The painter and I did some flake and candy test panels today. I think we worked out a solution but we ran into a big problem. The mask vinyl does not stand up to multiple coats of flake, etc. It started to peel badly. He was using regular clear. It might have been better had he used the intercoat clear stuff. I don't know.

It did work well enough for me to imagine what it might have looked like though. It wasn't going to look that great. This custom stuff is harder than I thought. We tried a few other things and came up with a new plan. Since I have the decals on the van already we are going to spray the candy under the flake. We might even use a different gold basecoat inside the panels. Then we will pull up the decals and shoot the flake.

In retrospect it may have been smarter to do the flake, then mask out the lines, then do the candy. Hopefully the result wont be too subtle.

The first pic shows the mask peeling up. He did a bit of candy on the edge over the flake.

The second pic the candy is under the flake. In the light it is just as sparkly as the first test.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Last edited by monkeyman; June 12th 2011 1:42 am.