Rate Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Children @ truck ins
#21918 August 03rd 2005 3:24 pm
Judee Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
Lets talk about children @ truck ins . Since we were mentioned in the NOVC news letter . My daughter has gone vanning with me , since 5 weeks old . She loves to go . She says she will have someone paint her a van like anime ( sum cartoons she watches )We have her come back to camp @ curfew . There is one event comming up that I do not let her go to . She likes meeting her friends at van in s . We have never had her in daycare , & No Grandma & pa to send her to when we want to go vannin . So if we had to leave her at home , THERE WOULD BE 2 LESS VANS AT SEVERAL EVENTS. There are alot of people who know her & if they see her messing up , they tell her & tell me to . This year at the Nats one of our club members had his kids come for the 1st time , He was never allowed to go when he was a kid . He is was located near the Nats , in the service . HE had a Blast , up at the band , he said to me , Why didnt my Dad let me go to these years ago ?? Now he is hooked . Well let me know what ya think , I can take it ..... [Wink]

AdSense long
Re: Children @ truck ins
#21919 August 03rd 2005 3:33 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
That event coming up wouldn't happen to be Slam, would it?

I didn't take my son to any events until he was 7 yrs old, for two reasons...one, I wuz even more broke than usual, and two, by 7 yrs old he's grown up enough to enjoy the kids games without needing mommy and daddy right there with him at all times....

I have no problem with other's kids at events, they can't be much worse than mine...

#21920 August 03rd 2005 4:15 pm
Old Timer
Old Timer
We have no problem with the kids. We have enough kids games at Butler too keep them busy.
Jim TRV

#21921 August 03rd 2005 5:23 pm
36th National Truckin Chairman
36th National Truckin Chairman
Good Topic. My kids started their lives at Truckins and have been going for many years. (This is a great way for them not to be nailed as puppies when they get their first van!) HOWEVER>>>>>>>>> When the kids turn 14,15,16,17,18 there is almost NOTHING for them to do at truckins other than hang out and wander around. We (all of us) to promote club sponsoreed evants for these young vanners especially if we wabt them to continue on in the sport. I have heard some clubs are testing mall runs, teen dances, allowing 16 and older in the games, etc.
The other thing is I was at a truckin where they enforced a curfew for thos 16 and under from the bandstand and then kids of the host club were attending the festivities. Please keep in mind to be fair to all and try to create fun and interesting things for our teens in vanning.
As far as the youngsters I think clubs do an excellent job with their kids games. Kudos to you!
Van the Earth,
Steve

#21922 August 03rd 2005 6:05 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
Ah, yes...the late night festivities....I'm not sure if even the most seasoned young vanner is ready for "Mom on Stage"....

#21923 August 04th 2005 12:48 am

National Truckin Board Rep

National Truckin Board Rep
And that brings the Question:
Why wasn't there much of a second generation of vanning?
Well, We locked our kids up at night so us adults could sit out and get stupid drunk while they sat inside and watched.
We never gave the teens enough to do at night but curfew them at 10. ( How do you tell a 15 year old out camping that he/she has to be in camp or bed by 10 pm?) Get real!
When they got old enough to be able to stay home they did and got involved with the kids with the hot cars and mini trucks and that is why they hang out with them.
These are answers givin to me by kids out here in the NW when they got older and I asked them why they didn't get vans.
Think about it when you want to know why vanning is dying. Where did our youth go?

#21924 August 04th 2005 5:55 am
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
I have been vanning for almost 30 yrs now and last summer my then 12 yr old daughter attended her first truck-in Super Somer. I asked a 2nd generation vanner from the club to make sure she wouldnt accidently wander in any wrong directions. Well she got hooked and is now a vanner in all sense of the word. She is now 13 and this spring we attended LMDW in NY. Even though it was a great time I noticed that really alot of what she did was wander this time. She loves all things about vanning and has brought others with us to other Evants exposing her friends to the vanning lifestyle. In some small way this is a positive thing .. you never know when these kids get older if they will want to become vanners. Wackover at our Evant Family Affair we made it as much a truck-in for the kids as it was for the parents. We had various activities which the kids always enjoyed. Our club rule was if there was any illegal substance abuse happening it would not be infront of the kids and to be done in the confines of ones van. Lets face it kids love the freedoms of what a truckin can provide to them. Its our responiblility to make sure they arent seeing the late night stuff. My daughter who is 13 looks like 19 acts like 24 will be always on a short leash if you understand but I wont limit her on gaining her over all enjoyment of becoming a vanner.

