Fully mechanical diesel would be the first models (1985 I believe) to about 1993 the 12 valve 6bt (don't forget the KDP). I could be wrong so don't quote me, these are not computer controlled at all. You could remove the battery, remove the alternator and lose all electrical throughout the entire rig and still keep on truckin. Snorkel would be advised, manual transmission is HIGHLY recommended, Dodge's automatics weren't quite reliable especially for those years unless you know how to fix one on the fly or can modify it to handle the torque the Cummins puts out. Throw in a one ton suspension if you've got the money to really burn get 2 corporate 14 bolt axles and have one converted to work for the front. Or a couple Ford 9 inch. Frame rigidity is a must make sure you have TONS of ammo and extra guns as well as extra parts. Before you trek out to higher grounds know your route and be sure to mark off local junk yards along the way. Every extra part counts. I've been planning for the zombie apocalypse for a while now too.

Gone vannin' I'll call you later.