Vanner helping Harricane victoms
#24052 September 04th 2005 12:59 am
W
wookee Offline OP
carpal tunnel
OP Offline
carpal tunnel
W
Ok I like every body else have been glued to the TV for the last 5 days.Watching the tragic events unfold on the Gulf Coast.this email has got me thinking................

Just trying to relay info to yall up North. Go to www.jojamela.us , This is my friends' Mom and Dad's Site. ON it you will see the devastation on the marina where they lived. They are currently residing in BR along with the rest of New Orleans and Jefferson Parish. Baton Rouge has now become their home - There are no words to express how blessed we feel that we were not hit - unfortunately though BR has now become a place that we don't want to be - Thousands of poeple are now living here - gas is scarce - electricity is scarce - food is scarce- shelter is scarce. There is not even one hotel room or apartment left - we are overcrowded and understaffed. Our crime rate is expected to go up 4 points - we sit in traffic for hours at a time just to go down the street - chaos has started. I am asking all Northerners to please pray for us - pray for patience, pray for sound minds, pray for our life, as we knew it. I am counting on all of you!!!! Please tell everyone that we need help, people have lost everything - they have nowhere to go - they can't even cry with their families because they don't know where they are. I could go on and on about how some towns are being called dead zones b/c there is no way to communicate with them, that a hospital in NO is w/o electricity, w/o toilets, w/o air - there are over 500 patients there - try to imagine this - nowhere to go, trapped in a drowned town covered in sewage and gases, inside a hospital with no ventilation, no air, no feeling of hope- the only thing filling your stomach is the stagnant smell floating through the air. I hope this leaves you in awe - that is where we are at right now - in awe. I am sorry I have not been able to contact you all - cell phones are out and we just got our electicity back - others are not faring as well as I. Please now that I am safe and well, my only fear being what lies ahead in this crowded city.
Love Katie

I want to help.I have a couple of ideas.This disaster is bigger than the media can even comprahend.This is going to take the American people to stand together like we never have before
no Demacrats no republicans,no blacks no whites.Just people willing to help standing side by side helping there fellow man.
From donating to the red cross to volenteering time at a food shelter. Or in a parking lot collecting food and loading it into a box trailer.I dont mean just throwing money at this problem but like the people in texas are showing they are tasking care of the people that show up there and need help.
Vintage Chevy van Club had tree members that live in New orleans that made it though Ok. I got an email tonight from Katie from Baton Rouge and sha sounds scared.Baton Rouge is not a very big town to begin with.Towns used to panic when vanners just stopped buy for a freindly vist. I can just imagine having thousands of hungry sick people decend on your town what a tiz it can throw those people in.It is mind boggeling just thinking about the logistics of it
I was thinking we as vanner could pick a shelter lets say in Baton Rouge and show up with a convoy of vans full of stuff. What ever we can get out hands on or collect along the way.Pick a shelter and deliver the stuff,help pass it out if they need us to or drop it off and come back and get another load.Don't stop untill they ether tell us to quit or we can not help in any way.
some of us might only be able to make one run.Some might be able to make a couple.Some might not be able to afford the gas but might know some one that can collect stuff to be picked up. Some body can come and pick it up.
these people need every thing we take for ganted,easly stuff like baby wipes,diapers,stuff that there is plenty of around here but hard to come by for a while down there.After that they will need people to help rebuild down there.Even then they will need stuff from bodies to work. or supplies.There are thousands of little kids that will need school suplies.
The first convoy could a trip to see what we can do to help.What can we bring to them? Right now showing up at a shelter with bacic hygnes stuff like soap deoderanttooth brushed, cans of soup.Stuff that they can use and will not turn away.On the way back can we drop people that do not have rides off at there families.
This is a dynamic problen that is going to be changing from week to week.The Cream will rise to the top the good in people will come out like you have never seen before....................Wookee

<small>[ September 04, 2005, 01:07 AM: Message edited by: wookee ]</small>

AdSense long
Re: Vanner helping Harricane victoms
#24053 September 04th 2005 1:40 am
old hand
old hand
I For one past up this Labor Day weekend AT Butler And Donated the $300.00 I would have spent to do the RUNto the RED CROSS They Need it more then I Need to go to a RUN. I will Be at Keystone.

I may complain about the cost of gas and all but When you see what others don't have you find a way to give So I am spending my weekend doing what I can for the South.