#21925 August 04th 2005 8:01 am
G
old hand
old hand
G
I DONT HAVE KIDS BUT WITHOUT THEM THERE IS NOTHING.

#21926 August 04th 2005 8:13 am
P.R. Wisconsin Van Council
P.R. Wisconsin Van Council
We have had this same issue with the 13 year olds and up, they are to old to play the kids games but not an adult. So what we did is allow them to play the adult games and receive a seperate trophy for teens. It seems to work cause more clubs are know doing it around here. We also got positive feedback from the teens, they were starting to feel included. We have a curfew but it is to go back to the campsite. They just cant be in the building.

#21927 August 04th 2005 8:56 am
Madman!
Madman!
Great points Steve and Dale...My daughters are 5 and 7. We take them everywhere we go (except to bars). They have been to more truckins than some of the people here. They have also been to Bikeweek at least 5 times.

If you enjoy the life that you live and feel it is a great way of life then you should include your kids in it.

Yes, there are things that go on at truckins that maybe little ones should not see, but that's what a parent is for. The only problem I see with kids at truckins is the parents who do not keep track of them.

I also realize that it is NOT all the parents responsibility when something goes wrong.....Stuff Happens!

I do have to say that as my girls get older, the LEASH will get much SHORTER!

#21928 August 04th 2005 9:07 am
enthusiast
enthusiast
I always took my 3 kidz to van-ins plus other club members kidz.Now they are in there mid 30s and have there own vans.Mommy Dearest did a great job controling what the kidz did and saw.When they where 16 yrs. old, they knew the routine.As far as my grandkidz go,thats up to there parents if they want to bring them (no baby sitting at events) for me.Lately I'm the one that needs a sitter. [Big Grin]

#21929 August 04th 2005 9:38 am
L
enthusiast
enthusiast
L
One of the first things I did at Super Somer was to make sure i introduced my daughter around and afterwards not infront of my daughter was to just say look if you see her anywhere shes not suppose to be let me know.. also she has a cell phone now and we have walkie talkies to keep in touch with.. Ken she doesnt realize it but her leash is short with the help of others keeping a watchful eye as well... At Family Affair we also had trophies and games for teens it worked well because as the kids got older and were now in there teens it was a natural progression to continue in the games....

#21930 August 04th 2005 10:15 am
Madman!
Madman!
I know wht you mean Dale, my girls are told at every eVant...Don't forget mommy and daddy know almost everyone here, so if you are bad we will find out! I hear you too Pop's Sometimes we are the ones in need of babysitting. I think thats why we always go walkabout in groups [Big Grin]

#21931 August 05th 2005 12:11 am
old hand
old hand
This is a good topic. Our Oldest is 19 now and has been vanning since she was 11 months old. She too did not like the idea of being back at camp by a certain time. But we told her its mom and dads time to spend together. M son really isn't into vanning that much anymore, but, he is 16 now and has friends that he hangs with. My youngest of course most of you know, is our lead trophy winner and loves to entertain people. When she is tired she just goes to bed. She is 14 now and can't participate in a lot of games now too. But she makes up for it. I am all for kids coming to events so they get the exsperience of what vanning is all about. My kids bring there friends too and they to want to come back again, again and again. This is also another way for Vanning to get noteriety too. Word of mouth and lots of pictures work too. Well thats my input about this..... Keep on Vannin young and old. Vanning is not dead....

#21932 August 04th 2005 1:34 pm
old hand
old hand
The Ideal scene is for all the activities to wear out my son. He is out cold by 11:30 at the very latest. He needs to be able to sleep through anything in my site. The more things there are for a kid to do the more likely it is that it is your event I attend. Tyler was only two moths old when he went to Midwest's Banquet and 3 months old when we took him 7 hours to Kentucky.
If you spend the time with them and show them why you are there, by the time the late night festivities begin he's the one passed out.
I was solo at this years Nats so there was no need to worry. But I do plan to go to certain events without him. When I got home, Tyler was only concerned with one thing, "When is the Early going to be on the street again"

#21933 August 04th 2005 2:19 pm
L
journeyman
journeyman
L
When my dad started bringing me to vannins I was about 13 years old. I never remember limits or curfew. If there was a curfew it was not enforced, then again I looked nothing like a 13yr. old eithter. My dad never followed me around or laid down a ton of rules to follow. He was never that way, even at home. I know that he had eyes watching me, though (keeping me out of trouble).

