3 29 Read More
Other Sites For Sale Forums Jump to new posts
1974 Chevrolet chevy van g10 $9,800 bigbongo Yesterday at 01:23 AM
2 47 Read More
Other Sites For Sale Forums Jump to new posts
1977 Dodge b 200 tradesman van Boogie $3,300 bigbongo Yesterday at 01:17 AM
3 40 Read More
Introduce Yourself..... Jump to new posts
Re: FINALLY DECIDED TO SINK ALL MY MONEY INTO CONVERTING A MINIVAN INTO A PERMENANT HOME! Wedgy March 26th 2024 11:43 pm
All depends on budget, how much work you want to do, and what suits you.

I really like my '94 Dodge B350 Xplorer 230. Self contained, propane heater, water heater, microwave, propane cooktop. Onan 2.8 KW genny, Rear full size bed, Toilet, shower, pretty nice unit, good layout for a single guy like me. Fresh, Grey, Black water tanks. I carry a portable solar setup that runs my CPAP. The van was $10,500 in 2012. From 3T RV in El Cajon. I will never be homeless. Reclining Captains chairs, fold down couch. Life is good. I full timed in it for 6 months moving to Texas.
Lovin' every minute.

MM Mike is right about the newer style hightops from Ram, Ford, Mercedes. You might check out fleet sales for used fleet vans, phone company, etc. I am partial to history, and the traditional Dodge, Ford, Chevy full size vans. If I had to do a mini, I like the 4.3 Astro. But I wouldn't even attempt to pull my boat up a 20 mile 7% grade with one. My Dodge will do that. Very carefully, A couple stops, checking my tranny temp gauge, but it will do it, and launch and retrieve the boat. And, it fits in a parking space.

The best unit to convert is one that, "Runs and it's paid for." Good Hunting, and Welcome!!
9 290 Read More
Re: FINALLY DECIDED TO SINK ALL MY MONEY INTO CONVERTING A MINIVAN INTO A PERMENANT HOME! frscke1 March 26th 2024 6:55 pm
9 290 Read More
craigslist Findings Jump to new posts
Re: 1969 Econoline E300 1,100.00 Sonoma CA MufflerMan Mike March 26th 2024 12:32 pm
That bracket is strange but I can overlook for the price.
1 36 Read More
Re: 1964 Corvair Van $6,800.00 Southern Utah MufflerMan Mike March 26th 2024 12:30 pm
Neato, that thing is sweet.
2 41 Read More
Re: 1963 Corvaiy Van $4,000.00 Garden Valley ID MufflerMan Mike March 26th 2024 12:28 pm
Still a cargo is tough to find, could be nice. Probably figured out that is a boat load of work to convert..
1 36 Read More
Re: FINALLY DECIDED TO SINK ALL MY MONEY INTO CONVERTING A MINIVAN INTO A PERMENANT HOME! ZenMuffin March 26th 2024 11:30 am
Thank you so much for the advice everyone:) As far as my 'caddy' reference, I was thinking about a volkswagen caddy minivan because I've read they are reliable. But, I've also heard that a Toyota Sienna Hybrid would be excellent too. I might also tank the induction cook top idea and go for propane as well. I am so appreciative for all the excellent info. I will definitely take it all into account:) It's nice to finally have a trustworthy source on vans van
9 290 Read More
Re: FINALLY DECIDED TO SINK ALL MY MONEY INTO CONVERTING A MINIVAN INTO A PERMENANT HOME! frscke1 March 26th 2024 2:04 am
This guy in OC is a dealer and will add 10K to any vehicle ...like this one thats worth 5k
9 290 Read More
Re: FINALLY DECIDED TO SINK ALL MY MONEY INTO CONVERTING A MINIVAN INTO A PERMENANT HOME! SDMickey March 26th 2024 1:58 am
ZenMuffin. Here you go. Ready to Rock n' Roll your Van life dream ! :

https://orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/d/foothill-ranch-chevrolet-g20-shorty-van/7730403981.html ( This guy in Orange County always gets clean vans )
9 290 Read More
1963 Corvaiy Van $4,000.00 Garden Valley ID SDMickey March 26th 2024 1:51 am
https://boise.craigslist.org/cto/d/banks-1963-corvair-van/7730834489.html

My previous Corvair post is a better deal from Southern Utah
1 36 Read More
1964 Corvair Van $6,800.00 Southern Utah SDMickey March 26th 2024 1:48 am
https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/cto/d/santa-clara-1964-corvair-van/7730884163.html

Pretty cool van. Looks like seats original. Dig the original green color
2 41 Read More
1969 Econoline E300 1,100.00 Sonoma CA SDMickey March 26th 2024 1:45 am
https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/cto/d/el-verano-69-ford-econoline-300/7730894011.html

