal tunnel
W
we finally heard from our member ar V.C.V.C Gregg.His house was a couple of blocks from were the leve broke......
Hey guys,
First, let me thank everyone for the care package of clothes and the HD gift certificates. Also thanks to DW. Well, this has been one crappy 6 weeks. What Smiley said about my neighborhood is true. It cannot be described in words alone. Very much reminds me of Tombstone Arizona, like in the Old West movies, mud and dirt everywhere with not sounds and an occasional dust devil blowing down the street. My 1st day back was a total shock, there was not color to the area, just tan and a blue sky. All the trees are dead, as well as the grass and the shrubs. I have been back twice and am going back for the last time Saturday morning.
I had the van towed to my Mom's gutted out house in Slidell. I removed the complete interior and powerwashed the inside and underneath. When I opened the doghouse, it was solid, straight across with sticks, leaves, twigs, and pine needles. Pretty much starting over again. The Nova, I gave to a friend/drag racer. He is a body and paint guy too and said that he will name the car, "Katrina's Revenge". State Farm paid me off on them both at an appraised value. I bought a travel trailer in north Louisiana and brought it down here to live in until I can get settled with FEMA. Then I will need to find a town to live in. Slidell and Baton Rouge have almost doubled in size since the storm. Anyway, I am at the Slidell library and can stay on long, but just wanted to thank everyone and let you all know that I am alive and getting by. I will try to get back on in a few days, if possible. My cell number is 504-491-2373. Call after 9:00pm unless you have Cingular, then anytime. Later on guys, miss you all.
greg
...........Wookee

<small>[ October 15, 2005, 01:08 AM: Message edited by: wookee ]</small>

#24084 November 02nd 2005 1:03 am
W
wookee Offline OP
carpal tunnel
OP Offline
carpal tunnel
W
just another update......

Doing ok on clothes. Got another care package of clothes today from a VCVC member, thanks. What we need is for FEMA to okay permits to rebuild or repair. The only reconstruction goig on right now is where people are paying out of their own pockets. A few people have gotten their insurance monies, but they are also waiting on permits, which they are not issuing. It's a big mess. Glad to be back on the air with everyone. If anything good has come out of this, a lady at work found out that I had had 5 VW Bugs in the past and offered me her 1979 VW for free. She told me that it had gotten like a foot and a half of water in it and I figured that would not be a problem. I went to look at it Saturday and turns out it is a VW Beetle convertible in very good shape. It was her daily driver. So looks like I am back to a 3 car family again. Hope to go pick it up ths week. Anyway I have a lot of catch-up reading to do on the site. Oh yeah, bought some new tools at Home Depot with the gift cards you guys sent me. Thanks so much, all my tools got ruined in the salt water for 3 weeks
greg

Thanks to Ken and Debby for sendind Gregs family there extra clothing.The good harts of vanners never cease to amaze me........Wookee

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 14 guests, and 8 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users
Top Posters (30 Days)
SDMickey 129
frscke1 28
CatFish 25
Wedgy 21
Forum Statistics
Forums68
Topics35,746