I have raised my boys in the same manner as my dad raised me. Although I am a bit more protective than my dad was or seemed to be and have a few more rules. As of late though, I have realized that they are not babies anymore and need a little bit of space to start spreading thier wings a bit.

My boys are 11 and 14. They hated the curfew;

1. because they felt they needed to protect me (because something thier dad said before we left). He told them they were his eyes and ears and to keep me out of trouble (huh, they took it literally).

2. The only time I have ever made them go to bed at 10 or before is during school.

The 11 year old (Ty) enjoyed himself a bit more once he made some friends around his age and got his first girl friend. Ty did say he wished that there was more to do (like some type of sport games to play). He did participate in a few of the art crafts for kids and the pie contest. On the other hand the 14 year old (Nate) did not have much fun at all. I could hardly get Nate to leave the camp let alone get him to meet people. Nate's biggest complaints is that there was nothing for him to do and he felt like he was being treated like a little kid (with the whole 10pm curfew thing). I am not going to give up on him yet though, he just needs to open his eyes a bit more to see the beauty of vannin.

Maybe my mistake was taking them to nats for the whole eight days. Maybe that was a bit much to handle for his first vannin.

I agree that there needs to be more for the 11 yr olds and up to do to keep them busy up to 10pm. Maybe after 10pm for say 11 and up have camp social time, where the kids can go to a desiganted area and hang out. Somewhere, where they can chat, hang out, maybe even watch a current movie. That way they get to stay up a few hours longer than the little kids. Maybe that was they won't feel like they are being treated like little kids.

#21934 August 04th 2005 3:12 pm
old hand
old hand
I was in charge of the Kids Activity Center at the Wi Nats. (Some people probably still have the Lost Kid Tags we made. There were also Kids Bibles)We were open from 8:00 am until 11:30pm every day. We had movies Video games. Hot Wheels Arts and crafts as well as any board game you can name. When there is enough for any age to do they all sleep well at night and look forward to morning. Not to mention it was the only cool building on the grounds during the day. We fed the kids twice a day and had most of the kids for most of the event. That was the hardest I ever had to work at a Nats. I prefer driving the Bus!

p.s. our budget for the whole thing was $350 and my wife and I made it happen.

#21935 August 04th 2005 3:41 pm
Madman!
Madman!
My girls still have theirs...Thay ask to make them every year at the Nats now... [Big Grin] It was a great thing for us parents too! Thank you!

#21936 August 04th 2005 11:01 pm
Old Timer
Old Timer
If not for the kids, who will carry this life style on.
Jim TRV

#21937 August 05th 2005 8:39 am
Madman!
Madman!
We've been saying that for years Jim. If we can't find new members we'll make them! [Big Grin]

#21938 August 05th 2005 3:21 pm
D
Deb Offline
old hand
old hand
D
I was 15 when my parents joined the Vanning Community, but I was almost 18 when my dad took me to my first truck-in. When he was in bed for the night, I had to go to bed also. I have a 19 yr. old daughter that has never been to an eVANt, due to me and her father wanting to do what we pleased without responsibilty. Well I regret that now, she could've been a third generation Vanner. I ask her if she wants to go with us now, but she's not interested. I have re-married in the past couple of years, of course to a Vanner. Now I have a 7 yr. old Stepson whom we DO take to eVANts and Garrick just loves it! I appreciate the fact that the Vanners do keep an eye on him and now I feel that having a child at an eVANt isn't so bad after all. So I am calling Garrick my third generation Vanner!

#21939 August 06th 2005 8:39 am
veteran
veteran
Take the kids while you still can. When I asked my 19 year old if he wanted to go with us to the Natz his reply was, 'Three days traveling in the van with you, No Way!'

#21940 August 07th 2005 2:22 pm
H
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
H
Beth and I both plans on bringing our kid with us to events. We want him to grow up vanning, with fellow vanners. I loved going to truck-ins as a kid, and it's a big part of why I still enjoy it so much now. Ironic, since the other "Young Guns" in the NOVC newsletter said kids shouldn't be allowed. But, like Ken said, my kid will make more runs than they do!

