Maples-

If you are looking for max MPG, I would suggest getting a late 302 with MAF fuel injection from a 87-93 Mustang. The MAF injection system from those years is a standalone system that won't need an input from the electronic transmission. You will need to add a vehicle speed sensor to the speedo cable, but this just slides into the stock speedo cable housing on your transmission with no modifications.

I am in the middle of swapping a previously carbed 1984 351W H.O. motor into my 1989 E-150. I had to change the water pump and timing chain cover to the carbed style to allow the serpentine belt system to function correctly, but that was a breeze with the motor out. All the fuel injection stuff bolted right up no problem.

Having gone through this swap, I can say that the most difficult part of retrofitting Ford fuel injection is fabricating the fuel lines and installing the high pressure fuel system. However, I know people add FI to older vehicles all the time, so with some research I am sure you could find the right parts to do this. I would think you would have to add a fuel shutoff switch, a high pressure-high capacity electric fuel pump, and a fuel return line. Fortunately, I have seen fittings that install into the fuel gauge sending unit that can be used for the return line. My 89 van was already fuel injected so I didn't have to mess with it, but i am looking at converting my brother's 74 Duster and 83 Dodge van to FI, so I have been researching how it can be done.

Everything else should be a direct bolt in. Make sure to get a complete 302 with all the fuel injection bits. However, you may need to swap to a low profile intake to clear the doghouse in the mid. Ford truck fuel injection intakes are pretty tall, but you may be able to use one from a Mustang. They are lower profile.

I say go with a MAF 302 and you will be VERY happy with the improvement. It would probably be easiest to just find a wrecked 90-93 Mustang and pull everything you need from that. Be sure to keep the flex plate that is on you motor now. Don't be a dork like me and use the wrong one and destroy your transmission.

Windows- they're what make a van worth owning!