Looks like good bones and a decent price ( funky side mirror set up )
1 36 Read More
Readers Rides Jump to new posts
Re: 1987 G20 Gypsy SDMickey March 26th 2024 1:39 am
Nice leather wrap
142 8,155 Read More
Re: FINALLY DECIDED TO SINK ALL MY MONEY INTO CONVERTING A MINIVAN INTO A PERMENANT HOME! SDMickey March 26th 2024 1:33 am
Welcome. I agree with Starlord and go for a full size van. Was your "Caddy" reference to an Escalade ?
9 290 Read More
Re: FINALLY DECIDED TO SINK ALL MY MONEY INTO CONVERTING A MINIVAN INTO A PERMENANT HOME! Starlord March 26th 2024 12:10 am
Welcome! OK, you've got me a little confused, you say a minivan but then mention a Caddy. If you are going to do a minivan, I would recommend an Astro otherwise you may start to become somewhat claustrophobic if you are up close and personal with the vehicle day in and day out. I would definitely consider a full size van instead of a minivan.
9 290 Read More
Re: FINALLY DECIDED TO SINK ALL MY MONEY INTO CONVERTING A MINIVAN INTO A PERMENANT HOME! MufflerMan Mike March 25th 2024 10:40 pm
Mini vans are a tough one, I have a customer with a 2008 Grand Caravan set up for living, the new Ford Transit and Ram Promaster have good overhead room, if I was doing it a
Short wheelbase Dodge B150 possibly a conversion van. As far as question on power Catfish will have insight into that.
Welcome to the site.
9 290 Read More
FINALLY DECIDED TO SINK ALL MY MONEY INTO CONVERTING A MINIVAN INTO A PERMENANT HOME! ZenMuffin March 25th 2024 7:50 pm
Hey, everyone! So happy to have found such an awesome community to be part of!

I've always wanted to live a full time van life. I figure if I wait until I'm rich enough to take a chance I'll never do it so I'm going for it now!
I've started researching everything from solar charge controllers to the cleverest storage hacks but I'm getting a bit overwhelmed. I can never tell if someone on YouTube is giving good advice or if they're just getting paid to sell me what they're recommending... There are just too many different opinions and I don't know what to trust!

After over 100 hours of YouTube research I realize that THIS group is one of the BEST and most TRUSTED resources available - DAMN, you folks know your stuff! So, I'd be eternally grateful to get your extensive experiential knowledge on TWO basic questions... HERE WE GO...

FIRST BIG QUESTION: What is the best minivan to convert into a permanent living space? I won't be traveling a whole lot (but still some - otherwise what's the point, right?) But this minivan will be my living and work space. A caddy's boxy shape would be nice and spacious to convert but low maintenance cost is my number one priority...

So, what do you think is the best year, make, and model to purchase for a minivan conversion?

SECOND BIG QUESTION: How powerful should my installed lithium battery and solar panel be? It's just me and I won't be doing a whole lot of driving, but I will be living my life in this minivan which means charging a laptop/phone, running a diesel heater sometimes, using LED lights at night, and cooking dinner on an induction cook top (no fridge or hot water heater)...

So, how much power should I plan on installing in this minivan?

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR HELPING OUT A NEWBIE! If you have ANY other newcomer advice to give me, PLEASE throw it out there! I'm a sponge for your expertise, folks!:) THANKS AGAIN!
9 290 Read More
Re: 1987 G20 Gypsy 1983 G20 Van March 25th 2024 10:25 am
I did spend a few hours working on this though. Lumina Euro steering wheel I picked up 20 years ago in practically new condition for $10-15 at a local junkyard. I covered it with a stitch on leather cover that came off the clearence rack at Oreilly. I think it was a $2.76 cover. Not bad a bad looking wheel for under $20 and it is super comfortable feeling being double leather wrapped. I considered dying the rest of it black, but I think I might just leave the center section the lighter grey color. It is not perfect but its probably been a decade since I have stitched one of those up. Guess I am going to get good at them though. Both the 97 Express and the 2011 Pathfinders OE steering wheels are starting to degrade a bit and I have the same style wraps for both of them. The one I have for the Pathfinder even has a couple of carbon fiber looking inserts in it that line up with the spokes on the wheel.

[Linked Image][Linked Image]
142 8,155 Read More
Re: 1987 G20 Gypsy 1983 G20 Van March 25th 2024 10:20 am
I am actually headed back to the shop in the next few days. Have a bunch of small miscellaneous stuff that has arrived to finish the project. New temperature and oil pressure sending units, a few electrical connectors, some silicone grommets for wiring, more harness looming tape and numerous other small items. Also have a set of shocks for all 4 corners. The all important license plate and registration has arrived from the state too. When I get back to the shop, those parts will be installed and then it will be visiting both an alignment shop and muffler shop. Then I will be cruising it around a bit, testing out all the systems before it makes its first ~100 mile road trip. My mom has a 50' x 20' metal covered car port beside her house. The interior will be largely gutted and re-done there. She has a nice commercial grade Singer sewing machine so that I can work on re-upholstering the seats. Because we have also been working on finishing a house remodel there (spent the last ~2 weeks working on a bathroom, kitchen island, tilling a garden area, mowing weed eating, etc), wood working tools and supplies are also there. Just easier to bring the project to the tools at this point.
142 8,155 Read More
Re: 1987 G20 Gypsy 1983 G20 Van March 25th 2024 10:05 am
Originally Posted by newkirkinc1
Nice crimper you got there.
I am really happy with it. I am glad I decided to tackle that job on my own. For a similar price to having hoses made one time, I can now make them for other projects in the future. Really a big cost saver when you are only paying for materials and not someone elses labor as well.
142 8,155 Read More
Re: 1974 Econoline Club Wagon $6500 Fresno CA MufflerMan Mike March 24th 2024 11:55 pm
Not too bad , either it's slammed or they put concrete flooring in it.
3 91 Read More
Re: 1995 Econoline Van $8500 Cornville AZ MufflerMan Mike March 24th 2024 11:53 pm
It has a Windsor that's a positive.
4 85 Read More
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Donate

Upcoming Events
discovery
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 24 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
TheDrunkenGunsmith, Jac, LOVclassics, ZenMuffin, Milkman530
12724 Registered Users