#21941 August 07th 2005 4:35 pm

Showoff of the week on Cardomain 11/26/07

Showoff of the week on Cardomain 11/26/07
Well back from a whirlwind tour of Canada, VT and NH and need to throw my 2% in here. We have been taking our girls with us for years. They are now 19, 16 and 14. They love vanning and the vanning family they have. They have several Aunts and Uncles at the events. They have all kinds of fun with the friends they have at them and the things they can do. People would say to us about being worried about the girls running around alone. They were never alone. They had their vanning family looking after them. Also if someone were to try something with any of the girls, there would probably not be much left for me to beat on because everyone else would have already taken care of them. I also have a next generation vanner in progress. Cassie's fiance' has been to 2 events now. Summerset and the Nats. He is hooked. He is already looking for a van to build and prefers mid Dodges from what I am hearing. Good boy. They both are working on ideas for themes. Make Dad proud. Almost as proud as when Cassie went to college. The first one from my family to do that and she wants to be a vet.
The events do need to have something for the older kids to do. The teenagers. Chooie and his wife did an excellent job at the Nats last year for the older kids. We gear for the younger with some of the games and for the adults. But seem to neglect the middle. All of us that throw events are sorta guilty of this. We could set up areas with X-Box's, PS-2's etc. TV's with videos. Space is the area for some of us though. I know at Thaw we do not have a good area to do this. No enclosed building. Someday we will figure it out. Just wanted to throw in my thoughts.

#21942 August 07th 2005 4:50 pm
D
journeyman
journeyman
D
Indeed, ive been going since like 5 months old, at least 1 event a year and i just got home from slam...as for the kid thing, why not, u just gotta keep things a lil bit chiller around the younger kids, till 10 then u can do what u want and not worry, i did notice there were HARDLY and kids at slam though, but slam isnt really a kids van in id say lol..it was quite qild...great time though...i need 2 new tires though....

#21943 August 07th 2005 7:21 pm
Judee Offline OP
journeyman
OP Offline
journeyman
So far I like what i'm reading . My 11 year old has been to more Van ins , than the young guns too , I'm sure ! But let them have their op [Big Grin] . All tho , in the NOVC news letter lady blue, call her April ( names Autumn ) But with all the Old school at Slam she & I usually stay home . When packing up this morning at slam all I herad was ...See ya next year. S#it I said Ill see ya next week , at CITA ..... [Smile]

#21944 August 07th 2005 8:44 pm
pooh-bah
pooh-bah
I posted somewhere before that my daughter won Youngest Vanner at Spring Fever at 5 weeks old & has been going since but that was 1987,she is now 18 & will be going to KS Univ starting next week & reminded me she will be on Break in Oct for H.O.A.V.C.'s HAVOC. in MO.

#21945 August 07th 2005 10:07 pm
D
dix Offline
enthusiast
enthusiast
D
at a truck-in you have to treat the kids as if they were your ownif you would not do something in front of your own child then don't do itinfront of some one elses.TRV. does this very well at butler.the street rod events have nothing for kids .so i don't go to them anymore.

#21946 August 08th 2005 7:58 am
Central Long Island Vans
Central Long Island Vans
I was 14 when my parents took me to my first run. I think it was Spring thaw or Penn Dutch.(1984). I have been going since. I have had my own van since 1988 and still plan my summers around Vannin. I now have three kids of my own and they also love to go Vannin. Things are not as crazy now like they were when I was a kid. I got my tatoo on a van run, met girls every weekend, partied with all the vanners....Today, the kids are kept busy with games all day and it would be hard for most kids to get in any trouble. I love the respect and concern for kids given by all my Vannin friends....Without being able to bring my kids to runs, well I wouldnt be able to go at all...Thanks to all

#21947 August 08th 2005 8:11 am
Vanner
Vanner
On the li9ghter side of kids at eVANt's Quote by a bar chain in Ontario on one of their T-Shirts" Philthy's Loves Kids " on the front. " They Taste Like Chicken " on the back ......lol [Eek!] [Wink] [Big Grin] Seriously, bring them, train them, keep the 2%alive.......Half the fun is in the conception.... [ August 08, 2005, 08:16 AM: Message edited by: Doc/Ontario ]

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Astro, nautic1 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 17 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users