Chris

#24054 September 04th 2005 7:16 am
Blendor Of Fine Schnapps
Blendor Of Fine Schnapps
i too donated to the red cross to help out those in louisiana and missippi

#24055 September 04th 2005 10:36 am
Bad Girls from New York, Bad Western Inn in IN.
Steve went to Lowe's yesterday to buy a new door for the garage and they are accepting donations for the Katrina devastation. He made a sizeable donation and then was told that Lowe's is matching 50 cents on every dollar collected for the victims. It would be very helpful to find businesses that are doing this in order to raise as much money as possible to help these poor people. Should we make another donation it will be one where our dollars go the furthest.

Buddy, is that our Katie in BR?
I've been sending lots of hugs and thoughts to her--and Kathy and Dennis too!
Suzie

#24056 September 04th 2005 11:06 am
It is our Katie! I've got Mom on the phone right now and she sends her love to you Katie--if you need to get word out to her please e-mail me and I'll help you out. I don't know what else we can do for you, but just letting us all know what is going on helps those that are worried about people.

Our hearts are with you--lots of love!
Suzie

#24057 September 04th 2005 11:12 am
Oh yeah--I forgot--
Mom wants you to know that Aunt Kathy and Dennis are fine--not sure where they are--maybe in Amit at Dennis' parents--just want you to know!

#24058 September 04th 2005 1:09 pm
W
wookee Offline OP
carpal tunnel
OP Offline
carpal tunnel
W
I had herd today Baton Rouge had a population of 350,000 people.Compared to towns around here that is a pretty small town.
We are donating to Habitat for the Humanity.Alot of the houses that you see under water in new Orleans will need to be replaced.Along with the ones that were flattend along the coast.Fema helps but they really do not provide the suffecent funds to replace a destroyed house.There were allot of poor people in New Orleans that could not afford the proper insurance.All they had were there homes.

Another Idea would be a charity van show.The entry fee could be supplies/food.Along with collecting stuff fron the public.

Here is another email I have receved

Dear Friends,

I personally spoke with the Governor’s office in Louisiana today---they told me people are dying from lack of diabetic supplies---help me do what I need to do to help those in need----I ask you to send this to anyone you know---post it wherever you can. I was so emotional after that call. We are contacting all news media and Howard is behind the effort 1000%. It was said in the saddest day in our history by a man who wanted to overcome the impossible---I repeat it as a call to action so it becomes a call to help…….”Let’s Roll”

Pass this around. Post it. Print it.

With Love,

--Tom

Tom Karlya

Vice President Development

Executive Producer

dLife – FOR YOUR DIABETES LIFE
A LifeMed Media Company

101 Franklin Street

Westport, CT 06880

www.dLife.com

203.221.3453-Direct line

Fax: 203-454-6986

karlya@dLife.com

Being Diabetic my self this one hit close to home......Wookee

#24059 September 04th 2005 1:35 pm
old hand
old hand
Just To let everyone know Lots of employers will match what you donate Wife works for Verizon and they matched the 300 we donated.

SO CHECK WITH YOUR JOB THEY MAY MATCH 50 100 OR 150 PERCENT.

VANNERS we NEED TO GIVE MORE THEN 2%

Chris

#24060 September 08th 2005 11:49 am
W
wookee Offline OP
carpal tunnel
OP Offline
carpal tunnel
W
I can put a face to the people in need on the gulf coast.A member over at the vcvc.org site lives in New Orleans his house was four blocks from were the leve broke.He lost his house his 65 Chevy van and a rust free 70 Nova and possibly both of his cats.He is living in Shevesport La with his aunt and 14 other family members.His nice is also staying there she has three children the youngest is three years old

Leadfoot and myself are putting together some sort of fund raiser to be held at Keystone Madness.

I was thinking about a Van Maintanance Raffel,a case of oil a couple of gallona of anti freeze.a nice wash bucket soap shammies Armor All a gift certificate form advanced Auto parts,and a gas card.
My family is donating a gift certificate for 150.00 from Wal Mart and a 50.00 gas card to be added the what every money we raise.
Leadfoot is donating close to the same amount from the profits from "Van In" magazine

We are open to any and all suggestions for this fund raiser.

I was also thinking about bartering for tickets.Items like baby diapers,personal hygene stuff, gift cards,canned foods,We will send this stuff to Gregg and his family around the 20th.any cash we raise we will buy gift cards from Wal Mart ,Sears or Target so there will be a paper trail that can be followed.
Gregg assured us that any thing sent to his family will be greatly appreciated.What ever they cannot use they will pass it on to needy people in that area.

If you are not going to Keystone maddness and want to donate some thing.My address is:
Joe Russin
110 Orsburn Dr.
Joppa Md.
Thanks in advance for any help........Wookee

<small>[ September 08, 2005, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: wookee ]</small>

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now